C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 or new Mustang GT Prem. with PP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:01 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
IMO, I don't think YOU understand what the OP was trying to find out……… namely info from those that have owned both and the objective reasoning for why ??

Before everyone poo-who's the "Stang, lets wait and see what kind of numbers the GT-350R puts down. Remember boys and girls it was brought out as a direct answer to the Camaro Z28 and we all know what kind of performance it's capable of !
An interesting thread to Paul is worthless to John, and vice versa.

.... not to mention that if one only seeks threads with a legitimate intellectual substance, one might wanna consider looking in places other than a car forum.

Have I mentioned the 2015 Stang was really hot looking?... Yes I would consider purchasing one, but not REPLACING the Vette with one.

Last edited by GuyFromLeMans; 02-23-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
An interesting thread to Paul is worthless to John, and vice versa.

.... not to mention that if one only seeks threads with a legitimate intellectual substance, one might wanna consider looking in places other than a car forum.

Have I mentioned the 2015 Stang was really hot looking?... Yes I would consider purchasing one, but not REPLACING the Vette with one.
WTF ????????? you obviously started on your Manhattans before I did tonight ! …………..
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mikado463
WTF ????????? you obviously started on your Manhattans before I did tonight ! …………..
I was only agreeing with your statement about the misunderstanding of the OP's original intentions through this thread, leading to his unnecessary (and relative) bashing.... but now that you mention it, I think I'll go for a fine little Cognac of mine just about now.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Chris Scott
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a Corvette and my race car is a Mustang Cobra and we have two other Mustangs in the driveway including a new 2015 Mustang with the premium interior package. Another set of Infiniti G35/G37 coupes as well. I say this to just point out that I am not biased or brand loyal whatsoever, I just love fast cars.

I didn't read through all three pages so excuse me if I'm repeating something, but drive both cars as you can not compare the two. I am not saying that one is better than the other, they are just completely different. I love the interior of the 2015, the interior fit and finish is unlike any other Mustang. We got the Infinitis because we loved the interior quality, nothing touches it for under $60k imo (It's like riding in a cloud!).

However I must admit the Mustang now takes the cake on that.

With the Corvette it is just a completely different experience. Even with the 4LT interior, it is still largely bland not of 'luxury' quality, which of course is completely fine with me because that's not what I needed.

The Mustang has a nice ride comfort and relaxing drive while the Corvette is low, rough, and just goes.

Both are fast and completely capable cars. Both look amazing. Both are tons of fun.

Do you have any requirements for 4 seats? Driving the Corvette is a bit annoying because I have to watch for steep curbs, potholes, be mindful of where I park, etc.

Anyways, drive both and it will be instantly clear as to what you really want! Good luck and please share whatever you go with!

Another thing to think about too is if you're still young like myself, maybe try and take advantage of purchasing a less practical two-seater while you can? lol

Also size plays a big part, I'm 5'8" and 150lbs and in my 20s so I can still jump in and out of all of my favorite cars with no problem. Meanwhile my taller/larger friends have problems fitting comfortably inside, and I couldn't imagine if they had to fit with the steering wheel and deal with it everyday.

Last edited by Chris Scott; 02-23-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
I was only agreeing with your statement about the misunderstanding of the OP's original intentions through this thread, leading to his unnecessary (and relative) bashing.... but now that you mention it, I think I'll go for a fine little Cognac of mine just about now.
Ah…ha, OK , I confess I had two manhattans before dinner tonite ! ..
Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
I own a Corvette and my race car is a Mustang Cobra and we have two other Mustangs in the driveway including a new 2015 Mustang with the premium interior package. Another set of Infiniti G35/G37 coupes as well. I say this to just point out that I am not biased or brand loyal whatsoever, I just love fast cars.

I didn't read through all three pages so excuse me if I'm repeating something, but drive both cars as you can not compare the two. I am not saying that one is better than the other, they are just completely different. I love the interior of the 2015, the interior fit and finish is unlike any other Mustang. We got the Infinitis because we loved the interior quality, nothing touches it for under $60k imo (It's like riding in a cloud!).

However I must admit the Mustang now takes the cake on that.

With the Corvette it is just a completely different experience. Even with the 4LT interior, it is still largely bland not of 'luxury' quality, which of course is completely fine with me because that's not what I needed.

