C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 AM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think?

I have been keeping my eyes out for Lemans blue corvettes since that is my favorite color and they come far and few between within the 25k budget range I set. ..found one local I'm contemplating on. ... May be a decent deal I think. ....

2006 LT3 A6 model w/ 148k miles for 16k currently. .. comes with 2 year 12k warranty from chevy. ... has a lot of service records through chevy.... averaging about an oil change each month of the year for the past 3 years through Chevrolet. ....

What do you guys think? Car has minimal wear exterior and interior compared to cars I've looked at with half its miles. ... was thinking it may be a good option for the price and set aside money to build/buy a forged block later on
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

If it's a bumper to bumper warranty and the car runs out well, then I can't see you losing on the deal.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:14 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I can't imagine that they would place an unlimited bumper to bumper warranty on a car with that many miles.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:29 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I can't imagine that they would place an unlimited bumper to bumper warranty on a car with that many miles.
ditto...read the fine print.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:34 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

For that price, go for it!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:59 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by storxusmc
I have been keeping my eyes out for Lemans blue corvettes since that is my favorite color and they come far and few between within the 25k budget range I set. ..found one local I'm contemplating on. ... May be a decent deal I think. ....

2006 LT3 A6 model w/ 148k miles for 16k currently. .. comes with 2 year 12k warranty from chevy. ... has a lot of service records through chevy.... averaging about an oil change each month of the year for the past 3 years through Chevrolet. ....

What do you guys think? Car has minimal wear exterior and interior compared to cars I've looked at with half its miles. ... was thinking it may be a good option for the price and set aside money to build/buy a forged block later on
They likely paid in the 10-11,000 range for that car, and told the poor sap "we just can't give over wholesale for a car with that many miles". They bought an extended warranty for a grand so they can sell it for a 5g profit. I'd look around winter is only 1/2 over

Mark
Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Charlie in TX
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you like it, offer $13k. Chances are they would rather have it off their books before the end of the year.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:25 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As has been mentioned already, read the fine print on the warranty. If it's in good shape cosmetically, the plan of setting aside money for future repairs/upgrades makes sense.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd go with all the cautions from those above, but esp. Piper's setting aside money, not for mods, but for repairs. I'd also do a little more due diligence since it is your $13K-$16K such as a Carfax, AutoCheck and VIS from the dealer on what's been done to the car, not just oil changes.

I'd really read that fine print of the "warranty" since it is really and most likely, a limited, prepaid service agreement with some company, but probably NOT Chevrolet---I could be wrong on that one, but you tell us. And the limitations or exclusions in that agreement are the things that will kill your joy, like you having to pay for an auto transmission replace/repair, engine replace/repair, etc.

It isn't about the cost to buy. It's all about the cost to keep it so it doesn't become that lump of stuff under the blue tarp in the north 40...
Old 12-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Go for it. Sounds like a great car. My first Corvette was an 88 with 165k and no warranty. I bought in 07 and it ran great never had to put any money into I kept it for 18 months before trading it as the family didn't like it. Missed it every day till I got another one
Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

If that's your limit, buy it. Just know you're not going to get hardly anything out of that car when you get rid of it. Getting $10k out of the car would be a lot with that many miles on it and that new of age.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Ditto, read the fine print on the warranty to see what is not covered!!!!!

Even on a brand new Vet, items like the clutch and brakes are not covered on the factory warranty.

As for the car, with that amount of mileage, going to be a money pit, even with the warranty of items not covered (and worse once the warranty does run out).
Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Carfax it... Lowball EM ... You can always upgrade in a couple years!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i took it for another test drive today and i really got on it really hard to see if any weird symptoms would arise.. the car drove fine and i heard no out of normal sounds.. tranny seems to shift fine.. only think i notice is that when you first jump on it... it seems like the torque converter might be getting weak.. the initial oomph is not as strong as other auto cars i have driven.. buts it shifted fine and didnt hesitate or whatnot...

I left them a cash off of 12k on the car tonight, they said they couldnt accept it so i left... hopely they will reconsider and call me back later. they printed out a sales history for corvettes with 150k miles, apparently in the last 30 days over 25 of them with similar miles sold for 16k they showed me on paper... so we will see

Last edited by storxusmc; 12-30-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Well i took it for another test drive today and i really got on it really hard to see if any weird symptoms would arise.. the car drove fine and i heard no out of normal sounds.. tranny seems to shift fine.. only think i notice is that when you first jump on it... it seems like the torque converter might be getting weak.. the initial oomph is not as strong as other auto cars i have driven.. buts it shifted fine and didnt hesitate or whatnot...

I left them a cash off of 12k on the car tonight, they said they couldnt accept it so i left... hopely they will reconsider and call me back later. they printed out a sales history for corvettes with 150k miles, apparently in the last 30 days over 25 of them with similar miles sold for 16k they showed me on paper... so we will see
I believe a Torque converter parts and labor is close to $1K
Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 PM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
Go for it. Sounds like a great car. My first Corvette was an 88 with 165k and no warranty. I bought in 07 and it ran great never had to put any money into I kept it for 18 months before trading it as the family didn't like it. Missed it every day till I got another one
I tend to agree. You could pay $25k for a car with 60k miles and still have transmission or engine problems. Odds are less likely but I just had to spend $1500 on my 08 Avalanche transmission and it only has 67k easy miles on it. Stuff happens to old cars. At least you get a drive warranty probably plus have cash reserve for repairs. Just my two cents.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

stay away thats what I think
find somthing with lower mi.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you guys think?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you limit your choice to a single color - that itself was less than 10% of the total production - you have to accept getting a less than perfect car.
So unless you are decide to become flexible on color & if the other options in this car fit your bill - buy this one.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good approach.

Let them know you're serious, but force them to think about it. If you're in the ballpark of the lowest price they'll sell it to you for, they'll call you back. If not, there ARE other LMB vettes out there, I bought one in June, and there should be some in your price range with way lower miles. It would help to update your profile with your location so people can help look for you.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:35 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

$12k isn't a reasonable offer IMO. You've offered them 25% less than asking price for the car. You want to make a reasonable offer, start at $14k.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?