C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:58 AM
tjwor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Put your wallet away and search some more...for instance:
Corvette Warehouse (somewhere in KS) has a 2009 JSB coupe with 63k miles for $30k (seems to be the max you want to spend)...
Hendrick Nissan in KC has a 2009 silver coupe ONE OWNER with 38k miles for $28k...

Just a quick search on autotrader...
These are 2 prime examples of the vehicles I've seen over the past few months. 09, same miles, $2K more than the one here.

The Hendrix one is an automatic.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:02 AM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BHS.SWM
I just purchase a 3LT w/ 12400 miles on it for $29950.00 It is in mint shape/ gorgous. I would keep looking. There are many nice Vettes w/ low mi on them.
And winter weather makes it a buyers market.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:18 AM
red4twenty7
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwor
I've been looking (mainly dreaming) at Corvettes for as long as I can remember. Finally to the point that I've decided I can get one if I want.

Found an '08 3LT with 60K for $27,999. It has every option I was wanting except F55 & NPP.

1G1YY26W685100808

The car has 1 small chip which was touched up on the RT QT panel, 1 small scuff on the left rear bumper which can be buffed, 1 small scuff above the emblem on the front bumper that can be buffed, and a couple tiny marks on the RT head lamp. Interior has no signs of wear (will need to check under the rubber floor mats that are installed). Also, the RT corner of the bumper, between the lamp and the hood, is raised slightly. I looked at another Vette on the lot that had the same thing going on. Is this common?

It drove great, nothing sounded out of place, everything under the hood is clean, no signs of water, belt ran straight. Shifted smooth and everything seemed in place. Did a couple of tight slow figure 8's, no cracks, popping, or noises from the car.

The only thing I noticed. After driving I put the vehicle into reverse, and it felt almost like the clutch was hanging just before catching, when I went back to first it did the same thing. Once I moved in first, and pushed the clutch in again I didn't notice it. Back to reverse and it felt like it hung up again. Is this a cause for concern?

I rode with the salesman in the car today, and the weather was not great for a Corvette test drive, overcast, misting, roads wet.

When I take my wife back tomorrow and can go for a little bit longer of a drive, is there anything special I should be looking out for or testing?

As long as I don't find a reason not to, I will probably park this thing in my garage tomorrow night.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think if you look around you can find a better car with lower miles and a2008 with the NPP, that is a real nice feature to have.
I sold a 2008 Vert last year with 9000 miles on it for 34K and it was mint and loaded, so if you want a coupe I know you can find a great one, especially this time of year.
Check out Rogers Corvette in Orlando, Fla they have several and are a first class place to deal with and carry's only high quality Vettes.
Free advise and 20+ plus years buying and selling corvettes, good luck
Old 11-22-2014, 11:32 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While a few may point out slightly better deals, this one seems to me to at least represent a fair value, especially considering that it is a reputable dealer and local to you.

It sound like from your description that the 08 car will still clean up pretty nice, but at the same time seems to be starting to show signs of it's age.

You seem to be level headed, so if you stay patient, you will find something you really, really, really want at a fair price. Maybe this one is it, but remember, there are plenty out there.

I and many others here recommend getting the newest and lowest mileage you can swing, since there seems to be a lot of price compression in used vettes. Meaning a low mileage 2-3 year old car is not that much more than a higher mileage 7 year old car.

Since you don't want Z51, you might consider a newer, babied 2011-2012 with maybe 10-20k miles, 1LT or 2LT for maybe $4-5 grand more.

For 15-20% more money, you get a 3 year old car instead of 7. In 3 years, you will have a 6 year old car instead of 10. A 2012 may still have some factory B-B warranty left.

And down the road, if you keep it or sell it, you will make up much, or all of the extra 5 grand in lower maintenance and repairs and higher resale.

Good Luck.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 PM
bolling
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjwor
I've been looking (mainly dreaming) at Corvettes for as long as I can remember. Finally to the point that I've decided I can get one if I want.

