C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to make the foglights default to being on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM
cthompson07
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any way to make the foglights default to being on?

I have an 07 z51, and hate having to turn the foglight control everytime I turn the car on. Is there any way to make it default to on rather than off?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:26 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

No, not unless you rewire them from the fog light fuse #22 (engine fuse block), to an on/off switch or to a fuse that only gets power when the car starts (seat heaters). The Fog light fuse is live all the time, but the relay only gets power to the fog light side, once the car is started.

That can be easily accomplished if you really want to do it.

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-09-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 PM
PaCharger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
No, not unless you rewire them from the fog light fuse #22 (engine fuse block), to an on/off switch.
Power won't go to the fog lights until the car is started.
That can be easily accomplished if you really want to do it.

Good Luck
I started a similar thread last week asking the same question. So - is it just a jumper we need to go from the DRL fuse to #22? Any other insights would be appreciated. I'd like to have DRL and foglights on by default - assuming this is what the OP was looking for as well.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PaCharger
I started a similar thread last week asking the same question. So - is it just a jumper we need to go from the DRL fuse to #22? Any other insights would be appreciated. I'd like to have DRL and foglights on by default - assuming this is what the OP was looking for as well.

Thanks!!!
The wiring circuit for the fogs go through the Body Control Module (BCM) so it's complicated to just get the fog lights on all the time. The headlight circuit will shut off the fog lights when the hi beams go on. It's all tied in together.
I have the wiring diagram, and jumpering the relay from the fuse could do some damage to the headlight/circuit
It's probably best to just run new wires from a switch to the fog lights.
If you want the wiring diagrams for all the electrical in the C6, PM me your e-mail address. It's too big a file to post on here. The headlight Fog light electrical diagram is on page 74 0f 159.

Maybe with the wiring diagram, some electrical engineer can get it jumpered??????

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-09-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks!!!
I was going to suggest a jumper to the DRL's also.

When My headlights went out my short term was a jumper to the parking lights.
It is easy enough and simple to revert back to normal.
You will be the only one who sees it.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:50 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
The wiring circuit for the fogs go through the Body Control Module (BCM) so it's complicated to just get the fog lights on all the time. The headlight circuit will shut off the fog lights when the hi beams go on. It's all tied in together.
I have the wiring diagram, and jumpering the relay from the fuse could do some damage to the headlight/circuit
It's probably best to just run new wires from a switch to the fog lights.
If you want the wiring diagrams for all the electrical in the C6, PM me your e-mail address. It's too big a file to post on here. The headlight Fog light electrical diagram is on page 74 0f 159.

Maybe with the wiring diagram, some electrical engineer can get it jumpered??????

If you look at the diagram, you'll see the relay is controlled by the body control module. Unfortunately, with all the can bus control in this car, it isn't just a simple matter of altering the way the switch is wired.

I suppose you could cut the line to the body control module and then connect a wire from the headlamp relay output to the fog lamp relay, so that anytime the headlights were on, the fog lights also came on.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by cthompson07
I have an 07 z51, and hate having to turn the foglight control everytime I turn the car on. Is there any way to make it default to on rather than off?
I havent given a Z51 ticket in so long that I may loose my badge...so...You Dont Have A Z51! You have a coupe or vert with a suspension/brake upgrade the factory specifies as Z51. Its not a model like Z06/ZR1/GS. Ok, met my quota for the month.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks!!!
E-mail sent with the Wiring diagrams for the C6.
Hope it helps
Old 12-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by EVRose
I havent given a Z51 ticket in so long that I may loose my badge...so...You Dont Have A Z51! You have a coupe or vert with a suspension/brake upgrade the factory specifies as Z51. Its not a model like Z06/ZR1/GS. Ok, met my quota for the month.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:38 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I like it. Another of my favorites are those who call an air filter a CAI. We need a ticket for that, especially in the for sale threads.

Back to the subject at hand, a relay is a relay. There shouldn't be any problem jumping across the open contacts. They are isolated from the BCM and the can-bus.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:22 AM
cthompson07
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobeast
I like it. Another of my favorites are those who call an air filter a CAI. We need a ticket for that, especially in the for sale threads.

Back to the subject at hand, a relay is a relay. There shouldn't be any problem jumping across the open contacts. They are isolated from the BCM and the can-bus.

Thanks for the good replies. I'll have to see about doing it. No thanks to the snob who talked about the z51 not being a "model". Make sure you don't say your car is silver. It's PAINTED silver. You have a coupe / vert that the factory specified to paint silver. It's not a model.

Last edited by cthompson07; 12-10-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the good replies. I'll have to see about doing it. No thanks to the snob who talked about the z51 not being a "model". Make sure you don't say your car is silver. It's PAINTED silver. You have a coupe / vert that the factory specified to paint silver. It's not a model.
Yea, I don't get the Z51 badge snobbery either. If you don't mention it in a thread initially, >50% of the time people ask you if it's a Z51 or not. Go figure.

As to the question, on my pickup, I was able to jump a couple of fuses in the fuse box in order to have the hi and low beams stay on at the same time. Not sure if that will help lead you in the right direction or not. I find myself using the fogs more and more at night recently. The crazed headlights just don't give as much light right in front of you.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 AM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate people that run their fog lights on when they don't need them. Why??? I guess they are special.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DIPPOLD
I hate people that run their fog lights on when they don't need them. Why??? I guess they are special.
What I hate even more than that is people that decide they need bright blue (>6000k bulbs), purple, red, green, pink or any other stupid HID color in their fogs - which they then proceed to use when they don't need them. Yellow is the best color for fog lights that you actually use. They cut through road mist, fog, rain, and snow. That's why on my truck, I have yellow HID's that I only use during inclement weather, and they're awesome. If I ever upgrade any lights on mine, I'll be going yellow HIDs.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:53 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Oh lighten up. You cant tell I was foolin around? Was what I said right or not? And, it takes one second to turn the switch. Why would anyone want to rewire the car to save one second?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:26 AM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You gotta love this. There's always different views and opinions. Sometimes our skin is thick sometimes not so thick. Many of us poke fun on posts with no ill intent. There are a few that are not doing it in jest. I have a Z51! I say this especially with the current ads that are going around with the new Vettes. They said "We have they latest Corvette Z51 at our dealership". Now we realize the dealerships are all knowing so how can I argue with that. As for driving around with the fog lights on, I say the more visiable you are the better. Especially with the high % of bad drivers out there.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I posted THIS THREAD to show how to safely have the fogs comme on with the brights. You could do the same, only modify the source to use a switched +12v pin instead of the high beam source I used.

I've actually been considering installing LED bulbs into the fog housings and doing this mod myself

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to make the foglights default to being on?

Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
I posted THIS THREAD to show how to safely have the fogs comme on with the brights. You could do the same, only modify the source to use a switched +12v pin instead of the high beam source I used.

I've actually been considering installing LED bulbs into the fog housings and doing this mod myself
Nice!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:36 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Not sure about where you guys live....but in some states its illegal to have your fog lights on if it isn't foggy....imagine that. Might not be a bad law as it would help keep the people from having them on for no reason.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:28 AM
PaCharger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz

Great write up - gives me hope this can be done pretty easily. Now I just need a bit of time and a warmer garage!

Windy - good point, certainly no one is looking for fighting johnny law - quite the opposite - just like more opportunity to be seen.
BTW - on a few quick searches there are a few states that have issue with fog lights being on in non foggy situations, but the most common requirement that I saw was to not have more than 4 forward facing lights on at one time.

Quick Reply: Any way to make the foglights default to being on?