C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about corvette as a supercar

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Up until recently I would have to agree the Corvette hasn't qualified as a 'super car'; however, the reports like this might reflect it has started to break that barrier: http://www.therichest.com/luxury/aut...2015/?view=all
Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 AM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

I guess I'm out of step with the majority but I consider the term "Supercar" to be centered around performance. Any car that has the performance to beat a benchmark supercar would also be a supercar. It's also a moving target. As time goes on the requirements to be a supercar go up. I think the higher performance Vette can qualify.

The term exotic car has a lot more to it than just performance. I thinks Vettes miss out here for many of the reason called out in previous posts.

Last edited by a striper; 01-01-2016 at 02:26 AM. Reason: spellink
Old 01-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
Up until recently I would have to agree the Corvette hasn't qualified as a 'super car'; however, the reports like this might reflect it has started to break that barrier: http://www.therichest.com/luxury/aut...2015/?view=all
Same type writer that does not know the difference between a corvette and a mustang.

A super car is made from exotic material not found in a standard type cars, like titanium and carbon fiber, is on the edge of technology such as fully active aerodynamics and fully active suspension, and made on a much smaller production runs since there is just not that many buyers that have the money in the first place.

So the vet has way too much plastic used on it, the tech on the car is to old, and just too many produced/the price tag too low to even be considered a supercar.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:34 AM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by a striper
I guess I'm out of step with the majority but I consider the term "Supercar" to be centered around performance. Any car that has the performance to beat a benchmark supercar would also be a supercar. It's also a moving target. As time goes on the requirements to be a supercar go up. I think the higher performance Vette can qualify.

The term exotic car has a lot more to it than just performance. I thinks Vettes miss out here for many of the reason called out in previous posts.
I've always thought this way too. I love corvettes and i also love the fact that they are not super in the traditional sense. The day they become a true super car will most likely be the day i won't be able to afford one
Old 01-01-2016, 10:48 AM
JKHolman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ...

Ford GT40 Mk I ?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 AM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkholman
ford gt40 mk i ?

this!!
Old 01-01-2016, 01:08 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know....
My '10 ZR1 supposedly can do a bit over 200, pulls over 1.25g's on the pad, gets decent mileage, beats the pants off many "supercars), and repairs are not astronomical. And it looks pretty damn good. To me that is one super car.
(Oh and it only cost less than $3k to give it a full GMPP for the next 36k miles)
Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

Semantics.

I think it is obvious that certain Corvette models (starting back in the '50's -- '57 Fuelie, anyone?) have been supercars, capable of running with pretty much any contemporary sports car regardless of price.

None, however, have been exotics. Pretty awesome when you think about it...
Old 01-03-2016, 03:58 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I would consider the very limited street edition C6RS Pratt and Miller Corvette to be supercar status. I believe they made a total of seven. Rare and exclusive. I've talked to a few Ferrari and Lamborgini owners. They do respect the Corvettes performance. Maybe not as a supercar, but they certainly respect it.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:07 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Not enough top end speed, nor down force for grip on the vets to go up against a super car.

Hence even the ZR1 can't keep up with a R8-V10 around a mid speed road course corners, much less a high speed track. Up against a Enzo/Bugatti Black Bess, the ZR1 would be lapped in a matter of mins instead. Also, keep in mind that the 0-60 times are a second faster on these super cars as well.

Bottom line, the Vet is a good value per dollar sports car, but super car it is not.
Just for clarity....

Laguna Seca......................Nurburgring

Audi R8 V10 - 1:38.7.............7.44.xx
C6 ZR1 - 1:33.7....................7.19.68
C6 Z06/Z07 - 1:34.43...........7.22.68
Ferrari Enzo - N/A.................7.25.21
Old 01-03-2016, 06:36 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Trying to compare any lap times of different models at the Nurburgring is a joke.

Some are flying laps, other a stop start laps, some the car is so tweaked from floor room models its a joke, and then you have how much of the track was actually used for the timed event. Hell, the GT-R set a low number for the ring, but has yet to be duplicated by anyone on the long course with a production model car.

