C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood DNX891HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Pilgrim86314
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kenwood DNX891HD

Dash unit with Bluetooth, handsfree phone, Sirius/XM, navigation, and backup camera.

Does anyone here have experience with this unit? Quality? Ease of use?

I'm being quoted $1990 for all items and labor. How does that sound?

Pilgrim
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 PM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 891 in my car and I really like it. I have an 890 in my truck too.

It was a little unstable at first but since updating (free) it's been great. It took a while to learn to use it's many features but it does many things. The Garmin nav is great too.

Contact forum vendor double d mods. No one beats his price if you install it yourself. Dennis is great with phone support if you have problems.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 AM
3rdchildhood
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Kenwood DNX771HD and much better then the stock one that was in my car.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

seems rather steep. here is my guesstimate on the break down in cost..

the unit itself is a very high end unit.. 1k
backup camera .. 30-150$
misc wires, materials for install, another 50-100$

the rest is labor, tax. I wouldn't think the labor would be more than a few hours. am I wrong?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:19 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

I was a huge Kenwood fan until they went down the tubes after JVC bought them. The last two years the Kenwood products have been crap. Takes forever to boot, software full of bugs that Kenwood refuses to fix, crappy customer service, looses settings randomly, interface laggy. Don't believe me? Go over to KenwoodForums.com and see what you a headed for.

And that price sounds way, way too high.

Last edited by Flame Red; 01-06-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 AM
NoShade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the 891 in my car last Fall. I agree with others... check with Dennis at DoubleD mods. He gave me the unit+camera and all of the hardware needed to install in the car for much less then I would have paid locally.

The interface does take some getting used to and it can be tricky to find that song you are looking for while the car is moving. I have a passenger with me most of the time so its not usually a problem.

If like me you have all of you music in MP3 format and plan to use a USB drive you will run into a problem. The Kenwood limits you to 512 files on a usb drive. Had I known this prior to my purchase I would have looked at another brand.

If you have an iPod you'll be fine as no limit exists there.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

how much of that price is labor?

I'm getting a DNN991HD with the RP5GM11 adapter for steering wheel and onstar, the dash kit, sxv200 sat unit with antenna kit to use existing xm antenna and a Kenwood cmos220 camera for 600 less than you are quoting. I can't see labor being 600.

I will be doing the install, Dennis at Double D Mods will pre-wire everything to ease installation.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:07 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
how much of that price is labor?

I'm getting a DNN991HD with the RP5GM11 adapter for steering wheel and onstar, the dash kit, sxv200 sat unit with antenna kit to use existing xm antenna and a Kenwood cmos220 camera for 600 less than you are quoting. I can't see labor being 600.

I will be doing the install, Dennis at Double D Mods will pre-wire everything to ease installation.
Do you have Bose in your car?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by red2012
Do you have Bose in your car?
Yes Bose and Onstar with steering wheel controls.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
Yes Bose and Onstar with steering wheel controls.
The reason I asked is because I have the bose in my '13 GS and just a couple of months ago put in the Kenwood 890HD. In my opinion the sound degraded because the Bose head was designed to be a perfect match to the Bose speakers and amps that are in the '13 Corvettes. The built in EQ, slope, frequency and crossover settings that matches the head unit to the speakers are all designed to give maximum efficiency with no distortion. An aftermarket head unit disrupts that balance. That same head unit ( aftermarket ) in my opinion would make the sound better in a non bose car. If your into sound ( I am ) Im not so sure you will like the way it sounds. I'ts good but not as tight and clean as the stock bose system. I took out the Kenwood and returned it to factory Bose all around.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:40 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Pilgrim98908
Dash unit with Bluetooth, handsfree phone, Sirius/XM, navigation, and backup camera.

Does anyone here have experience with this unit? Quality? Ease of use?

I'm being quoted $1990 for all items and labor. How does that sound?

Pilgrim
Sounds really High
Also
I would wait till End of Feb and we can send you the new 892 that we should be seeing sometime next month.

Call me for best deals on pricing as well.

608 854 2033

Dennis
Old 01-06-2015, 04:19 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
The reason I asked is because I have the bose in my '13 GS and just a couple of months ago put in the Kenwood 890HD. In my opinion the sound degraded because the Bose head was designed to be a perfect match to the Bose speakers and amps that are in the '13 Corvettes. The built in EQ, slope, frequency and crossover settings that matches the head unit to the speakers are all designed to give maximum efficiency with no distortion. An aftermarket head unit disrupts that balance. That same head unit ( aftermarket ) in my opinion would make the sound better in a non bose car. If your into sound ( I am ) Im not so sure you will like the way it sounds. I'ts good but not as tight and clean as the stock bose system. I took out the Kenwood and returned it to factory Bose all around.
It would have been better to keep the Kenwood and replace the Bose speakers with anything else. Those speakers are junk. Then either use the Kenwood internal amp to power the new speakers or add an aftermarket amp. I actually kept the OEM nav and added a set of preamp out jacks to connect to an aftermarket amp and Polk speakers. The OEM nav has a good clean signal but it was the Bose amp and speakers that muddies up the sound.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Pilgrim86314
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Sounds really High
Also
I would wait till End of Feb and we can send you the new 892 that we should be seeing sometime next month.

Call me for best deals on pricing as well.

608 854 2033

Dennis
Thanks for the reply, Dennis. Here's a copy of the quote I got locally.

I'm sort of hostage to helplessness here in Prescott. My wife and I are here on a job for her until December and my shop, where I could do the swap myself, and all my tools but a couple screwdrivers and a pair of pliers (oh, yeah, and a roll of duck tape,) are 1200 miles away. So, if I walked into Audio Adrenaline with a unit bought somewhere else I'd probably be looking at a substantially higher installation charge.

FYI, this factors in, I'm sure. I ought to get my 2nd-hand Passport Laser Jammer installed at the same time, as long as folks are crawling around under the dash. I'm told that's six to eight hours labor.

How would your shop handle the whole installation question if I'd bought none of the equipment from you?

Pilgrim

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DNX891HD

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX891HD