C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:25 PM
tjwor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

I've been looking (mainly dreaming) at Corvettes for as long as I can remember. Finally to the point that I've decided I can get one if I want.

Found an '08 3LT with 60K for $27,999. It has every option I was wanting except F55 & NPP.

1G1YY26W685100808

The car has 1 small chip which was touched up on the RT QT panel, 1 small scuff on the left rear bumper which can be buffed, 1 small scuff above the emblem on the front bumper that can be buffed, and a couple tiny marks on the RT head lamp. Interior has no signs of wear (will need to check under the rubber floor mats that are installed). Also, the RT corner of the bumper, between the lamp and the hood, is raised slightly. I looked at another Vette on the lot that had the same thing going on. Is this common?

It drove great, nothing sounded out of place, everything under the hood is clean, no signs of water, belt ran straight. Shifted smooth and everything seemed in place. Did a couple of tight slow figure 8's, no cracks, popping, or noises from the car.

The only thing I noticed. After driving I put the vehicle into reverse, and it felt almost like the clutch was hanging just before catching, when I went back to first it did the same thing. Once I moved in first, and pushed the clutch in again I didn't notice it. Back to reverse and it felt like it hung up again. Is this a cause for concern?

I rode with the salesman in the car today, and the weather was not great for a Corvette test drive, overcast, misting, roads wet.

When I take my wife back tomorrow and can go for a little bit longer of a drive, is there anything special I should be looking out for or testing?

As long as I don't find a reason not to, I will probably park this thing in my garage tomorrow night.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a automatic so can't comment on clutch but the rest sounds good and that seems like fair price. If it's their asking price I am sure you can get them down a little.
Enjoy your new ride, I love my 08 and you could not get mine for anywhere close to that price.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:38 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

You can do better
Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Do you mean the clutch pedal was hanging? If so, then the clutch fluid has not been changed often enough.

Look at the clutch master cylinder, pop the cap, is the fluid deep black with crud stuck to the inside of the cap? Occasionally, some owners neglect that part of regular maintenance, it may not be a big deal but its a bit of a red flag, and makes you wonder what else nay have been neglected. Also could mean the master or slave is shot. Its up to you how you proceed, but I'd look into that issue before deciding on the car.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:25 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
You can do better
I've been looking semi-seriously for the past 3 months or so, and haven't found a 3LT LS3 with similar miles come up for sale at this price range. Definitely still have my eyes peeled though! (I'm kicking myself for not buying the 08 w/ 100K miles for 19,500 on here about a month ago. Still, higher miles than I am looking for)

Originally Posted by v26278
Do you mean the clutch pedal was hanging? If so, then the clutch fluid has not been changed often enough.

Look at the clutch master cylinder, pop the cap, is the fluid deep black with crud stuck to the inside of the cap? Occasionally, some owners neglect that part of regular maintenance, it may not be a big deal but its a bit of a red flag, and makes you wonder what else nay have been neglected. Also could mean the master or slave is shot. Its up to you how you proceed, but I'd look into that issue before deciding on the car.
I hadn't driven a manual car in probably 5 years or so, I could be just feeling things, but I will definitely take a look at the clutch fluid. How it seemed, was the clutch pedal floored, back off an inch or two, it felt like the pedal got a bit lighter (as if the pedal wasn't quite keeping with my foot), and then it would catch reverse like normal.

Thats about the best I can think to explain it.

I didn't notice this at all until I went to reverse, and then back to 1st. After 1 start again in 1st I didn't notice it anymore. I'll pay more attention tomorrow for sure.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That's waaay to much brother. I know you're excited. I was too when I was getting a C6, take your time. As you describe it, it has high miles and the body sounds like OK condition. How are the tires? Unless you can talk him down to 25K I would look elsewhere. That is far from a deal.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:32 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Check those brakes too. The calipers appear to be larger than stock. They may be covers or something else. Since the wheels were changed, maybe there are other changes too. It'd be worth a couple bucks to get an independent evaluation. Also check the glovebox sticker to see the RPO codes for how the car was factory equipped. It's a chunk of change, so keep the emotions under wraps.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:36 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
That's waaay to much brother. I know you're excited. I was too when I was getting a C6, take your time. As you describe it, it has high miles and the body sounds like OK condition. How are the tires? Unless you can talk him down to 25K I would look elsewhere. That is far from a deal.
Brand new tires, I know it isn't a steal, but I do feel like it is a fair price for an LS3 w/ 60K miles.