Trust is, your better off with a set flying lap at Willow springs with a show room model car (not the track prep version that the manufacturers race team pre-sets and hauls to the track for the mag guys to throw around), since you are talking same distance laps on production cars of how they left the show room floor and enough turns and short distances between the corners to factor in how well the car handles.

Hence forget F1 type tracks, since this is where it's all about HP for way to many long straight runs, and not so much about handling for a production class car instead.
Note, here on a F1 long straights tracks, the zr1 does well for a lap or two, but heat soak kicks in from the TVS-2300, and it's slower and slower each consecutive lap from the heat soak instead.

Also to add, the Enzo at speed has close to close to 1700lbs of down force at around 186mph, while the ZR1 has lift at all speeds instead.

So forget the straights, and in the tech windy sections of a production type class track like willow springs, the ZR1 is just a spec in the rear view mirror of the Enzo that is getting smaller and smaller each corner. Add in that the Enzo comes factory running R compound race tires from factory, and production against production with the Z running Super cups instead, GM is bring a knife to a Gun fight.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Trying to compare any lap times of different models at the Nurburgring is a joke.

Some are flying laps, other a stop start laps, some the car is so tweaked from floor room models its a joke, and then you have how much of the track was actually used for the timed event. Hell, the GT-R set a low number for the ring, but has yet to be duplicated by anyone on the long course with a production model car.

Trust is, your better off with a set flying lap at Willow springs with a show room model car (not the track prep version that the manufacturers race team pre-sets and hauls to the track for the mag guys to throw around), since you are talking same distance laps on production cars of how they left the show room floor and enough turns and short distances between the corners to factor in how well the car handles.

Hence forget F1 type tracks, since this is where it's all about HP for way to many long straight runs, and not so much about handling for a production class car instead.
Note, here on a F1 long straights tracks, the zr1 does well for a lap or two, but heat soak kicks in from the TVS-2300, and it's slower and slower each consecutive lap from the heat soak instead.

Also to add, the Enzo at speed has close to close to 1700lbs of down force at around 186mph, while the ZR1 has lift at all speeds instead.

So forget the straights, and in the tech windy sections of a production type class track like willow springs, the ZR1 is just a spec in the rear view mirror of the Enzo that is getting smaller and smaller each corner. Add in that the Enzo comes factory running R compound race tires from factory, and production against production with the Z running Super cups instead, GM is bring a knife to a Gun fight.

2014 Overall Results - VIR LL

TESTED ON THE SAME DAY, SAME CONDITIONS LOL

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

4.1-mile Road
Course, Lap Time
Min:SEC/MPH
2:53.8/84.9

Audi R8 V-10 Plus

4.1-mile Road
Course, Lap Time
Min:SEC/MPH
2:57.5/83.2

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2014-feature

And for ref:
All time C&D Lap Times

The Vettes are such a joke. Just disgusting...

Old 01-03-2016, 06:22 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ites/71865642/

Imagine Target trumping Saks Fifth Avenue. Timex outshining Rolex. Chevy beating Lamborghini.

Actually, that last one should come as no surprise. The Chevrolet Corvette has added to its status as the world’s most affordable supercar as it emerged the king of the 2015 Car and Driver Lightning Lap competition at Virginia International Raceway. It outran such thoroughbreds as the $353,115 McLaren 650S Spider, $274,120 Lamborghini Huracan and $163,000 Porsche 911 GT3.
Also, 2k15 results:

http://m.caranddriver.com/features/l...d-more-feature

Last edited by KnightmareCS; 01-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 PM
beamg5
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Totally disagree. Corvettes are not supercars. They've got the same performance (and have since the late 80s) as an entry level supercar, but they don't have the exclusivity of them. They make tons and tons of Corvettes, whereas Ferrari will only build like 7000 cars in a year.

Corvettes are fast, and faster than what some people would consider supercars. Then again, what is considered a supercar tends to be a matter of perspective. Where I grew up in South Florida, a Corvette was nothing special, it was just another coupe. A supercar in South Florida is totally different than up here in Hickory. Up here, my '92 is looked at by a lot of people as a supercar.

Personally, Even the new C7Z or C6ZR1 is just a fast Corvette. It's like a GT-R, a really fast sports car. But it's common, and doesn't come from a brand with any real prestige to it.
Originally Posted by L1TEMUP

I agree with your previous agreement !!

