C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totalled or Not ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

With the air bags deployed, that adds about $12,000 alone to the repairs. Just guessing at the rest looks like $12,000 -15,000 worth. If $24,000 + puts the repair cost over 60% of the cars value, it's usually not going to be repaired. (JHMO)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Sorry about your loss OP.

As usual, posts involving insurance questions contain many well meaning responses that are often skewed, or just plain false.

There is no fixed percentage of damage beyond which a vehicle is considered a total loss.

A vehicle is declared a total loss when the cost of repairs, plus it's salvage value, equals or exceeds it's A.C.V., (actual cash value).

If the car is deemed to be repairable, then your aftermarket parts are no longer in question.
If the vehicle is deemed to be a total loss, then you'll need to discuss your aftermarket parts with your adjuster.
Claim Adjusters hear this question over and over again many times.
Your adjuster will have the specifics with regard to YOUR policy, and the salvage value of YOUR car, with or without these parts.

He/she will provide you with the facts concerning what you can, and cannot do, and then you can make your decision.

Make your claims adjuster your guide, take his/her advice and suggestions.
Once you have your options clearly outlined before you, and you feel that you'd like opinions on those options, that's the time to ask forum members.
Until then, your claims adjuster is your only reliable source.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by maryvillept
To change the condition of a vehicle in an accident prior to the adjuster seeing it is fraud. If you're upfront with the adjuster some may let you change it, others may say it must stay the same. Whether it's for the better or worse, it still changing it. I have friends that work for state farm that work in claims.
For it to be fraud, the insurance company would have to be reduced or harmed. If he put something that wasn't insured in and now takes it out, then the company is not harmed in any way and it isn't a fraud.

Frex, I buy a sound barrier for my coupe. I don't increase the declared value of my car or notify Safeco about it. I crash and total the car. I remove the sound barrier. How have I harmed Safeco?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
I think you should go to the hospital, it sounds like you have a brain injury.
You hear him?...OK
Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister

As usual, posts involving insurance questions contain many well meaning responses that are often skewed, or just plain false.

There is no fixed percentage of damage beyond which a vehicle is considered a total loss.

A vehicle is declared a total loss when the cost of repairs, plus it's salvage value, equals or exceeds it's A.C.V., (actual cash value).

If the car is deemed to be repairable, then your aftermarket parts are no longer in question.
If the vehicle is deemed to be a total loss, then you'll need to discuss your aftermarket parts with your adjuster.
Your adjuster will have the specifics with regard to YOUR policy, and the salvage value of YOUR car, with or without these parts.

He/she will provide you with the facts concerning what you can, and cannot do, and then you can make your decision.

Once you have your options clearly outlined before you, and you feel that you'd like opinions on those options, that's the time to ask forum members.

Good luck!

Follow this advice.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Yunus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwor
Unless there is a crazy law in a state I'm unaware if, this is completely false.

I was an auto adjuster for 3 years, have plenty of first hand experience looking at wrecked vehicles.

Very often shops would tear down vehicles (removing damaged parts and putting them aside) or owners would remove aftermarket items they had added.

The only issue would be if the owner was removing parts or adjusting items to lie about what happened in the accident. That would be fraud.

Now, back to the OP. The vehicle looks like a total from just the damage to the front, and I would call it an obvious total with the rear included, no saving this one.

You will want to do some looking on your policy and what it covers. The company I worked for had built in coverage to all policies for up to $1000 of non OEM equipment, beyond that required special endorsements. You were likely asked when insuring the vette if it had a/m or specialty equipment and were offered an endorsement for it. If you have the endorsement, it will likely be better to leave everything on the vehicle vs removing and parting.

Anything removed from the vehicle that was a replacement for an OEM part (like your exhausts) will need to have something put back on to avoid having adjustments against the vehicle value. I often ran into people who had new rims/tires on the vehicle they wanted to keep. All that we required was that the vehicle had 4 wheels and tires put back on the vehicle if they were going to remove the aftermarket ones. Same with the radio, if you remove your touch screen, be prepared to put the stock radio back in, or have the value adjusted for having no radio.

If you aren't in a rush it may be easiest to leave things as-is and discuss with your adjuster. Most adjusters are there to help you. They will give you everything they fairly can. Don't go in with the attitude that they are out to get you, or expect to have to negotiate, many times customers would tell me what they the thought their vehicle was worth, and the valuation would be several thousand dollars higher. Have a good idea of what you are expecting in your mind, and wait for the offer to see if it is just.

If you are unhappy with the value, be prepared to show comparable vehicles. This is the key thing you will need to prove the true ACV (actual cash value) of your vehicle.

Good luck with it all, let me know if you have any questions!

