C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertable vs manual top?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 AM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertable vs manual top?

I was curious what is the drawbacks of the power roof convertible model of the C6? I tried to do some searches for what I am after but the search bar always just brings up mostly BS about stuff for sale on the convertibles...

I ask because there is an large amount of convertibles popping up here in Florida on the used market vs others and they seem to be going for better prices of all things.. was just curious what everyone thought... I have never owned a convertible anything before.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:24 AM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by storxusmc
I was curious what is the drawbacks of the power roof convertible model of the C6? I tried to do some searches for what I am after but the search bar always just brings up mostly BS about stuff for sale on the convertibles...

I ask because there is an large amount of convertibles popping up here in Florida on the used market vs others and they seem to be going for better prices of all things.. was just curious what everyone thought... I have never owned a convertible anything before.
I really don't have any and enjoy it down when it's not 2 deg out
Old 01-05-2015, 03:25 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I love my vert. Best of both worlds IMO and mine's not even powered. Better roofline up or down. Great protection in the blazing sun or inclement weather and when it's nice, top down! Nothing like a trip up or down the coast with the top down and the heated seats on. Have driven thousands of miles in each of the eleven western states with the top down. There are some great two lanes out there just waiting for a roadster to come by...
Old 01-05-2015, 06:11 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vert drawbacks:
IMO, the lines of the coupe look better when compared to the vert with the top up. Top down, the vert wins.

Eventually, the cloth top will probably have to be replaced.

The electric top has more components that can fail. The manual top has less. The coupe, even less than either ragtop.

Less cargo space for vert vs coupe.

Interior less secure than coupe (if a thief really wants something that's inside the vert, a knife will provide quick access).

The vert is probably less quiet than the coupe, but I haven't driven any coupes for more than a few miles.

Vert plusses:
Driving with the top down on a nice day.

The complements one gets when driving with the top down on a nice day.

With the electric top, no need to get out of the car if you decide to put the top down.

The trunk provides locked, out of sight storage top up or down.

With the coupe, storing the roof panel is cumbersome and sits right in the middle of the cargo area.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have owned 20 corvette converts over the years and love the convenience of the power top over the non power top vette converts I have owned and cannot think of any negatives.

My 2007 converts power top is now over 8 years old and has been trouble free, living in Tucson it is put up and down a lot. It is very quick and can be put up or down while sitting at a stop light.

The reason you see nearly all C6 converts have the power top is that very few were sold without the power top option. The ones without the power top were usually base converts with no or very few options. When I was looking for a C6 convert I only ran across one that didn't have a power top and that one had been a lease car with no optional extra cost options. Most convert buyers loaded them with options and 85% of them were also ordered with automatics during the entire C6 run.

Last edited by RJRSW; 01-05-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

We have owned 3 Corvette convertibles. A 69, a 99 and now our 13 GS. The first two were manual tops. The GS is a 3LT and has a power top. Love the convenience of being able to raise or lower it without getting out of the car. With the power top you will lose a little storage space. Very little that is. We made a two week trip from Missouri to the west coast to tour National Parks and had no problem fitting our luggage, two bag chairs, a small cooler, laptop and cleaning supplies in the car.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 AM
GS-FLA
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Although the convertible version is more convenient, the targa top is very easy if you're a tall person to be able to pull up the top and place it in the trunk by yourself, and I believe that the targa top looks is way cooler/meaner than top down IMO.

Targa top versions are also better at the track, and for that a few targa top versions get more performance items, like the targa 6sp grand sport, that comes w dry sump oil pan, and coolers

Last edited by GS-FLA; 01-05-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm not sure if you're asking about a power convertible vs. a manual convertible Corvette---or, a power convertible vs. a targa/removable panel coupe? Please explain.

If it's a manual convertible vs. a power convertible, there are actually few of the first that were sold and the power top became the only way to buy a convertible toward the end of the run.

If you're talking about a "targa/removable" roof coupe, then I'd agree w. most of the above that's been written. In the C6, the coupe actually has good visibility to the rear and right-rear whereas the convertible with the top up and in place has limited views in both those directions. But it's something you learn about and work around. I've also heard there's some odd wind dynamics with the coupe's top removed at highway speeds.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I think the car's lines are ruined in the cloth top version. I mean, it looks wonderful with the top retracted but top up, I think it looks much worse than the coupe roof on or off.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:41 AM
bontrager
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no better looking C6 than Torch Red and a black convertible top, either manual or power.

That glass hatch back look of the coupe just doesn't do it for me; prefer the look of the C3 Stingray if I had to have a coupe
Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

The main downside of any vert is most places will not let you track verts.

I have owned both manual and power verts. Power is the best. I have not had any problems with the power except once when the storage "partition" was undone and the car would not let me move the top or open the trunk. I had to squeeze my hands in and get the partition hooked in solidly. Only happened once, but it was a real PITA. Other common problems is that the headliner gets a hole in it from folding in two weak spots and the straps not being properly tensioned causing the top to hit the tonne cover when raised/lowered.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

All this babble about lines, and top needing replacing, tracking the car, balh, balh, balh. If the top don't drop I wouldn't have it. There's nothing like driving on that one beautiful day with the top down. It's the best blood pressure medicine known to man.

