C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor customer service - Jim Trenary Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:52 PM
719c6
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Poor customer service - Jim Trenary Chevrolet

Just rec'd car back from the headlight recall. It was taken to Jim Trenary Chevrolet in Union, MO.

After picking car up, which happened to be dark, I head on over to QT to top off the tank, 93 octane at $1.95.

Get out and see the car under lights. Covered in friggin' greasy hand prints. Driver's window, targa top (guess he used the top as a handle to get in and out) and the hood. I get it, my C6 isn't as new as the C7 they have displayed in the showroom but I do try and take care of it. WTH.

Common courtesy to at least wipe it off, oh no. Wash your friggin' hands before getting in and out? Reckin' not.

Common experience? Or am I just being picky?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:57 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Your first mistake was not driving a little further to Elco in Ballwin. I live in Staunton, Il (quite a haul to Elco), but will not have my Vette touched by anyone else. They pride themselves in specializing in Corvettes.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:59 PM
719c6
Instructor

Safe to say, that's the last time they see my mine.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:04 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 719c6
Just rec'd car back from the headlight recall. It was taken to Jim Trenary Chevrolet in Union, MO.

After picking car up, which happened to be dark, I head on over to QT to top off the tank, 93 octane at $1.95.

Get out and see the car under lights. Covered in friggin' greasy hand prints. Driver's window, targa top (guess he used the top as a handle to get in and out) and the hood. I get it, my C6 isn't as new as the C7 they have displayed in the showroom but I do try and take care of it. WTH.

Common courtesy to at least wipe it off, oh no. Wash your friggin' hands before getting in and out? Reckin' not.

Common experience? Or am I just being picky?
Your experience sounds like mine in a different shade of crap. I dropped off my car (2013 GS) at the dealership's service department a few weeks ago. The maintenance was for my drivers side seat heater & lumbar/side bolster INOP). It was fixed under warranty but at what cost to my peace of mind? When I picked it up, the rear view mirror was bent to the side, the paper floor mat was still on the floor, the seat was not in the position I left it in, there were greasy finger prints on the rear hatch & there was a half eaten bag of potato chips in the back! I left some brutally honest customer feedback w/a customer satisfaction survey. The Chevrolet Service Manager from the big office gave me an 'apology phone call', but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole experience...It's not a C7 but geesh, it's not a POS '87 Civic!

Last edited by dmoneychris; 01-14-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:06 PM
airmed2
Drifting

By the way, did you know Elco is an acronym for Enterprise Leasing Company?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:12 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
Your first mistake was not driving a little further to Elco in Ballwin. I live in Staunton, Il (quite a haul to Elco), but will not have my Vette touched by anyone else. They pride themselves in specializing in Corvettes.
Maybe....but don't let Elco fool you either. I exchanged a couple a E. Mails with someone (will mention no names) from there concerning the harmonic balancer problem on mine. They said putting an aftermarket on is the best idea according to "Corvette Someone" ..(won't mention a name again).. who is their resident Corvette expert in service. So I go down there to talk to "Corvette Someone" in person and he tries to tell me that I should definitely go with the stock GM replacement. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out putting on another probably faulty part isn't a very good idea.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:25 PM
airmed2
Drifting

That's suprising. I know to whom you're referring; one of the reasons I go there. He knows his stuff. I also know he works on the weekends.......if you know what I mean.

Elco pumps out a lot of Corvettes, therefore it's not a novelty for them. I suppose even there, you may hit a snag, but the chances of that happening are going to be less than a dealership like Trenary....or many other Chevy dealers in the area.

Elco knows Corvette owners can be fanatics as well as their expectations. That doesn't mean I won't still remind them when I drop it off. But at least they know about jacking pucks, manual tranny oil capacities, common issues, etc...

jf

Last edited by airmed2; 01-14-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had it too with my Corvette. This spring when it comes out I'm getting all the fluids flushed and I've been doing research on where to take it and where not too. I found a place about 30minutes away, but it will be well worth it because that's all they do.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Maybe....but don't let Elco fool you either. I exchanged a couple a E. Mails with someone (will mention no names) from there concerning the harmonic balancer problem on mine. They said putting an aftermarket on is the best idea according to "Corvette Someone" ..(won't mention a name again).. who is their resident Corvette expert in service. So I go down there to talk to "Corvette Someone" in person and he tries to tell me that I should definitely go with the stock GM replacement. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out putting on another probably faulty part isn't a very good idea.
Why the complete reversal of opinion on which part to install?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

My son living in Ballwin can sure fill your ear with horror stories from ELCO's service department.

