C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the guys that don't do big performance mods, why??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I've done some suspension mods (Koni shocks and Pfadt sways) to adjust the ride and handling balance to better fit my taste, and had a tune but that's the extent of my mod plans. As far as more aggressive power mods, I might consider a complete NA engine package from a reputable tuner like LPE that comes with a warranty, but that's about it. I don't want to mess with superchargers or really aggressive head and cam packages.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 PM
John C.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
My last car was a 2008 C6 coupe Z51 and I really loved the car. I think I got caught up in things you read online and see in videos. Some other cars that were faster like the Z06, GTR, and some highly modded cars. Right out of the gate the LS3 was a pretty quick car. I wanted to SAY my car was faster than those cars. I did a supercharger, headers, meth injection and a few other mods. After the car was fast as hell but something was missing. To me for some odd reason it felt more fun stock.

Too many times on this forum and many other car forums I noticed lots of cars for sale after huge crazy builds. I guess sometimes it's more the fun of having the build done and then after its over you're left with an insanely fast and scary car that may not be as enjoyable to drive as the stock car. Please understand this is just my opinion and I'm sure many would disagree. I too after the mods sold my C6 and later did miss having a vette. I recently ordered a 15 shark gray Z51 A8 coupe. It should be here around February. This time I think I am going to just do some simple bolt ons and enjoy the car and not worry about what other cars are faster. I guess my real question is for the guys that choose NOT to mod, why is that??? Thanks
The best mods are the ones you make to the nut behind the wheel.

http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools
Old 01-08-2015, 03:15 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by John C.
The best mods are the ones you make to the nut behind the wheel.

http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools
That would be a hooker
Old 01-08-2015, 03:24 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

I think all Corvettes should be left stock, they are too fast as it is!!

Congrats on the 15' Chris!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:28 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I think all Corvettes should be left stock, they are too fast as it is!!

Congrats on the 15' Chris!!
you the man Doug
Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Let me say if you DO want to mod that is your guy to PM!! ECS has always been top notch and very good to me.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

I have to remind myself regularly of all the reasons not to mod, like the list someone posted earlier. But . . . truth be told I'd bet 90% of guys would like to do power mods! It's just a guy thing and I still have to fight the urge!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am long past caring who has a faster car than me. I can appreciate those that do their own builds but I can't tell you how often I have spoken to guys who feel like they ruined a perfectly good car. Many say that yes the car is fast as hell but they don't enjoy it nearly as much as they did. If I need more there are other models I can work towards if I really need to. I'm happy with my lowly stock 05 LS2.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:22 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by donwil
I am long past caring who has a faster car than me. I can appreciate those that do their own builds but I can't tell you how often I have spoken to guys who feel like they ruined a perfectly good car. Many say that yes the car is fast as hell but they don't enjoy it nearly as much as they did. If I need more there are other models I can work towards if I really need to. I'm happy with my lowly stock 05 LS2.
Nothing lowly about a 6.0 liter 400 horsepower V8 in a Corvette any pics of the car?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:37 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2015 Shark Gray Z51 A8 is in!! I'll be picking it up soon and she will be staying STOCK !!

Beautiful and I love the Shark Gray! I love the covering and plastic protection on all the stuff, the seats and steering wheel, ***** and displays and all the little tags on a new car. I would keep all of that stuff and all the stickers and build sheets and everything. Enjoy her, she is all wrapped up just for you to enjoy.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM
donwil
Drifting

Nothing lowly about a 6.0 liter 400 horsepower V8 in a Corvette any pics of the car?
No pics to show and wouldn't know how to post them anyway. Its a stock 05 DSOM with a few appearance mods- tint,c6 emblem overlays, stainless rear letters and some dsom interior pieces- two tone shifter boot dsom/cashmere same for console lid and e brake boot. Still want a gothic leopard style racemesh grill and white cue ball style shifter ****. Does have a corsa sport and x pipe. Pretty much everyone on here told me I would love the color and they were right. I was nervous about it when I bought it but turned out to be the perfect color for me. But we all feel that way about the one we have.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Donwil, I am a 2005 LS2 Brother right here with ya. You always hear people talk about real muscle cars with a high HP engine and a 4 Speed transmission. I am actually happy and feel good about owning one of the last High HP cars with a 4 Speed Automatic. Now they are 6 speed, 8 speed, 12 speed, or like in my daily driver, with a Continuously Variable Transmission that never changes gears, never, none, not once.