Found an '08 3LT with 60K for $27,999. It has every option I was wanting except F55 & NPP.

1G1YY26W685100808

The car has 1 small chip which was touched up on the RT QT panel, 1 small scuff on the left rear bumper which can be buffed, 1 small scuff above the emblem on the front bumper that can be buffed, and a couple tiny marks on the RT head lamp. Interior has no signs of wear (will need to check under the rubber floor mats that are installed). Also, the RT corner of the bumper, between the lamp and the hood, is raised slightly. I looked at another Vette on the lot that had the same thing going on. Is this common?

It drove great, nothing sounded out of place, everything under the hood is clean, no signs of water, belt ran straight. Shifted smooth and everything seemed in place. Did a couple of tight slow figure 8's, no cracks, popping, or noises from the car.

The only thing I noticed. After driving I put the vehicle into reverse, and it felt almost like the clutch was hanging just before catching, when I went back to first it did the same thing. Once I moved in first, and pushed the clutch in again I didn't notice it. Back to reverse and it felt like it hung up again. Is this a cause for concern?

I rode with the salesman in the car today, and the weather was not great for a Corvette test drive, overcast, misting, roads wet.

When I take my wife back tomorrow and can go for a little bit longer of a drive, is there anything special I should be looking out for or testing?

As long as I don't find a reason not to, I will probably park this thing in my garage tomorrow night.
If you like the car and happy with the price, get it checked out and buy it if it checks out. Everyone is giving their honest opinion but price is so subjective. Check out KBB and some other pricing guides and you have an idea. I have never bought a car from a dealer where I felt I came out on top because if they aren't making a certain profit margin you won't get the car. Another opinion.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:29 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

i hope your not buying it from some "off the wall dealer." if so, make sure you get a decent warranty to cover yourself in case of any problems you may encounter sooner than anticipated. one more thing. as impatient as you are, and i know you are because i was in your shoes once, as most forum members were when we bought our car. do yourself a favor, take your time and look online at other used vettes that are on sale. there are so many to choose from with lower milage on the clock. just my opinion. anyway, if you decide to buy, good luck.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:36 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me that people will come on her and say that they sold their Corvette for $XX,XXX and that they bought their Corvette for $XX,XXX.

OP If you said that they were paying your $100 to take it off of their hands some a$$clown on this forum would say: "Well the person that I bought my Corvette from paid me $200!"

If the price is within your comfort zone and you like the car go for it and good luck. If you sit around and wait for the best deal you'll be looking at 10 year old C7s.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

I went through similar issues when searching for my 2008. I wanted very specific things and while many people can say "there are plenty of low mile 2008 models for less" they did not meet the criteria I was looking for. I wanted Red, 3LT, NPP, Z51, dual tops, non-nav, under 20,000 miles and solid color interior either tan or black. I think the low miles was the key driver for the price in what I was looking for, any car under 25,000 miles was at least a few thousand more than other cars.

When searching, I would start with 2008 and low miles, but as I added all the other things, it became harder and harder to find everything I wanted. I would find plenty that did not have Z51 and NPP for less, or only had clear or solid top, but I do not want to add these types of things later. I wanted a ready-to-go stock car.

Because of this, I did pay a little more than 'average' for a 2008 model, but after four months I found the right car about 400 miles away. I could have settled and paid less, but then I would be hunting for parts and needing to make changes.

If you have a budget, and the car you find is within that budget, then be happy with it. There will be people that say "Oh you paid too much" or "I saw one just like that for $5,000 less" but I guarantee the cars they are thinking of are not what you were looking for.

