C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 4 Post Lift - Advice? Dealers? Installers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:11 PM
asantalucia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying 4 Post Lift - Advice? Dealers? Installers?

Hi Forum Friends,

I have been thinking about buying a 4 post lift for a couple of years and I am finally ready to do it. My wife is adament that I need to have it professionally installed and that I am not allowed to do a self install. Apparently she is worried about the quality of my work.

My question for the forum is what vendors have you used that will sell you a good quality 4 post lift, install it and hopefully service it as required.

I live in the Raleigh, NC area and I have tried to call a couple of professional lift installers that do installs for car dealership service departments, but they don't want to work on residential installs.

Any help would be appreciated. Last thing I need is to be trapped under my Corvette and lift due to a bad self install.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:49 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

😎. Hanging out to see what everyone says
Old 02-05-2015, 06:35 PM
rdoine
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Greg Smith Equipment Sales Inc. They can also recommend installers in your area. Although, when a friend and I ordered ours, we got two other friends and installed them both in one day. It is not hard if you follow the instructions and have some extra muscle.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Check the Bendpak website. I think they have a list of recommended installers but not sure. And Bendpak are great lifts. Just sayin'.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:03 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Myself and so.e others on here have Eagle lifts and love them. MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE AND REMEASURE if you are going to put one car under the lift as the ceiling height will come into play. I have 3/4 of an inch from the top of the bottom car to the lift ramps and 1 inch from the top of the Corvette to the ceiling.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on the other end of the County from you, have had same thoughts....but I am authorized to self install, just haven't picked a lift yet.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I bought mine from Greg Smith. Quality is good. There are better and worse ones out there. the instructions were pretty good and assembly / installation was not that hard. Two buddies and my wife helped. We used a engine hoist to maneuver the ramps into position.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Bill Daughterive
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asantalucia
Hi Forum Friends,

I have been thinking about buying a 4 post lift for a couple of years and I am finally ready to do it. My wife is adament that I need to have it professionally installed and that I am not allowed to do a self install. Apparently she is worried about the quality of my work.

My question for the forum is what vendors have you used that will sell you a good quality 4 post lift, install it and hopefully service it as required.

I live in the Raleigh, NC area and I have tried to call a couple of professional lift installers that do installs for car dealership service departments, but they don't want to work on residential installs.

Any help would be appreciated. Last thing I need is to be trapped under my Corvette and lift due to a bad self install.

Thanks!
I bought a lift a couple years ago, a BendPak HD9, from ASE. They were very good to deal with and hooked me up with Rose Equipment Co from Rocky Mount NC.
They did a great job on the install and it was up and running by lunch time on the install day (started about 8:00)
ASE was great about installation and pre-delivery stuff like electrical requirements.
Lift has been a great asset. I do mostly oil changes, light mechanical work and detailing on my cars. Wouldnt be without it.
By the way... I'm not Bill from King of the Hill and I don't live in Arlen , Texas....
Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Forum Friends,

Thanks!
A former neighbor near Pittsboro has one or two lifts in his garage, along with several Vettes. I'll send you contact info in a PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 PM
woody6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Forum Friends,

Thanks!
I bought a lift several years ago, and I will tell you that you will never regret it. Like a good floor jack, after you have one, you can't imagine working without it.

I recommend you try and see some examples, either at a large car show where vendors show up, or from owners in your area.

When I went shopping, I had a couple of things I was insistent upon. I wanted the collar-over-post design, and I wanted American made. I bought one from Earl at AllAmericanLifts, who unfortunately is no longer in business. They and BackyardBuddy both use the collar-over-post design. Check out some videos on the BackyardBuddy website about why you might prefer this design.

I have a friend who has one of the bendpak lifts. It is prettier than mine in its smooth blue paint, but I do not feel as safe around it. There used to be a video online of a collar-over-post design lift that had a vw golf on it (elevated). Someone intentionally ran into the lift with a forklift, and the lift moved laterally - car and all.

