C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about corvette as a supercar

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 03:16 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I understand completely what you are saying...and points are all well taken, but are you suggesting that a Miata would out perform...lets say a MClaren F-1 which is definitely a super car on a parking lot auto cross circuit ??
Most likely not, however it will make the lap times much closer than they would be otherwise!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by db2012gs
Most likely not, however it will make the lap times much closer than they would be otherwise!
WHEW.....glad to hear that. You had me worried thinking that when I take the Mclaren I just bought to an auto cross that I would have to worry about getting spanked by a Miata....lOL. Just kidding.....no Mclaren here....maybe if I ever win the lottery. But I do understand your reasoning with a Miata against a Corvette. But the Mclaren VS Miata scenario kinda puts this thread into perspective as far as a Corvette being a super car.....
Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

As much as I like my corvette, to me it doesn't qualify as a "super car", whatever that really means. In my opinion, a true super car is one that is a VERY high performance and expensive, exotic, low production car in which a high percentage of the car is hand built...not massed produced, assembly line built cars that are turned out in the thousands.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

z
Originally Posted by Red08
As much as I like my corvette, to me it doesn't qualify as a "super car", whatever that really means. In my opinion, a true super car is one that is a VERY high performance and expensive, exotic, low production car in which a high percentage of the car is hand built...not massed produced, assembly line built cars that are turned out in the thousands.
There we go again.

Of course there's no way that any factory Vette is an "exotic," even the somewhat limited production high performance versions. There are way too many produced.

But the ZR1, and now the C7 Z06, perform like supercars. Meaning, obviously, for any generation Vette, the highest performance variant is rightly considered a supercar. Exotic owners surely pay for exclusivity, but let's not confuse exclusivity with performance parameters....
Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You guys do realize that the OP that first posted this question to you on this thread actually made the post 1 year ago ... I don't think he is coming back to read any of your replies.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I don't consider a Corvette a super car either. But it would seem that it shouldn't really matter what course any such comparisons are run on as any "True" super car should out perform a Corvette no matter the layout of said course. And inquiring minds want to know....just what is a "Flying Lap" ??
Same way NASCAR conducts qualifying...all times are based on a flying lap.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:46 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by db2012gs
WHEW.....glad to hear that. You had me worried thinking that when I take the Mclaren I just bought to an auto cross that I would have to worry about getting spanked by a Miata....lOL. Just kidding.....no Mclaren here....maybe if I ever win the lottery. But I do understand your reasoning with a Miata against a Corvette. But the Mclaren VS Miata scenario kinda puts this thread into perspective as far as a Corvette being a super car.....
It IS possible for a prepped (even stock) Miata to spank a McLaren F1 on an autocross course. Autocross favors nimble,"tosser", cars with shorter wheelbases and smaller turning circles. An F1, while lightweight @ 2,500lbs, has a 107" wheelbase vs. a Miata's ~90" and is setup more for sweepers seen in road racing.
Autocross tuned cars would have much quicker steering ratios to change direction faster. This would be detrimental on road courses as it could cause twitch steering at higher speeds. This only recently has been address with progressive ratio racks and electronic assist.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

grandsport convertible
Supercar convertible? sounds dangerous!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:20 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm a member at a local road race track that is very tight. The fastest cars around this track are the Lotus'. The guy who built the track owned the local Lotus dealer so not totally surprising. Miatas and S2000s once dialed are as fast as anything.
In one direction I can hit 120 in my vette, in the other 128.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
It IS possible for a prepped (even stock) Miata to spank a McLaren F1 on an autocross course. Autocross favors nimble,"tosser", cars with shorter wheelbases and smaller turning circles. An F1, while lightweight @ 2,500lbs, has a 107" wheelbase vs. a Miata's ~90" and is setup more for sweepers seen in road racing.
Autocross tuned cars would have much quicker steering ratios to change direction faster. This would be detrimental on road courses as it could cause twitch steering at higher speeds. This only recently has been address with progressive ratio racks and electronic assist.
Well I made the mortal sin of not being explicet (sp) enough in my post. I should have mentioned that as long as the course is large enough for both cars to fit on....JEESE-OH. And no...as long as the course is big enough for both cars to "strut" their stuff so-to-speak, the Miata stands no chance. Unless of course the drivers are mis-matched. But I guess I did leave myself wide open for such response....
Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
You guys do realize that the OP that first posted this question to you on this thread actually made the post 1 year ago ... I don't think he is coming back to read any of your replies.
Yep - just a fun debate at this point.