It is at Carmax, so no negotiation... I'll drive it again tomorrow and check out under the hood in more depth.

I haven't found an 08'+ M6 LT3 under 60K miles for under $30,000 to date... Definitely trying to be non-emotional about the car. I've been looking a long time and am not being desperate to buy one, didn't notice any issues that stood out today to turn me off of it being a fair deal. The more I hear the more I have to look at though!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Check those brakes too. The calipers appear to be larger than stock. They may be covers or something else. Since the wheels were changed, maybe there are other changes too. It'd be worth a couple bucks to get an independent evaluation. Also check the glovebox sticker to see the RPO codes for how the car was factory equipped. It's a chunk of change, so keep the emotions under wraps.
Here is a better picture of the wheel if that helps. Looks like caliper covers.

Last edited by tjwor; 11-22-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:58 AM
tibasnatch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is not a good price IMO. I just picked up today a 2011 GS with 40k miles for $34k 3lt
Old 11-22-2014, 01:21 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Originally Posted by tibasnatch
That is not a good price IMO. I just picked up today a 2011 GS with 40k miles for $34k 3lt
It is seeming like the big issue is my price range. Your GS you bought is sweet, put some bids on it on ebay knowing I would never win it within my price range.

Looks like there are quite a few lower mile 08+ LT3's for the $32,000-$35,000.

Seems to be a tough market for the 28K range.

Lots of higher mile 05-07 LT3's in the lower 20's, lower mile 05-07's within the upper side of my price range. The 08+'s seem to hit $30,000+ for an LT3. I have found several of LS3 Auto LT3's under $30,000, not the M6 though...

Maybe I'm being too particular with my options and should settle for an LT1 that is a bit lower miles... Either way it sounds like I'll be settling for one side or the other, becoming more frustrating...
Old 11-22-2014, 03:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The real issue re price is sometimes related to how far your radius for buying a car is set because many areas have higher prices for Corvettes, while others don't. That goes for selection, too. If you're not willing or able to travel it limits both.

While there's been at least one person recently on here who claims it's supposedly a waste of money, I'd find someone who can look at the car who knows Corvettes and can put it up on a lift to go over it. Like others have said, it sounds like it could need a complete drain of the clutch hydraulics, or it could be more like the clutch itself which is about a $1500-$2K job. If someone started out "learning how to drive stick" on that car and got only mildly competent, 60K miles may be all she wrote for that one---I hope not, but it could be.

The sticking up portion of and near the headlight has been mentioned by others. In my mind, sometimes I think it may be due to having been very lightly bumped such as a car reversing into it when parallel parking. There are a bunch of clips under the front bumper skin and any one of them could have popped loose.

Whatever you do, if you get it or another car I'd suggest looking to change just about every fluid in it unless it's already been done and can be proven. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:19 AM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Where I live that is a great price with that trim level... I would spend the extra couple hundred $ to get the drive train including that clutch issue checked out independently. Maybe that clutch is a simple fix with new fluid. Good Luck, hope you are able to take it home today
Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

CarMax generally has good cars, albeit they tend to be slightly higher in price. If you decide to purchase the car, tell them you want the clutch fluid changed as a condition of purchase.

Also check inside wear on tires....it's a common wear area and can't be seen unless you turn the wheel to its stops. Look for any wobble of squeaks coming from the harmonic balancer....this is a common point of failure on most Corvettes and can end up costing about $1K to fix.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I found mine on cars dot com. Nice car however I agree the price must come down a little. Does this car have the Z51 option? If not i would think you can talk him down to $25,000. Good luck with the purchase you will love the car. I paid 28k for my 08 w/Z51 option and it was Certified so I got a one year B to B warranty and I'm glad I did because I used the warranty to cover a little over $2,000 in repairs (their cost). Just something to think about.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwor
I've been looking (mainly dreaming) at Corvettes for as long as I can remember. Finally to the point that I've decided I can get one if I want.