With some of the foreign-made lifts I looked at, pushing on one of the legs could very possibly release the catch on that corner (no doubt why the manufacturers want you to bolt them down). The latch rests on a block welded inside a C-channel, so leaning one leg could potentially unlatch it.

On my lift, with the car on the locks, you cannot release it unless you can raise it. Even friends who have used both mine and my friends have commented on how mine seems sturdier.

Below is a picture, albeit without the corvette. Best of luck on your quest!

--Woody

Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

You are probably 80 miles from Eagle equipment in Greensboro. I bought 2 -4 posts from them and a 2post. All 3 have given good service. If you haggle with them, you might get them to knock off a few bucks. I got them to knock $150 off when I bought the second 4 post.

I hauled mine home on my car hauler and with the help of 3 friends and a cooler of beer, we had them up in a day. The pieces are heavy
Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Go here http://www.autolift.org

Here you will find out more about lifts, etc. If nothing else make sure your lift is ALI certified. If it's not walk away.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Jermo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 4 post lift

A friend and I put mine together in a day. It's really not that hard, just follow the instructions, and save yourself $$.
Once you purchase the lift, either you put it together yourself or pay someone to do so, once you use it, you will kick yourself for waiting to make the purchase.
I have had mine for about 4 years now and it's by far the best tool I have ever purchased. It has payed for it's self several times over and over
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
Myself and so.e others on here have Eagle lifts and love them. MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE AND REMEASURE if you are going to put one car under the lift as the ceiling height will come into play. I have 3/4 of an inch from the top of the bottom car to the lift ramps and 1 inch from the top of the Corvette to the ceiling.
Yup... I have three Eagle lifts (one GLO-7000 and two GLO-8000) .... LOVE them. Never had any issues with them.

I installed all three myself. Chose to do that becuase I know friends who also have various models of lifts who had them "professionally" installed (cough, yak) and they endup up having to tighten bolts or tweak the lifts themselves anyway.

It's not difficult to assemble these, just takes a a little time (few hours) / some form of lifting capablity for the long / heavy parts (I used an engine hoist to do mine but you could do it with 3 or 4 guys).

Most difficult part is the cable adjustment and that is more about patience than anything.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 AM
timvan
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive been researching this as well - my findings:

Backyard Buddy - pricing is just ridiculous for a uncertified lift. $5395.00 for a 7k lb "over height" lift and the accessories are priced high as well. Made in USA

Bendpak - competitive pricing esp compared to backyard buddy used in many shops through the world - certified.

Greg Smith - Amazingly affordable, quality seems decent, many satisfied customers (hobbyist) not certified.

Eagle - much the same as Greg Smith, perhaps better quality??

Personally, I am hard pressed between the Greg Smith and a BendPak. The Greg Smith is about $1500.00 less if you calculate the added included accessories. I have a Greg Smith motorcycle lift that's been great for the last 7 years, however I don't have to stand under it or place a car under it.

Last edited by timvan; 02-06-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:32 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Mine is pretty old, around 2000, Here is what it takes to install it. It really isn't too hard but the stuff is heavy.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/jerryc5/index.shtml

When I moved, I took it down and installed in my new garage.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:45 AM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

My friend bought a Pro Pac 8- 4 post lift from Direct Lifts. rented a trailer.picked it up at their warehouse(they have one in NC)brought it home and had it up and running in about 6hrs. We are in our 70s if we can do it I am sure you and a few friends can do it also. Don't waste money paying someone else to install it.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying 4 Post Lift - Advice? Dealers? Installers?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Don't forget garage dimensions are very important! I had to add a panel to my garage door. That caused problems with garage door openers being too close to the ceiling. How high is your garage ceiling? I know that Corvettes never leak oil, or other fluids but that was always a big concern too as occasionally other GM products are over the Corvette! Drip pans and I even use plastic to catch droppings are a must.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:27 PM
asantalucia
Instructor

Bump.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:34 PM
fuel-guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a rotory, installed it myself. follow the instructions, its easy.

Car is up in the air right now.........I think, I hope.

Been together 5 years now. Make sure its level and follow the instructions.

Quick Reply: Buying 4 Post Lift - Advice? Dealers? Installers?