Gary
Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
IMO you can't make it so. It has to come from the factory. In Corvette world, you can make your C6 into a super car by trading it for a C7z.

My opinion only.
In deference to all others, THE ABOVE is the correct answer. Few would consider a Mclaren M6BGT a supercar, even though it is among the fastest in the world. It is a racecar, not a supercar. Supercars can do multiple things...they have incredible top end speed, amazing acceleration, outstanding cornering, comfort for two, have curb appeal that get looks even from 80-year-old ladies, and can be driven coast to coast. The C7Z, if it proves to be as reliable as it should be, will be a Supercar, IMO.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

There's full lap video of both the ZR1 and Enzo on YouTube put out by each manufacturer. They were both complete laps. The only difference is the ZR1 was driven by a GM engineeer while the Enzo was piloted by a Ferrari test driver.

As far as Willow Springs goes, which track are you referring to? Big Willow or Streets of Willow? Because they are very different tracks.

Lastly, any retort about the Audi?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I don't consider a Corvette a super car either. But it would seem that it shouldn't really matter what course any such comparisons are run on as any "True" super car should out perform a Corvette no matter the layout of said course. And inquiring minds want to know....just what is a "Flying Lap" ??

Get notified of new replies

To question about corvette as a supercar

Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 AM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO, brand only has partially to do with it. I never considered the 308 or 328 Ferrari a supercar just b/c it was a Ferrari. Conversely, just b/c a C& or C6ZR1 Vette is Chevy, shouldn't eliminate it from consideration.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 AM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I don't consider a Corvette a super car either. But it would seem that it shouldn't really matter what course any such comparisons are run on as any "True" super car should out perform a Corvette no matter the layout of said course. And inquiring minds want to know....just what is a "Flying Lap" ??
A "flying lap" is not timed from a stop, instead the time is started when you cross the starting line from a previous lap while traveling at speed. Hence you will post a better lap time. From a stop is only the first lap, and every lap after that will be a flying lap.
So even though each are considered a lap time per se, the flying lap will always be a faster lap time with the given advantage of not being started from a dead stop!

In addition, the track a car is tested on does determine how it will fair against other cars. That is because if a track is very small with a lot of tight turns and no high speed straights, then a lighter car with less hp can post equally good numbers or better.
Example, a Miata can post better lap times than a Vette in many autocross tracks because they are so tight.
Go to Willow Springs or track with straights long enough to achieve high speeds with enough hp, and the Vette leaves the Miata in the dust, because it can more than make up for slower corner speeds with a much faster straight speed.
If you have a track with a lot of long straights and not many tight corners, the high horsepower cars dominate without having to have high corner speeds.
With the many track layouts, a track can bias an outcome if it doesn't give equal opportunity in turns and straights. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by db2012gs; 01-04-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:32 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by db2012gs
A "flying lap" is not timed from a stop, instead the time is started when you cross the starting line from a previous lap while traveling at speed. Hence you will post a better lap time. From a stop is only the first lap, and every lap after that will be a flying lap.
So even though each are considered a lap time per se, the flying lap will always be a faster lap time with the given advantage of not being started from a dead stop!

In addition, the track a car is tested on does determine how it will fair against other cars. That is because if a track is very small with a lot of tight turns and no high speed straights, then a lighter car with less hp can post equally good numbers or better.
Example, a Miata can post better lap times than a Vette in many autocross tracks because they are so tight.
Go to Willow Springs or track with straights long enough to achieve high speeds with enough hp, and the Vette leaves the Miata in the dust, because it can more than make up for slower corner speeds with a much faster straight speed.
If you have a track with a lot of long straights and not many tight corners, the high horsepower cars dominate without having to have high corner speeds.
With the many track layouts, a track can bias an outcome if it doesn't give equal opportunity in turns and straights. Hope that makes sense!
I understand completely what you are saying...and points are all well taken, but are you suggesting that a Miata would out perform...lets say a MClaren F-1 which is definitely a super car on a parking lot auto cross circuit ??

Quick Reply: question about corvette as a supercar