Found an '08 3LT with 60K for $27,999. It has every option I was wanting except F55 & NPP.

1G1YY26W685100808

The car has 1 small chip which was touched up on the RT QT panel, 1 small scuff on the left rear bumper which can be buffed, 1 small scuff above the emblem on the front bumper that can be buffed, and a couple tiny marks on the RT head lamp. Interior has no signs of wear (will need to check under the rubber floor mats that are installed). Also, the RT corner of the bumper, between the lamp and the hood, is raised slightly. I looked at another Vette on the lot that had the same thing going on. Is this common?

It drove great, nothing sounded out of place, everything under the hood is clean, no signs of water, belt ran straight. Shifted smooth and everything seemed in place. Did a couple of tight slow figure 8's, no cracks, popping, or noises from the car.

The only thing I noticed. After driving I put the vehicle into reverse, and it felt almost like the clutch was hanging just before catching, when I went back to first it did the same thing. Once I moved in first, and pushed the clutch in again I didn't notice it. Back to reverse and it felt like it hung up again. Is this a cause for concern?

I rode with the salesman in the car today, and the weather was not great for a Corvette test drive, overcast, misting, roads wet.

When I take my wife back tomorrow and can go for a little bit longer of a drive, is there anything special I should be looking out for or testing?

As long as I don't find a reason not to, I will probably park this thing in my garage tomorrow night.
Keep looking and don't be hesitant to purchase out of state. That mileage is too high IMO for that much money although it is the ls3. I had just about given up when I found My 05 DSOM. I really wanted an 06 but the 05 only had 9400 miles Z51 PKG and MN6 with all options and both roofs for around the price they are asking for the 08. Granted yours is 3yrs newer and has the ls3 along with other upgrades but I really think you can find better if you hang in there. And if you can pay just slightly more you can get a much better car. Whatever you do don't give up. Your baby is out there waiting. They are a LOT of fun. Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome to the family.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Also, the RT corner of the bumper, between the lamp and the hood, is raised slightly. I looked at another Vette on the lot that had the same thing going on. Is this common?
This is an easy fix and VERY common. The clip cost me about $10 and takes 5 minutes.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...per-clips.html
And I agree with the other person who said your location dictates the price. That would be a great price in my area.

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Thanks for all of the responses.

My primary search range has been 1,000 miles from my home (central Kansas) which gives me a big area, but misses some of the high population costal areas.

I am willing to travel to get the car, but the extra costs involved in that would cut into savings IF I found one cheaper.

I'll have the car looked at by someone outside of Carmax, and check all the fluids. If anything seems off I will walk in a heart beat. The car does come with a 30-day warranty, so if something would come up within that time frame it would be covered.

I'm willing to over pay a touch ($1000-1500) for the convenience if it all. Not having to fly somewhere, give a random person a check for a piece of paper and set of keys, drive however far back home, get the thing inspected and registered, pay sales tax out of pocket, hope that their are no issues on an as-is vehicle. This would be a walk out today with all of that completed, which saves me a lot of stress.

The car does not have Z51, which is an option I wasn't really wanting. I'm not buying the car for the track and would like a little bit softer suspension as the roads I'm frequently on aren't the smoothest.

Keep the comments coming, I like to hear all sides of things. Definitely gives me more things to look into on the car before making a decision!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 AM
BHS.SWM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Finding Corvettes

I just purchase a 3LT w/ 12400 miles on it for $29950.00 It is in mint shape/ gorgous. I would keep looking. There are many nice Vettes w/ low mi on them.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:44 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,363 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Thanks for all of the responses.
Keep the comments coming, I like to hear all sides of things. Definitely gives me more things to look into on the car before making a decision!
Put your wallet away and search some more...for instance:
Corvette Warehouse (somewhere in KS) has a 2009 JSB coupe with 63k miles for $30k (seems to be the max you want to spend)...
Hendrick Nissan in KC has a 2009 silver coupe ONE OWNER with 38k miles for $28k...

Just a quick search on autotrader...

Quick Reply: Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!