Seriously, if you've never owned a convertible it's time. Prices on verts are usually 2 -3K higher in the used market. If you're finding them cheaper, that's the time to buy. The only trouble I've had with mine was the battery went dead sometime along the way before I bought the car. The windows weren't indexing throwing the top into fits. I re-indexed the windows, and everything has been fine since.

This '07 is the third vert I've owned. Two manual top, and this one a power top. The power top is more convenient, but the manual top (on the C6) wasn't a problem as it is very easy to raise or lower.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-05-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:02 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

No matter what some of the bias think or say...this is the truth about Corvette verts. Yes while they look fantastic with the top down....they don't look as good as a coupe with their top up. There have been several quality issues with the power tops....some repetitive and just shouldn't be happening....(of course you'll hear from a 1000 people that they've had no problems, but you'll hear from another 1000 that they've had them). The verts are a little noisy with the top up....but you shouldn't buy one without expecting that. You do lose some trunk space...but who cares. But here is the most important thing about the verts. If its a nice sunny day and you pull up to a red light in your coupe and a nice convertible pulls up next to you....you may find yourself saying..."boy I wish I would have gotten a convertible" On the other hand....if you're sitting at a red light in your convertible and a coupe pulls up next to you...I doubt you'll ever say..."Boy I wish I would have gotten a coupe"....lOL
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

As far as noise the convert with the top and windows up is much quieter at highway speeds than a coupe with the top on and the windows up. That has been expressed many times on this forum from forum posters that have owned both C6 coupes and converts.

Like I said earlier I have owned 20 vette converts including while I was in high school and college and have never had a top cut or vandalized and only one time replaced the original soft top. That was on my 86 pace car convert that I owned for 18 years and I replaced the top in 1995 not because the top needed to be replaced but only because I wanted the glass rear window that was introduced in the 1995 model year.

This is a close up recent photo of the 8 year old top on my 2007 convert that has been put up and down many many times and sometimes left down for 2-3 months straight. The photo was taken as was requested by other forum members showing what a top looked like in regards to creasing showing after being left down for over two months. I took the photo about 24 hours after putting the top up after being left down for about 2 months.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:34 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by RJRSW
As far as noise the convert with the top and windows up is much quieter at highway speeds than a coupe with the top on and the windows up. That has been expressed many times on this forum from forum posters that have owned both C6 coupes and converts.

Like I said earlier I have owned 20 vette converts including while I was in high school and college and have never had a top cut or vandalized and only one time replaced the original soft top. That was on my 86 pace car convert that I owned for 18 years and I replaced the top in 1995 not because the top needed to be replaced but only because I wanted the glass rear window that was introduced in the 1995 model year.

This is a close up recent photo of the 8 year old top on my 2007 convert that has been put up and down many many times and sometimes left down for 2-3 months straight. The photo was taken as was requested by other forum members showing what a top looked like in regards to creasing showing after being left down for over two months. I took the photo about 24 hours after putting the top up after being left down for about 2 months.

I agree with all of this post - my 2006 top still looks new. And . . . I am the cheapskate that bought the bottom-of-the-line convertible in 2006, manual top and manual transmission. I did add one and only one option: R8C Museum Delivery .
Old 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
I have owned 20 corvette converts over the years and love the convenience of the power top over the non power top vette converts I have owned and cannot think of any negatives.

My 2007 converts power top is now over 8 years old and has been trouble free, living in Tucson it is put up and down a lot. It is very quick and can be put up or down while sitting at a stop light.

The reason you see nearly all C6 converts have the power top is that very few were sold without the power top option. The ones without the power top were usually base converts with no or very few options. When I was looking for a C6 convert I only ran across one that didn't have a power top and that one had been a lease car with no optional extra cost options. Most convert buyers loaded them with options and 85% of them were also ordered with automatics during the entire C6 run.
I agree 100%..... I have owned two verts, a 99 C5 manual top, then a brand new 05 C6 with the power top....now I own a 12GS coupe with the removable top. 1. there is nothing like a convertible on the two lane open road 2. if ya have a vert, there is nothing as cool as watching that power top do all the work!! 3. I like the lines of the coupe better than the vert, so i caved and made that my latest choice.....deciding factor was: I drive it much more with the top "up" and therefore might as well have the coupe....that being said, take the top off, put it in the storage area and we are off on a wonderful ride!! Its all in what ya want......!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Well I must disagree with those that think the verts don't look as good. I specifically wanted a convertible because I think they look much better than the coupe. . It really is just a personal choice. Some like em better some don't.

If the question is Auto Vs Manual top, I would say Auto. I have the manual top and it's fine but I have owned auto tops and it is more convenient. The fact that it was manual was not enough to keep me from buying though. No doubt you will enjoy whatever it is you end up with. Good luck.

Oh yeah and my manual top is an LSB (05) essentially a 3LT. So it does in fact have all the options but the power top.

Last edited by 1rusty1; 01-05-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertable vs manual top?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:38 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

When I was determining an offer for my recent acquired vert. I plugged in options on KBB and auto or manual top made no price difference.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boraxman
When I was determining an offer for my recent acquired vert. I plugged in options on KBB and auto or manual top made no price difference.
On Edmunds.com site they give a valuation amount for all the options that the vehicle has and the power top option adds between $400 and $600 to the valuation.

I have found their site is far more comprehensive than either KBB or NADA.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Just to clarify, 2005 trim levels were 1SA and 1SB.

Quick Reply: Convertable vs manual top?