This answer is as good as it gets.
Thanks A LOT.
I have been trying to find out what really is going on and what should/shouldnt I do.

Before reading your response, my common sense told me to call the adjuster and spoke wit him.
I told him , look I dont want to fck your company over and I dont want to get fcked over.
So just help me out to get the best out of this situation.

You already outlined it all but let me briefly explain what he told me.
There are several cases that they consider.

He clearly told me that I can remove all the aftermarket parts before he even sees him but I need to replace them with the original or any used crappy whatever part I can find. And I asked him to make sure he said that.
If I am going to remove the 1500 USD Corsa exhaust , he at least wants to see another exhaust on the car. Doesnt have to be factory oem or a good/fair quality one. Any exhaust is okay.

If an aftermarket part is damaged, lets say you have an exhaust on it and it is damaged but repairable. You can remove it and you do not need to replace it.
Because it is already damaged and can not be valued. Its a loss already, so they do not care you leave it on the car or not.

To be exact, I asked him If its okay not to replace the rear wing and the diffuser.
Because they are both aftermarket and they are damaged.
He asked me why would I want them if they are damaged, I said they can be fixed.
He said he doesnt mind that in that case.
But he said if they were not damaged , i had to replace them.
Its my luck that they are both fairly damaged and I can still easy fix them and use them but I do not have to replace them.

I hope the next guy can benefit from this information.
I think contacting your adjuster is the best thing to do.

Thank you
Old 12-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Yunus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hameister

Good luck!
This is a very good advice as well!
I learned a lot in the past 2 days and I totally agree you.
So many missleading information out there that made me question things and waste time.
Thank you for the info.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
I think you should go to the hospital, it sounds like you have a brain injury.
HaHaHa
Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
Unless you have a rider on your insurance they will only pay you the value of the OE part.
You supercharger etc has no value so removing it should be no issue.
I would salvage everything I could off of it and sell.
I would be shocked if they do not total the car.
Sorry about the crash and glad everyone is ok!
Body and potential front end/engine work alone will be quite high. Considering it's an '05, I'd agree w. above but chassis damage will seal it as being totaled in my opinion. I also think insurance does not count nor care about non-OE parts. Sorry to read about this one.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Yunus
Instructor

Hey you all again,

Ok the car is totaled. I heard from the insurance about the final price.
Its 24K. I think its a very good deal and I get to keep all the aftermarket parts.

I replaced the Full Corsa Exhaust with the factory one. I asked about the pulley and the belt , he said no need to install it on the car. Just buy it and put it on a seat.

Basically, being honest with your adjuster gets things easier. They are not your enemies I got it now...

Its always good to do research and get the good info.
There is just too much wrong information out there...
Hope this post will help the next guy
Old 12-24-2014, 08:19 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like a good outcome/
Old 12-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Yunus
Instructor

Originally Posted by boraxman
Sounds like a good outcome/
Yeah... Just the hassle is tiring and waiting kills me...
Have my eyes on a high milage Z06 Now
Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Yunus
Hey you all again,

Its 24K. I think its a very good deal and I get to keep all the aftermarket parts.

I replaced the Full Corsa Exhaust with the factory one. I asked about the pulley and the belt , he said no need to install it on the car. Just buy it and put it on a seat.

Basically, being honest with your adjuster gets things easier. They are not your enemies I got it now...

Ahhh, there ya go, you handled it correctly, didn't listen to all the guesswork, and the outcome was very acceptable!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:13 AM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default 80%

Most companies use a rule of thumb of 80% of the value of the car for
total loss.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:26 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you all again,

Glad everything worked out for you! If more people would have realized adjusters are your friend it would have made my job a ton easier. I miss parts of my job being an adjuster, dealing with ****** people is not one of them!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:15 PM
maryvillept
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it handled. Sounds like all went well. Sooooo...... new christmas present in your future?
Old 12-25-2014, 06:17 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Total for sure air bags go off and it is done
Geico is great to work with they will total the car and you can buy it back for usually $500.00 bucks.That is what they did on my last 2 cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Totalled or Not ?

Old 12-25-2014, 07:41 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Yeah... Just the hassle is tiring and waiting kills me...
Have my eyes on a high milage Z06 Now
Thank God they totaled it huh?
A car with an accident on Carfax is not good at resale.
Good luck with the search! &
Merry Christmas
Old 12-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Brady Kohuth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnaj7731
not if he is putting it back to stock... specially if he did not insure the car for the extra parts. If he only insured it for a stock vette that is what they would be getting stock parts.
Exactly !!
Old 12-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

$500.00 bucks?

As in deers? I doubt it. The salvage value is probably over $5,000.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 12-28-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Totalled or Not ?