For example, took his G8 in for tires and got it back with the wheels damaged. Complained and they told him they would replace them. Scott checked the replacement wheels and found them them bent.

Not surprisingly he doesn't have much good to say about ELCO service.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Coyote Dave
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Union, and they don't have a very good rep. Thanks for the head's up.

I'll probably do this fix myself IF I ever have an issue. Pretty much how I roll with almost any small to medium repair or service work.

Luckily there are a few pretty good shops in town after warranty days are past.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by airmed2
That's suprising. I know to whom you're referring; one of the reasons I go there. He knows his stuff. I also know he works on the weekends.......if you know what I mean.

Elco pumps out a lot of Corvettes, therefore it's not a novelty for them. I suppose even there, you may hit a snag, but the chances of that happening are going to be less than a dealership like Trenary....or many other Chevy dealers in the area.

Elco knows Corvette owners can be fanatics as well as their expectations. That doesn't mean I won't still remind them when I drop it off. But at least they know about jacking pucks, manual tranny oil capacities, common issues, etc...

jf
Yea...don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking Elco as a dealer. As you say they have been the hub of the corvette world in this area for quite a while and I probably would not have an issue using them for service if I lived a little closer to them. I was just a little dumb-founded by the change of venue...if you will...about the best way to approach the balancer issue. Maybe I should have checked with "Corvette Someone" to see if it would be best to have the balancer replaced on "The Weekend"....LOL.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:33 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bruze
Why the complete reversal of opinion on which part to install?
Not sure about the reversal. I can only assume that possibly after I told them that my driving habits didn't include too much hot-rodding, or any tracking....etc, that they thought I wouldn't need an aftermarket balancer. I agree that I wouldn't need an aftermarket balancer, but would rather go that route than try another GM part that had a good chance of going bad again.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 PM
719c6
Instructor

Also, they didn't re-set the windows after disconnecting battery. Easy enough and only takes a few seconds, but they didn't.

Definitely not Corvette people at Jim Trenary.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:23 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 180 Posts

Default My Great Dealership Experience

I have to give "props" to Bill Buck Chevrolet in Venice, Florida, specifically, the service advisers, Brian McDermott and Pat Sandles. I live in NJ but drive my GS to Florida every January. I've had more than one crisis over the last two years and, both, Pat and Brian saved my a$$ every time.
Last year it was the glove box latch, which was replaced in one day (I had to leave town in two days) and this year it was a bluetooth fix and a flat tire, both taken care of the same day.
With all the noise about bad dealer experiences, I felt it was only right to commend people who are honest and provide fine representation to the dealers they work for.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Are you being picky....no
Is it right to return a vehicle to a customer with greasy hand prints all over it....no
On the bright side maybe you got lucky. If they tried to remove the hand prints they might have scratched everything. I mean if whoever left greasy hand prints on the vehicle he might have just grabbed a dirt shop towel and wiped the grease off scratching the vehicle.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Same treatment here in Huntsville, AL. I didn't even bring it up. I figured it needed a wash anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Poor customer service - Jim Trenary Chevrolet

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Long Sigh.................. I love Jacky Jones Chevrolet in Murphy, NC.

Sure wish your dealers were better.
Bad dealers ruin future sales for all locations.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:57 AM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Bad service on Corvettes seems to be GM's moto. Good service is so few and far between the you could just call it luck. I know, it should be the other way around. Only had to take mine back once to figure out that anything thats not a major, major deal (under warranty) and I will be taking it to a private mechanic (if I can't do it myself). Wonder if GM knows this is not good publicity or do they just not give a damn.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

No matter where you have it serviced, always take it in spotless and before driving away make sure all is satisfactory, clean as when you brought it in. I'd never drive off with a car that I'm not happy with. One time a dealer didn't reset my clock, oil minder or the windows. I walked into the service department and had it done before I left.

Quick Reply: Poor customer service - Jim Trenary Chevrolet