C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to jack up by car with a standard jack and no pucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:02 AM
tibasnatch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best way to jack up by car with a standard jack and no pucks?

Want to change my brake pads tomorrow and I just have a standard jack. I looked this up but see most people use pucks. I would go get some at a local autozone but they dont sell them..

If I want to lift up the back I usually just put the jack under the side skirt and do it from there (previous cars) but i read you cant do that without the pucks?

I saw a picture of someone with a 2x4 and jacking with that on the rear main frame.

What do you recommend?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:43 AM
camgci
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tibasnatch
Want to change my brake pads tomorrow and I just have a standard jack. I looked this up but see most people use pucks. I would go get some at a local autozone but they dont sell them..

If I want to lift up the back I usually just put the jack under the side skirt and do it from there (previous cars) but i read you cant do that without the pucks?

What do you recommend?
I saw a picture of someone with a 2x4 and jacking with that on the rear main frame.

I got my pucks at a sporting goods store. You can use a standard jack under the rear, but hard to fit under front. Do not try to jack under side frames without the pucks. You can make your own with 3/4 plywood and a hole saw.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Just use a hunk of wood between jack and frame. The only reason is not to damage the rocker panel.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

And believe me they can get damaged
Let us know how the pad-let change goes, gonna do it myself pretty soon, I've been told by many that it's quite easy, hope so
NSF
Old 01-17-2015, 11:04 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 09 is lowered and corner weighted. I made ramps out of 2X 10's I had. I beveled the edge I drive up on. Then placed a 2nd 2X10 on top of 1st 2X10. 1st 2X10 is about 3 ft long and 2nd 2X10 is about 14 in. Its beveled too. Place at front tires, drive up on 1st 2X10, then drive up on 2nd 2X10. Place small 2X4 on jack cradle and jack at center of car on frame.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:12 AM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can just jack the car normally... just use caution and check several times to make sure the jack is not moving onto the sideskirts.

this forum blows things way out of proportion sometimes.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:18 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by theblue
you can just jack the car normally... just use caution and check several times to make sure the jack is not moving onto the sideskirts.

Agreed. There is plenty of space around the rocker panel to place a jack pad on the frame without a puck being needed.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:23 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

The following photos show the ramps to drive onto and wooden "cradles" I made for jacking and jackstand use. The wood makes a very stable base and protect the aluminum crossmembers. These photos were taken under our previous C5, but I still use the same pieces under our current C6.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Nice Jim, yes sir
NSF
Old 01-17-2015, 04:34 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by theblue

Originally Posted by EVRose
Agreed. There is plenty of space around the rocker panel to place a jack pad on the frame without a puck being needed.

I had my car in the air yesterday to change out the rear dif fluid. Although I have pucks, I did not use them this time. I just put the jack on the area where you would normally use the pucks. I made sure it would not come into contact with the rocker panel and started jacking away. I put 2 stands under the front cradle then jacked up the rear from the rear cradle and put 2 stands under that to remove the jack. This was so the car was level for the dif fluid change. All of that may not be necessary depending on what plan on doing under there.

Don't overcomplicate things. Sometimes this forum makes the Corvette out to be something other than a car.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

IMHO if the "new" Corvette owner DOESNT see these various warnings then there is the possibility of doing damage, so I take it all in and appreciate the info. Keep it coming, if you already know how to do everything then why read the posts???
NSF
Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I took a piece of 2 X 1 I had laying around and cut them about 4 inches long and put the jack under the side, then place 2 pieces of the wood on top of each other and jack it up. I really need to buy some wood or go pick up scrapes around a construction site.

One thing I did learn which may be helpful is if you jacking all 4 wheels off the ground, start with the front. If you do the back first, it makes the front even lower than it already is and it can be impossible to get a jack under it. So do the two front wheels then the back.

I have also purchased 2, yes 2, low profile jacks since I bought my Corvette last year. They really are worth it and pay for themselves quickly. It is so much easier than driving up on boards, then trying to get a regular jack under it, then setting it back on the boards and driving it off.

Not sure if this helped any but thought I would share.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:03 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
IMHO if the "new" Corvette owner DOESNT see these various warnings then there is the possibility of doing damage, so I take it all in and appreciate the info. Keep it coming, if you already know how to do everything then why read the posts???
NSF
I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not but since it was right after my post, I'll make that assumption.

I don't recall saying or even implying I knew how to do everything. On the contrary. I read the posts for the same reason you do, to learn. And if there is a rare occurrence where my limited knowledge can actually assist someone, then I will offer up my experience and opinion. If all of the "know-it-alls" as you proclaim them to be, didn't read the posts, how would they help people such as yourself?

There is no special inherent danger jacking up a Corvette when compared to any other car. If your sop for jacking up a car is to roll the jack under the car and start pumping away without looking to see what the jack will come in contact with, well then you should be dropping the car off at the nearest garage or dealer for maintenance work.

Although this forum is a tremendous source of helpful information, it's also a tremendous source of unnecessary anxiety. The owner's manual warns against improper lifting, as do all vehicle owner manuals. I'm not chastising the OP for asking the question. If he has any doubt, he should of course ask and research. But based on his comments, it's most likely the forum that gave him the doubt to begin with. I'm merely suggesting to him not to worry so much. Use the same educated diligence he hopefully uses when working on other cars.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Just finished building the ramps and "cradles "ala duckvett pictures, but for the life of me when some guys say they have a lowered Corvette I don't know how you do it, mine is stock and still a PITA even with the ramps its close.
Hope my neighbors floor jack is a low profile
Oh yeah, I found the ramps slipped on the concrete floor so I put some of the shelving/drawer rubber bubbly stuff on the backside and no slide anymore
Off to get the brakes pads and see if I can screw that up, hope not anyways PEACE
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to jack up by car with a standard jack and no pucks?

Quick Reply: Best way to jack up by car with a standard jack and no pucks?