C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipe New...anybody use this stuff ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:22 PM
thomaswat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wipe New...anybody use this stuff ?

I saw the tv ads about this stuff and bought some, but there are some warnings included with it that make me apprehensive about using it. I would be comfortable using it on plastic parts, but it says it's ok for upholstery and has good UV protection which is why I bought it, ( I have a 2012 vert ) but at one point it says it hardens. My first thought was cracks across the upholstery. Anyway, I just wondered if any of you guys have used it and if so, what your thoughts are.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't really trust any "as seen on tv" sort of products.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:21 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,330 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I bought some, and luckily I only used it on my winter SUV. The stuff is tacky, does not do what the TV ads claim, and IMO, nasty stuff.
Your better off with Armor All, or other such products that play around with this stuff.
Wipe New is good for stuff that is heavily faded by UV, not something on any of our vettes.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:51 AM
RailroadsilverC6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adams interior and leather cleaner and conditioner would be better.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:09 AM
dozing4dollars
Advanced

I have successfully used Wipe New on two older Ford Escape SUV's. (2009 Hybrid and 2004 XLT 4WD).

It does a masterful job of restoring the color and "wet" shine to sun faded mirrors, bumpers, air dams, step bars, roof racks, door handles, exterior hinges, window/trim moldings, etc. If carefully applied, it can make an older car appear "like new". No other product that I have tried, made the step bars on both cars look almost "factory new".

I would NOT think of putting it on my 2012 Corvette, with the possible exception of the lower front air dam.

It is pretty easy to apply with the kit materials. I gave the 09 Hybrid to my son three months ago and saw it again at Christmas. The treated areas looked great ! I do not know how the product will hold up long term in the Texas heat ???

I also did the headlights on the 04 Escape before I gave it to my nephew in Michigan at Christmas. My kit had a special fine grit sandpaper to remove oxidation and hazing from the lens before application of the Wipe New liquid. It did a pretty good job of clearing and then coating the lens and it seemed to improve the light transmission thru the headlight. I did the fog lights on it as well.

Overall, for a very modest investment, the product worked well for me in improving the outer appearance of two older SUV's. Used on the proper vehicle, it can make a huge difference. YMMV

Be sure to carefully read and follow the directions on the product insert. Wear nitrile gloves and take your time.

Happy New Year to all !
Old 01-01-2015, 08:39 AM
thomaswat
Instructor

Originally Posted by dozing4dollars
I have successfully used Wipe New on two older Ford Escape SUV's. (2009 Hybrid and 2004 XLT 4WD).

It does a masterful job of restoring the color and "wet" shine to sun faded mirrors, bumpers, air dams, step bars, roof racks, door handles, exterior hinges, window/trim moldings, etc. If carefully applied, it can make an older car appear "like new". No other product that I have tried, made the step bars on both cars look almost "factory new".

I would NOT think of putting it on my 2012 Corvette, with the possible exception of the lower front air dam.

It is pretty easy to apply with the kit materials. I gave the 09 Hybrid to my son three months ago and saw it again at Christmas. The treated areas looked great ! I do not know how the product will hold up long term in the Texas heat ???

I also did the headlights on the 04 Escape before I gave it to my nephew in Michigan at Christmas. My kit had a special fine grit sandpaper to remove oxidation and hazing from the lens before application of the Wipe New liquid. It did a pretty good job of clearing and then coating the lens and it seemed to improve the light transmission thru the headlight. I did the fog lights on it as well.

Overall, for a very modest investment, the product worked well for me in improving the outer appearance of two older SUV's. Used on the proper vehicle, it can make a huge difference. YMMV

Be sure to carefully read and follow the directions on the product insert. Wear nitrile gloves and take your time.

Happy New Year to all !
Many thanks for the detailed response ! I may find a use for this stuff on my old Ranger truck.
Definitely not my Vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Wipe New...anybody use this stuff ?

Quick Reply: Wipe New...anybody use this stuff ?