C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage of owning vett in snow areas.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Advantage of owning vett in snow areas.....

I got to thinking about some of yesterday's threads about us folks up North not being able to drive our corvettes for several months each year because of the snow........and then it hit me. We aren't to be pitied----we are the lucky ones. Those poor folks down South have to pay for all that extra gas for all those extra months of driving. Plus they really can't have any garage queens if they can drive year round. And the biggest drawback they have------I can't imagine how many times they have to wash, wax, polish their cars. Up North, we pretty much wash and detail it in April or May; maybe wash it once in the summer (we rinse the pollen and road dust off with a hose in the interim); and then again in October before we put it away. But, in places without snow they must be washing their cars almost monthly....and who knows how often they have to spend time waxing or polishing---or both...............yea, the more I thought about it, the better off we are up here with our 100 inches of snow........we have better things to do with our time........
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA!! Well put…. as a transplant myself to the south after living my entire life in the northeast, Ill say this…Id much rather pay for the extra gas and wash and wax it year round than shovel that crap that has taken over the region!! Good luck my friend, hope for a warm speedy spring.
The following users liked this post:
GoodtimesZ06 (02-25-2023)
Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

What better things to do? Wash and Wax the snow blower?????
Old 02-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

There's a whole new concept. I never thought about it that way before!

Sorta like,....If you like your plan, you can keep your plan.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Ah the crosses we have to bear...
Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Definitely a glass is half-full approach
Old 02-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Ah the crosses we have to bear...
Ahhh, you are so right.

Why just 2 weeks ago, my wife and I were cruising down the Intra-Coastal, near Ft. Lauderdale.
While looking at some of the homes, we were thinking how lucky are those folks that live up north.

Hey, some of us are fortunate, and some of us have to tolerate this...

Old 02-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Buck Henry
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I was all set to post a snarky "that's what you get for choosing to live up in frozen Yankee-land" reply. But then thought better of it due to "Hot-lanta (and my Vette) looking like this today.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM
mysloride
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow427
I got to thinking about some of yesterday's threads about us folks up North not being able to drive our corvettes for several months each year because of the snow........and then it hit me. We aren't to be pitied----we are the lucky ones. Those poor folks down South have to pay for all that extra gas for all those extra months of driving. Plus they really can't have any garage queens if they can drive year round. And the biggest drawback they have------I can't imagine how many times they have to wash, wax, polish their cars. Up North, we pretty much wash and detail it in April or May; maybe wash it once in the summer (we rinse the pollen and road dust off with a hose in the interim); and then again in October before we put it away. But, in places without snow they must be washing their cars almost monthly....and who knows how often they have to spend time waxing or polishing---or both...............yea, the more I thought about it, the better off we are up here with our 100 inches of snow........we have better things to do with our time........
Back slowly away from the computer...walk outside with no coat for about 5 minutes

Quit drinkin if you are drinkin or start drinkin if your not.

This happens a lot in February up in cold country.

Get on Netflicks and watch "Captain Ron" 3 times without stoping...there ya go...feelin better already aren't ya???
Old 02-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Walter S
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Love It

Now THAT is rich!! Yellow 427 and I are about 12 miles away from each other and I've been around 50 plus years and can't remember many Winters worse than this one. I think I will enjoy driving the GS this Spring and Summer with a new level of appreciation after this. The snow that was shoveled off of my roof covers the first floor windows so you can't see out. So... all of you fellow Corvette owners south of the snow belt enjoy your wax time....we have some catching up to do
Old 02-26-2015, 02:19 PM
salmonarmvette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You also forgot the $28 for 4 months of storage insurance.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well I feel your pain. Due to sleet one day then snow the next, I have not driven my C6 for 3 whole days!!!!!

Personally I will pay the extra gas and put in the time for all the extra detail/wax sessions.

No way would/could I live up North in the snow belt. 3 days is enough to give me cabin fever.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

It's like driving a new car every spring! ! And the miles stay low! My 10' GS has 22,000 miles since new!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:47 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
There's a whole new concept. I never thought about it that way before!

Sorta like,....If you like your plan, you can keep your plan.
Gorgeous pictures of the Fl scenery (yachts and mansions on the inter-coastal way) you posted yesterday. Man did they make one want to hit the lottery!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:16 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While there is some excitement built up waiting for this snow to melt so I can drive my corvette, I can't say that any part of me wouldn't prefer south Florida weather year round.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:26 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter S
Now THAT is rich!! Yellow 427 and I are about 12 miles away from each other and I've been around 50 plus years and can't remember many Winters worse than this one. I think I will enjoy driving the GS this Spring and Summer with a new level of appreciation after this. The snow that was shoveled off of my roof covers the first floor windows so you can't see out. So... all of you fellow Corvette owners south of the snow belt enjoy your wax time....we have some catching up to do
Very well said....! We haven't had the snow you have had ..BUTTTT, it has been freezing **s cold forever!!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Gorgeous pictures of the Fl scenery (yachts and mansions on the inter-coastal way) you posted yesterday. Man did they make one want to hit the lottery!
Some of the houses down here are just amazing.
Sometimes I'll look at a place, and think, ok, nice house, but it's only around 3,000 sq. ft., maybe 1 mil or so, no big deal.
Then I'm quietly told I'm looking at the guest house. The main house, is that 25 million dollar one over there.

Homes in the $25 to $40 million range are very common. I was at one place a few weeks ago, and asked about the taxes.
Ready? $736k per year!

Here's a few more...

Get notified of new replies

To Advantage of owning vett in snow areas.....

Old 02-26-2015, 07:10 PM
bigduke51
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default living up north

my 2012 100year centennial is in winter storage. I start it once a month. Iput the heated seats on and pray for summer then I say there goes six months of warranty HA HA
Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be driving mine 12 months out of year and probably little to no snow. Way I see it, I get to enjoy mine for 6 more months out of year
Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Like Don said it's like drivin a new car!!!

Quick Reply: Advantage of owning vett in snow areas.....