C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty...Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Bazinga
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty...Thoughts?

I would like to start with letting everyone on the Vette Forum know how much I appreciate the information and the amount of knowledge I have gained in the past few months from all of the members.

Having said that, I have a 2012 GS with 7400 on the clock. I am looking to purchase the GMPP, Platinum 0, 60/50,000 for $950.00

I will never put those kinds of miles on my pride and joy, just thinking it it would give me piece of mind and also to the next person that might purchase said pride and joy.

All input is greatly appreciated..
Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

First off, I totally agree w/ you about CF- it is an invaluable resource for Corvette ownership!!

I bought the extended warranty with my Vette because a) I plan to own the vehicle long-term (and am not buying it for someone else down the road) b) there are some known issues with these vehicles that require expensive repairs and c) I prefer to have the peace of mind that I am taking on less risk with the investment

Do some research on this forum about known issues with C6 generation and I think you will opt for that warranty just to be safe. The vast majority of owners have little or no problems with their Vettes but there are also some horror stories- that is why I bought the warranty just to be safe.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:28 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

For only $950, spread over 5 years, GMPP is the best warranty deal. GM dealers have no problem with that coverage. I bought a 2008 with some remaining GMPP coverage. I paid more for the car, but had no worries of hidden issues being the reason for the car getting listed for sale. These cars are good, but one or two issues over the next 5 years could easily cost more than the $950. I had a wheel bearing and shifter replaced within 2 months of buying the car. I paid $0.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Bazinga
Advanced

Thanks M,

I attempted to find some older threads I had read a few months ago. At that point the best price I heard was around $1250.00, but not sure of the specifics/terms of the warranty.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Shop around for the warranty, Ken Fichtner/Rimrock Chevrolet is one good source.

We've bought 3 new Corvettes (2001, 2006, now 2009) and bough te GMPP for each one. Unfortunately, we've made money big time on each GMPP, I wouldn't get a Corvette without it.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Bazinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Shop around for the warranty, Ken Fichtner/Rimrock Chevrolet is one good source.

We've bought 3 new Corvettes (2001, 2006, now 2009) and bough te GMPP for each one. Unfortunately, we've made money big time on each GMPP, I wouldn't get a Corvette without it.
Thanks Gearhead, Ken is the person I spoke to tonight regarding the warranty..think I might have to give him a shot..
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM
stanstiles
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default warranty

We bought our '11 Torch Red GS convertible new, and debated a while about the extended warranty. We traded in our '05 TR convertible that we bought with 7500 miles on it. Had very few issues with that car and wouldn't have used an extended warranty most likely.

Ultimately decided to get the extended and gotta say we're really glad we did. We've used it twice and are ahead of the warranty.

Plus, just the added security of knowing if something goes wrong that you're covered. After having a harmonic balancer situation just before leaving on the caravan earlier this year, I know I saved a lot of time that I would have worried about it.

Basically, it was our first extended warranty, but we'll have one for every 'Vette we have in the future.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Without an extended warranty - when something breaks ya gotta pay for it.
With the warranty, ya pay for it whether it breaks or not!

Hey, don't listen to me,check out what Consumer Reports says about extended warranties.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Robs 1988
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it with my 2005. I used it to fix the shifter (wouldn't shift out of park quite often), then the memory seat controller, seat, and telescoping steering wheel all went out, then the passenger seat stopped working, and I had some issue with the traction control system sending me messages. Coupled with a free loaner car each time I had it serviced under warranty, I found it to be a good deal and a nice peace of mind to have.

The dealership even came and got my car, free of charge, because of the issue with it being stuck in park and fixed it the next day while dropping off a loaner car for me to use at the same time. All I ever had to do was pay a small deductible.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 PM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 124 Posts

Anyone have a phone # for Ken Fichtner/Rimrock Chevrolet? Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 11:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Does your car qualify for the new Chev. plan with Ken? What is the in service date of your car?

Generally, the next buyer won't pay anything for nor will your car sell easier w. the extended plan. If you don't use it, you may as well turn it in before you sell it and get a refund which you can do.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 64Corvette
Anyone have a phone # for Ken Fichtner/Rimrock Chevrolet? Thanks
see his thread on C6 Gen today.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:56 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

I tried to get in touch with Ken several times through his email with no response, is he still around?
Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it gives you piece of mine that's all that really matter. I personally would not buy an extended warrant unless the car needed frequent repairs while under the current warrant. These cars are made to last.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by carjo
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Without an extended warranty - when something breaks ya gotta pay for it.
With the warranty, ya pay for it whether it breaks or not!

Hey, don't listen to me,check out what Consumer Reports says about extended warranties.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
exactly. it's not like they're offering it as a good-guy service. sure, sometimes they pay off for the people that have them, but more often than not.. not the case. the only reason they are offered is because the house always wins.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 PM
vettejbb
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 48 month GMPP from Ken for my 2010.. $0 deductible so it was right around the same price as you are considering.. It was a great peace of mind for me and I just didn't want the expense of a larger bill should something go wrong.. Anyway, nothing did go wrong and I sold the car well before the extended warranty was up.. Sent in a cancellation notice and I received a refund on the years/months remaining.. Bought a 2012 GS and will be getting another extended warranty next year especially since it has those magnetic shocks..
Old 11-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

With less than 24K Miles on the car why not go with the 84 month/56K plan? Not sure if they offer it anymore but that is what I purchased from Fichtner in 2011 just before my B2B warranty ran out. Averages to about $350 per year which is less than the average repair per year if all you have is one repair per year. Even the so called Icon of reliability Toyota averages over 1 repair per year.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty...Thoughts?

Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by garye
I tried to get in touch with Ken several times through his email with no response, is he still around?
Well, he says he's still around.

He used to own the dealership (Fichtner Chevrolet), sold it and is now an employee (manager?)
For several years, his cousin (?) Dennis was handling the GMPP but there was some kind of falling out, around the time of the sale. Dennis is now selling GMPP at another dealership in the area.

Not sure which one to recommend over the other.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Now your scaring me.

Maybe this is why I treat the car like it was an egg.

Nevertheless I can not get the notion out of my mind that theses insurance company's are making bank.

This alone provided enough hesitation that I cancelled my GMPP policy, a few months after I purchased the the car.

So far I have been lucky with not having problems out of the "normally topiced posted threads. In other word nothing has broken yet on the 2008 with 32,000 miles.

Would I feel more comfortable having it, sure but I think all of us like having some form of insurance covering most things in life.

Maybe my more positive outlook has been nourished with the near project reliabilty of my 96 4 Runner with 197,000 miles, even has the original brakes untouched other than fluid. Driver's bottom seat cushion shows some ripping along the side by the seat tilt lever though, so the car is showing her history. I am sure the Corvette seats will be in poor shape at 19 yrs of wear too.

I have only owned one car in my life that I wished I had never bought it or in the least wish I carried a policy on it (GMPP) . 1980 Volvo GLE a motor/driveline nightmare off the boat anchor 6 cylinder.

Well are you feeling lucky, I know I do most the time.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
With less than 24K Miles on the car why not go with the 84 month/56K plan? Not sure if they offer it anymore but that is what I purchased from Fichtner in 2011 just before my B2B warranty ran out. Averages to about $350 per year which is less than the average repair per year if all you have is one repair per year. Even the so called Icon of reliability Toyota averages over 1 repair per year.

Bill
Not my 96 4 Runner Bill.

How about 1 repair per 19 years.

Excluding the usual wear and replace items.

As you might remember even the original brakes untouched, other than fluid, with 197,000 miles.

I do figure I might need two angles on my shoulders with the corvette.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty...Thoughts?