C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken C6 Z06 OEM Seat Frame!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Jet Jockey & C5
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Broken C6 Z06 OEM Seat Frame!

Up at the NCM recently I suffered a catastrophic seat frame failure on my 2010 Z06 sitting still in the paddock at the new NCM Motorsports Park where I was an instructor for their inaugural HPDE! I'm 5'9" and weigh about 185 lbs. I have no interior mods beyond shift ****. No harness bar. All OEM seats, belts, etc.

As I was sitting quietly waiting for my student to join me, suddenly the frame broke and my seat fell backwards and there was no way I could reach the steering wheel! IF that had occurred minutes before or after while on track OR even while driving on the street, it could have turned out very very badly for me and my passenger / student!

Very curious if anyone else has heard or seen this sort of thing? As luck would have it the factory interior QC guy was in the pits and came by and opened up the rear of the seat and saw the broken frame first hand. He appeared quite surprised and indicated he hadn't heard of this going on at all. Folks gathered round and speculated that it was a manufacturing metallurgy defect??

I'm just beginning the process of figuring out what to do on this so thought I would come to the CF first to find out if anyone else has any ideas / experience?

Thanks in advance!
Jet Jockey
Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

It would be helpful to understand what broke and how.
Is this a break in the metal, a weld, or a recline mechanism.
Pictures would be great as well
Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Jet Jockey & C5
Pro

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
It would be helpful to understand what broke and how.
Is this a break in the metal, a weld, or a recline mechanism.
Pictures would be great as well
Yes you are correct. I will attempt some photos as I'm able.

It was the main metal casting for the seat frame. Not a weld. Not the recline mechanism.

I will be going by the dealership this week to start that painful process of trying to get GM's attention, even though out of warranty this sort of a part really should not ever fail unless the car had been crashed, dropped or something, and then there would be significant other greater problems frankly. It's like a main frame piece or A or B pillar or something like that. It should be engineered to withstand normal driving the entire life of the car. Mine is a 17000 mile pampered pristine non-damaged specimen.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:11 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree it should never have broken especially in that position.
My temptation would be to share the information with GM and maybe even file a report on the NTSB website so everything is documented.
It could be a fluke or we could have others yet to come.
I would be tempted to get a new seat frame welded out of chrome moly by a certified chassis fabricator. You will enjoy additional stiffness when tracking the car as an added benefit.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey & C5
Up at the NCM recently I suffered a catastrophic seat frame failure on my 2010 Z06 sitting still in the paddock at the new NCM Motorsports Park where I was an instructor for their inaugural HPDE! I'm 5'9" and weigh about 185 lbs. I have no interior mods beyond shift ****. No harness bar. All OEM seats, belts, etc.

As I was sitting quietly waiting for my student to join me, suddenly the frame broke and my seat fell backwards and there was no way I could reach the steering wheel! IF that had occurred minutes before or after while on track OR even while driving on the street, it could have turned out very very badly for me and my passenger / student!

Very curious if anyone else has heard or seen this sort of thing? As luck would have it the factory interior QC guy was in the pits and came by and opened up the rear of the seat and saw the broken frame first hand. He appeared quite surprised and indicated he hadn't heard of this going on at all. Folks gathered round and speculated that it was a manufacturing metallurgy defect??

I'm just beginning the process of figuring out what to do on this so thought I would come to the CF first to find out if anyone else has any ideas / experience?

Thanks in advance!
Jet Jockey
I'm surprised the interior QC guy didn't offer to have it fixed for you. The car's not that old and the part had to be defective, even though it's not still under warranty. I don't think GM would want to be responsible for the consequences, and he was there. In fact, when I saw that in your post I thought you were going to say that he arranged to have it replaced on the spot.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Jet Jockey & C5
Pro

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I'm surprised the interior QC guy didn't offer to have it fixed for you. The car's not that old and the part had to be defective, even though it's not still under warranty. I don't think GM would want to be responsible for the consequences, and he was there. In fact, when I saw that in your post I thought you were going to say that he arranged to have it replaced on the spot.
I was honestly hoping for him to do that. He seemed shocked and was shaking his head in dismay over and over. I'm certain that the potential for liability is truly great IF this is a problem that will begin to take place across the fleet.

Today I will be starting the official remedy process with Chevrolet. Uggg, dread it, but no other recourse.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:04 AM
Jet Jockey & C5
Pro

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
I agree it should never have broken especially in that position.
My temptation would be to share the information with GM and maybe even file a report on the NTSB website so everything is documented.
It could be a fluke or we could have others yet to come.
I would be tempted to get a new seat frame welded out of chrome moly by a certified chassis fabricator. You will enjoy additional stiffness when tracking the car as an added benefit.
Yes sir! Going to file an NTSB report, and indeed the potential for GM liability is rather large IF this starts to occur across the fleet at all.

Starting the official remedy process with Chevrolet today at the dealership. Dread dealing with the expected stone-walling.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey & C5
Starting the official remedy process with Chevrolet today at the dealership. Dread dealing with the expected stone-walling.
Best case scenario is since you're out of warranty, they may offer some kind of compromise deal for repair/new seat.
Should they try any shenanigans, like blowing you off totally, could politely suggest the possibility of a small claims court claim.

GM really doesn't need any more bad publicity, especially on matters which could 'go viral' with GM on the receiving end, when it could've been resolved. I'm wagering they'll want to resolve this, hopefully to your satisfaction.

G/L man, this is a strange issue I'd never read of here or anywhere else.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:48 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read where others had this same issue on various forums but am not sure how big the issue is.....one more reason I see one-piece Caravaggios in my future if I have this car for a while.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Stephenz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 seat back problems

I was at a recent track event and one of the entrants had a C6 Grand Sport and came in after a session with a broken seat back. I was surprised. However, this weekend at an autocross mine failed twice during my runs, likely same culprit. I carefully readjusted after each occurrence and made sure it was in a proper detent position so it wasn't the result of partial engagement. Driving home it still didn't feel right...

I haven't torn out my seat yet to diagnose, but will not trust it again w/o reinforcement. That was not at all safe trying to negotiate slaloms and corners at 60 hanging on to the steering wheel and having the seat back dropped all the way down...

Get notified of new replies

To Broken C6 Z06 OEM Seat Frame!

Quick Reply: Broken C6 Z06 OEM Seat Frame!