The Mustang has a nice ride comfort and relaxing drive while the Corvette is low, rough, and just goes.

Both are fast and completely capable cars. Both look amazing. Both are tons of fun.

Do you have any requirements for 4 seats? Driving the Corvette is a bit annoying because I have to watch for steep curbs, potholes, be mindful of where I park, etc.

Anyways, drive both and it will be instantly clear as to what you really want! Good luck and please share whatever you go with!

Another thing to think about too is if you're still young like myself, maybe try and take advantage of purchasing a less practical two-seater while you can? lol

Also size plays a big part, I'm 5'8" and 150lbs and in my 20s so I can still jump in and out of all of my favorite cars with no problem. Meanwhile my taller/larger friends have problems fitting comfortably inside, and I couldn't imagine if they had to fit with the steering wheel and deal with it everyday.
Chris, I'm sorry but you come across a tad weird here:
Your post is very well constructed, free of typos and grammatical errors, very informative and expressed in a courteous manner.

Please don't do this again.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, mostly....

Yeah, I definitely need to test drive some cars. I was pretty bummed that it seems no DFW dealer allows test drives of C7 cars. I will rent one when the weather gets better as well as drive some C6 cars.

Yes, I already know I want a sports car. As I said, I have never previously had any interest in domestic offerings, so I honestly never knew it was vehemently determined that a Corvette is and a Mustang is not.

Surprisingly, on the Mustang forum as well, most people recommend the vette. It makes me wonder why more people just don't buy a vette then.

As I said over there, the straight line performance on the GT is plenty. What I want is the power along with the handling like that of my previous RX8. I can afford a new 'vette if I want (not cash though, well, wouldn't pay cash even if I could), but if the Mustang GT has 90% of the handling of a C7 non-Z51, then I would be happy with that. However, I want that low-to-the-ground feeling, which I don't know if the Mustang can offer assuming some mild suspension upgrades.

The car will be my 'DD', but I do not drive everyday, and when I do, it is just for my own personal reasons. Though I do enjoy driving just to drive. I do not drive just to drive in the Prius, so I honestly only fill that up once every 4-6 weeks.

I am small, 5'8" @ 140 pounds, so I would rather prefer something NOT designed for the average American.

I am concerned about the quality of the seat itself. I am still recovering from a herniated disk. The GT Prem. seat felt pretty comfortable. The 2LT C7 seat felt a little thinner or harder in padding, but again, I couldn't drive, so hard to say if it would bother me or not.

A rough ride will not bother my back. If the seat doesn't support my upper leg right, then it will.

Don't give a flying F about rear seats as long as the trunk is large enough to fit my gym, yoga, and tennis stuff.

After reading everyone's posts, I am leaning toward just being a bit more patient and ordering a 2016 C7, but I definitely need to test drive some more cars when the weather gets better again.

Lastly, I generally enjoy collecting data. I always find that when I get other's perspectives, I realize things I never considered, learn new info I never knew or even suspected, am reminded of things that I blew off that maybe requires more attention, and get to see trends in thinking towards something. I find that having such knowledge produces a better result when evaluating, i.e., the test drives in this case.

Getting a vette will require more time dealing with the other half though.... Sigh...

At any rate, my original question was not regarding which car has better performance, but which car is the better TOTAL PACKAGE, including the cost vs. overall satisfaction ratio. That is key for me. And it seems like maybe a C7 is it.

Last edited by Djeayzonne; 02-23-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My first car back in the 70s was a mustang, and I've had many, including my last supercharged cobra convertible....enjoyed most of them, but once I set my mind on getting the best car for the money,I knew a Vette was it..... the new mustang is the real deal...they did a great job on really transforming the platform... but if you are gonna go crazy and pay retail with the performance pack 5.0 gt, then you will take a beating later when you sell it... Maybe you are better off getting a correctly optioned v6(they run great, maybe faster than the 4.6 gt s of just a few years ago) if it's just gonna be a run around car...

If you are a young guy pulling up in a Prius to test drive brand new stingray, that doesn't give you a lot of clout... So you need to be Very direct with a salesman on a lot that has 20 sitting ready to go... tell them you ARE buying a corvette and just trying to decide between a new c7 and a used c6....If it's a dealer that only has one c7, they probably aren't in a hurry to let everybody test drive it... I've got to assume in the Dallas area there's at least one big player that has a large allotment...