My car is exactly what I was looking for and it was the price I wanted to pay. That's what is important. Focus on condition and criteria, and if it's in your budget don't worry about what others are saying on price. I doubt anyone with a comparable car would sell theirs for the price they are saying you should be able to buy one for.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:32 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

my car didn't have everything i wanted. the buying factor was that it was a new car, period. i did have the nine speakers and nav. and thats all i really wanted.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

The price does not seem bad to me. Caliper covers are not going to do anything but keep heat on the brakes. I'd loose those quick. I agree to check out the master cylinder reservoir.
Are the tires new. I can’t tell what brand. Overall tire wear is a good indicator of the previous owners driving style. The C6 is pretty much bullet proof. IF the car feels strong, sits level and looks good it might not be a bad deal. It’s not a bad idea to pull a wheel and take a hard look at the brake pads and rotors. They are not hard or really pricy to change but it’s a good thing to check.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:04 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jsucraig
It never ceases to amaze me that people will come on her and say that they sold their Corvette for $XX,XXX and that they bought their Corvette for $XX,XXX.
OP If you said that they were paying your $100 to take it off of their hands some a$$clown on this forum would say: "Well the person that I bought my Corvette from paid me $200!"
If the price is within your comfort zone and you like the car go for it and good luck. If you sit around and wait for the best deal you'll be looking at 10 year old C7s.
Amen to that. The only thing I would add is: they sold their Corvette for $+XX,XXX and that they bought their Corvette for $-XX,XXX.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:15 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Price varies on where you live.
Seems a fair price to me.

Suggestion about clutch fluid being changed is a good one.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Gizmo1302
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tibasnatch
That is not a good price IMO. I just picked up today a 2011 GS with 40k miles for $34k 3lt
Say what? 2011 at that price. Awwwee heck just when i had it figured out for 30k, now this, the brain is rethinking the whole search thing and wanting to look for a 2011. If you purchased one, then there has to be another out there, "here we gooooo" again.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

Don't let others tell you how to spend your money. If you posted that car up for $10,000, somebody here would say it is too much. If you like it and can afford it, buy it and have fun! Good luck and welcome to the club.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:27 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Way to much money for the amount of miles. It's winter so prices will go down.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:51 PM
brywood
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to compare:

Bought mine back in January 2014: It was silver and had the light grey interior- did not want black.

2008 A6, 3LT with Nav., chrome Gumbys. 56,000 miles. Brand new tires. Paid $25,800. I was pretty happy with the deal.

Somebody will always say they found a better deal, just like someone will always be faster than you; if your happy with the price, buy it already
Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Short of ordering new, everything else will be something you'll have to settle for what's available.

I saw drilled rotors which are standard on Z51 and NPP options, but also as a stand-alone option. Did you see J55 on the glovebox sticker and did not see Z51 or NPP? Otherwise they were owner changed.

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!

Old 11-22-2014, 11:11 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many cars for sale right now. Your biggest bargaining chip is that you are serious buyer but you can walk away. The longer it sits the more likely they'll come down on the price. If you miss out on the car there are plenty more.

When I was looking at a 2013 GS and decided I didn't want it the salesman asked me if there was ANY price that would get me to buy it. Luckily for most Vette owners/buyer we have other vehicles so it's not a necessity to have one right now and they know that. I just didn't like the color and that's major - had never seen night race blue.

Last edited by janicept; 11-22-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2014, 11:30 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by janicept
There are many cars for sale right now. Your biggest bargaining chip is that you are serious buyer but you can walk away. The longer it sits the more likely they'll come down on the price. If you miss out on the car there are plenty more.

When I was looking at a 2013 GS and decided I didn't want it the salesman asked me if there was ANY price that would get me to buy it. Luckily for most Vette owners/buyer we have other vehicles so it's not a necessity to have one right now and they know that. I just didn't like the color and that's major - had never seen night race blue.
i did the same thing on a yellow vette.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:19 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Isaac
Say what? 2011 at that price. Awwwee heck just when i had it figured out for 30k, now this, the brain is rethinking the whole search thing and wanting to look for a 2011. If you purchased one, then there has to be another out there, "here we gooooo" again.
See post #31...

Quick Reply: Test Drove an 08 Vette today, taking the wife with me tomorrow!