More "general" than C6...

Old 01-05-2016, 03:47 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Well I made the mortal sin of not being explicet (sp) enough in my post. I should have mentioned that as long as the course is large enough for both cars to fit on....JEESE-OH. And no...as long as the course is big enough for both cars to "strut" their stuff so-to-speak, the Miata stands no chance. Unless of course the drivers are mis-matched. But I guess I did leave myself wide open for such response....

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Super cars attract attention. Same thing with a corvette parked in an empty lot. Moments later you'll see cars parked around it.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:37 AM
TheJimer
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
There ya go, that's probably the best definition of a “Supercar” I’ve read in this thread so far!

Jim
Old 07-01-2017, 05:10 PM
kermit2692
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about mine?!

Just bought a 2017 collector edition grand sport a few months ago. Today in the mail i got a poster box inside was a letter from Chevrolet wrapped with a nice ribbon around a poster of all four generations of grand sport. The letter itself designated my car as a "supercar" hence I'm here. Now the 2017 gs is hailed as the best modern Corvette available all over the internet, it runs with the z06 even at what 150 less hp?! People blame the grip for this feat. I'm not a car guy perse so i can't quantify these opinions I've read but i do know my car is bad as they come. It has some intake flange body parts that the regular gs does not that really gives it a better look. It's numbered of one thousand on the special badge, only 850 in the us so i think i got the exclusivity check. Has some other differences that set it apart. So ya, 500+hp, only one thousand made, and absolutely gorgeous.
what's not super about that? The blue leather interior turns heads more than any other vette. Suede interior with ac seats. Hud. Blue stitching on the headliner. I have pulled off of a light with just a little gusto and had people hanging out of the car next to me yelling giving me thumbs up 😂.
I think there's no question that my particular vette makes the grade. But i still want to hear what others think. Either way it's a supercar in my book.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 PM
kermit2692
3rd Gear

Default Also..

To the guy that said the younger crowd doesn't like vettes I'm 28. It's not that the younger crowd doesn't like them, it's they can't afford them. Furthermore for that reason the styles are geared towards the older crowd. Recently i have seen a switch in this. They are moving towards always using carbon for the dash and my car is definitely a younger guys car with the loud blue interior. I think Chevrolet is starting to aim towards appealing to younger people as they become able to afford the car.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Kermit, I wanted to make a few comments on your posts. 1st, congratulations on the new 17 GS. It is a really nice car. 2nd, this is an old thread so some of the previous posters are no longer here. So be careful resurrecting older threads. 3rd, this is the C6 section so just be careful posting C7 stuff in the C6 section. 4th, welcome to the forum! 5th, just for arguments sake, I do love and own a Corvette but I don't consider it a supercar. Just my opinion. Once again, congrats on the new ride and welcome.

Get notified of new replies

To question about corvette as a supercar

Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 PM
kermit2692
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Kermit, I wanted to make a few comments on your posts. 1st, congratulations on the new 17 GS. It is a really nice car. 2nd, this is an old thread so some of the previous posters are no longer here. So be careful resurrecting older threads. 3rd, this is the C6 section so just be careful posting C7 stuff in the C6 section. 4th, welcome to the forum! 5th, just for arguments sake, I do love and own a Corvette but I don't consider it a supercar. Just my opinion. Once again, congrats on the new ride and welcome.
Ya I'm familiar with forums i saw it was old but after reading through it i couldn't help but reply anyway, I'll take the heat 😀. Didn't realize the site is broken into generations though i got here straight from Google. seems like a topic that would span the last couple generations so hopefully nobody takes offense. Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback. I really didn't consider Corvettes super cars either, until i saw this one.. And i still am on the fence based on the fact that i feel like most aren't.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:21 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Corvette is a Corvette. Not a supercar for (mostly) better or worse.

Even the ZR1.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:30 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by kermit2692
Ya I'm familiar with forums i saw it was old but after reading through it i couldn't help but reply anyway, I'll take the heat 😀. Didn't realize the site is broken into generations though i got here straight from Google. seems like a topic that would span the last couple generations so hopefully nobody takes offense. Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback. I really didn't consider Corvettes super cars either, until i saw this one.. And i still am on the fence based on the fact that i feel like most aren't.
Supercar or not, your car sounds like one sweet ride! Wether it be C6 or C7, the wide body look is the way to go and the new GS's are definitely head turners. The title "supercar" wouldn't make it any more or less sweet than it already is, imo. Enjoy!

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 07-01-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: question about corvette as a supercar