I wasn't even coming in for a test drive at one dealer,,, pulled in with my cobra top down next to the only c7 on the lot where everyone was gathered around drooling and the sales geek says first thing....wanna go for a test drive? I of course said yes, since it was the first one I had seen in person....but I did ask if they had one with a manual/stick and he said no, they will only get 4 allotted for the year, and they were all ordered with auto...?

You will love both.....and if your goal isn't to track the car, and use it as a fun run around car, I vote to not rule out a 2012 or 13 base c6.....you can find a virtually brand new one very well priced if you take your time....great performance on the street when you want it, very surprising gas mileage(30mpg hyw).....Targa is awesome.... warranty still on them....the last run of c6s are very refined, have the best interiors, most of the quirks had been solved by then... unless you just can't live with out the wide booty, then get a gs...

And the other very surprising thing about the c6....lots of storage...as long as you are never gonna need a back seat....

The mustang will be unique for the first year, then there will be one at every redight,
the Vette is, well, it's a Vette!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Djeayzonne
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *Trip*
If you are a young guy pulling up in a Prius to test drive brand new stingray, that doesn't give you a lot of clout... So you need to be Very direct with a salesman on a lot that has 20 sitting ready to go... tell them you ARE buying a corvette and just trying to decide between a new c7 and a used c6....If it's a dealer that only has one c7, they probably aren't in a hurry to let everybody test drive it... I've got to assume in the Dallas area there's at least one big player that has a large allotment...
Yeah, this might be my strength and curse, lol. I am not that young (38), but everyone thinks I am in my early-mid 20s. Even when I was an IT Program Manager and wearing the appropriate attire, I was running a meeting once and someone asked me who I thought I was trying to run a meeting as a college intern.

I will try your approach on "it's going to be some kind of corvette one way or the other" though.

Last edited by Djeayzonne; 02-23-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 AM
dlind4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you had a rx8 then you should get a corvette. I bought my wife a brand new 2014 mustang gt last year. Nice car but my 08 vette is lighter and handles much better. You can't really compare the two cars.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Apples and Oranges.

The Corvette is a sports car. The Mustang is a Pony / Muscle Car. They are in two different categories. So drive both and make your decision. Both have a lot of heritage behind them. It's just a matter of what you want. I like both, but I prefer my 2014 Mustang. I'm not a fan of the 2015. I could have bought either (for cash). But I chose the 2014.

And yes, the manuals in the Mustangs before 2015 are crap. The automatics are solid and can support upwards of 550-575hp and stay reliable. The days of traditional manual transmissions are limited. It's the trickle down effect. All the top end exotics don't even come with traditional manuals anymore because they (Manumatics) are faster and more efficient.

You should also factor in servicing as well, no offense to anyone here, but many Chevy dealerships tend to service cars that are econoboxes 90% of the time and there have been horror stories. (my uncle owns a 2004 C4). My Ford dealer is excellent and has its own body shop that guarantees any work done for the life of the car. That's not to say all Ford dealerships are like this (they aren't). But compared to the dodge dealerships in my area (I also considered a Challenger) they are a night and day difference.

I will say this, having had two back surgeries, and the last one being a quad spinal fusion. I couldn't imagine sliding myself into a Corvette every day at 6'3 and 230 pounds. My 2014 is comfortable and not an issue. The Challenger was more comfortable, but after dealing with all the Dodge dealerships in the area, I just couldn't take their games and 1980's sleazy sales tactics. So they lost a sale.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 02-24-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:54 AM
bontrager
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be a tough decision in my humble opinion.

My last two corvettes were convertibles (currently own a 2005 vert) because I don't care for the look of the expansive glass hatch back. The C7 does a better job in this regard.

About 6 weeks ago my local Ford dealer had 3 2015 in stock, ( all 4 cylinder turbos).

I wanted to test drive a Mustang but couldn't that day and now they all have been sold, probably weeks ago. I like the new styling of the 2015 only and don't care for the look of any previous Mustang.

You will need to drive both to make a decision.

Also if you care for open air driving both the vette coupe and vert will offer this; it will be an option on the mustang.