So I am also proud of my LS2 and 4 Speed Corvette. I admit I have installed some bolt-on's and had a tune so I have more than the original 400HP, but still, I love it.

Originally Posted by donwil
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM
donwil
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hameister
Gotcha, thanks for the added info, I didn't know that.

I originally pulled the fuse on my old obsolete '13 GS.
However, I decided to install a M2W remote to operate the NPP because I found at certain RPM on a long cruise, the drone was very annoying.
Plus, there are times I don't want to attract any attention, so I just hit the button, and I'm stock quiet again.
I hope you're not going to abandon the C6 forum as soon as you pick up your C7.
If only I could pull your fuse. After all your old and obsolete too! J/K
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
donwil
Drifting

Originally Posted by GhostC6
Hey Donwil, I am a 2005 LS2 Brother right here with ya. You always hear people talk about real muscle cars with a high HP engine and a 4 Speed transmission. I am actually happy and feel good about owning one of the last High HP cars with a 4 Speed Automatic. Now they are 6 speed, 8 speed, 12 speed, or like in my daily driver, with a Continuously Variable Transmission that never changes gears, never, none, not once.

So I am also proud of my LS2 and 4 Speed Corvette. I admit I have installed some bolt-on's and had a tune so I have more than the original 400HP, but still, I love it.

Whats up my brotha'! I know we enjoy our 05's every bit as much as those with newer more powerful models. I just love having a vette again. Keeps me young at heart. Be safe out there buddy.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I have to remind myself regularly of all the reasons not to mod, like the list someone posted earlier. But . . . truth be told I'd bet 90% of guys would like to do power mods! It's just a guy thing and I still have to fight the urge!
I had to read your post twice. I usually mod strictly for looks when I get started and never get too far past that. I continually make changes to the appearance but after thinking about it, I would want to mod the performance of a C3 with a modern engine and pro charger. I guess 90% might be about right.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:29 PM
MPA
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I was looking to do heads/cam/headers this year, but I realized for the driving I do (mostly back roads) it's just not needed. I have a cat-back that makes it rumble a bit, and that's enough. I just ordered some wheels, and will probably lower it a bit once the weather warms up, and get one of the Pfadt alignments for it, and just enjoy it.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 AM
LAYNLOW
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BROCKYJACK
With age comes some wisdom...usually. I wish I had all the money back that I blew on engine mods since I bought my first car...a 67 Mustang I bought in 1968 at 16 years old. In my younger years whatever I drove had to be made faster and I was never satisfied. It was kind of like chasing the horizon....you just are not going to get there. Add the money involved which you will not recoup on resale to the fact that it may hurt resale value and cause reliability issues and it just does not equate to money wisely spent anymore. I would much rather spend it on appearance and comfort mods.....like the padded armrest...best $100 I have spent on my vette. I came from a Roush stage 3 SC Mustang to the vette and those two cars have been the pinnacles of performance cars I have owned. Now I want to get in and go without worrying or always having to turn a wrench on something. A car that turns qtr miles in the 12's, goes 180+mp, handles like it does and can give me 26+ mpg is just fine under the hood to me. If I had the money I'd like to have a ZR1 but not going to try to make my GS run like one. I know many of the younger guys on this forum will disagree with me but when you get to be my age you might look at things a little differently. I know I do. JMHO

Quick Reply: For the guys that don't do big performance mods, why??