If it was my option now, I would only buy a C7 and if I could afford it. If not, I would probably go with the 2015 Mustang over a C6.

Good luck

Last edited by bontrager; 02-24-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: speling
Old 02-24-2015, 02:00 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

The new Mustang is going to be light years ahead of the C6 Corvette in terms of build quality and fit/finish as well as a much better interior/seats. C6 is going to be much more fun to drive.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

There is one of each in my driveway. The Wifey's 2013 GT Convertible, and my '07 C6 Convertible. To say they are different is quite an understatement. Both are fun yes, both are quick yes, both handle well yes. That's as close as they get. As stated above it would do you well to find a C7 to drive (they can be found), and then the same day of possible drive a new Mustang. That is the only way to get the answer you're looking for. Good luck on your hunt for the right car.

Disclaimer - I haven't driven a C7 on purpose because the Wifey would certainly kill me dead dead dead if I said I was going to buy a new Vette. She loves the C6 to much right now. And, I don't need to drive a new Mustang because that isn't my car, or my decision to make.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
The new Mustang is going to be light years ahead of the C6 Corvette in terms of build quality and fit/finish as well as a much better interior/seats. C6 is going to be much more fun to drive.
But in saying that don't you agree that every new model the car will evolve to a better product?? Its what the car manufactures' depend on to tease un fans, but I'll just appreciate what I have for now, 2011 GS
NSF
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Saluki_1984
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A mustang gt with track pack won't hold a candle to a c6 z06 or a C7. All 3 are awesome cars in my opinion but there's a reason I'm posting here and not mustangforum.com 05 MT and the looks are beautiful on these vettes.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It's really quite laughable how some of you are trying to compare a 45k car ('Stang) against a Vette, 20-50k more. Again, as I stated earlier…….. let's see what a 63-65k Car (GT-350R) does, don't be surprised if it spanks our beloved 'Base Vette' (same price level) …………or beyond ??

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 or new Mustang GT Prem. with PP?

Old 07-29-2015, 03:57 AM
El_Phantasmo
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

This may or may not help you but here goes:

I've owned 7 Mustangs (still own one, an '87 GT) and at the time my wife bought her 2008 Corvette, I still had my 2010 GT.

When we pulled her Vette into the garage for the first time and parked it next to my 2010 Mustang, I instantly fell out of love with the Mustang. It looked like a huge rhinoceros sitting next to a lean and mean cheetah. It looked bloated and huge, fat, and clumsy.

Within the week I sold the 2010 GT, I couldn't foresee a scenario where when I had time to drive one of the "fun" cars and not my 4Runner, I would even dream of grabbing the key to the 2010 GT. I imagined it would sit there unused, so it had to go.

I sold the 2010 and never regretted it for a minute. I kept the '87, because that car is just a blast on a whole other level! Totally visceral, and spartan, and unrefined, I love it! And surprisingly it gets as many thumbs up and looks as the Vette does, whereas the 2010 got zero. It was just another Mustang.

I really dig the looks of the new 2015 Mustangs, but not enough to ever go back to one. I have officially become a "Vette guy" I guess. (even though I don't "officially" own one yet, it's my wife's) Her 2008 is such an amazing machine, I never stop smiling when I'm driving it. It's so much fun, I find myself thinking of excuses and stupid little errands to run so that I can drive it!

I love when my wife asks to borrow my 4Runner for the day! That means I get to drive the Vette!

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I went through this same issue just last August. Have a little advantage in that I had a C5 previously and I have friends with C5, C6, C7's. I did drive a few Mustangs (although 2012, 2013 not a brand new one) for compare and I purchased my current C6. Mustangs were fine and the one GT500 that I drove was really pretty sweet. To me..when going from the Mustang to the Vette and back right after the other the Mustang seemed really big. Was it easier to get in/out of.. yes. But that is not really an issue for me anyway. I like the Mustang, just when I weighed in on what I really wanted, the Vette won on most of the "check list" that I had written down. My Vette is my daily (rain or shine) driver as well.

Good Luck with which ever you decide to do. both can be fun cars and both brands have a lot of loyal followers.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:29 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

WGAF what anyone else thinks. Next time, let the f'ker sit there.

Tired of being polite only to be snubbed in return.

Azzholes....F'k em.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 06-22-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 or new Mustang GT Prem. with PP?