C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get in my 2005 i put in the hatch key turn it and it wont open

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:43 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get in my 2005 i put in the hatch key turn it and it wont open

Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,360 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by XPLOSV
I have to ask the obvious...the car battery is dead?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:00 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Dead as disco
Old 11-18-2014, 09:01 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

The lights barely flicker
Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

So...you put the key in the slot above the license plate, turned it, and nothing? Did you spray some WD40 in the keyhole? Does it turn easy? Does your hatch normally pop open when you hit the button? Did you try to lift the hatch as you turn the key?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

So...you put the key in the slot above the license plate, turned it, and nothing? Did you spray some WD40 in the keyhole? Does it turn easy? Does your hatch normally pop open when you hit the button? Did you try to lift the hatch as you turn the key?
Yes turned the key 90 degrees to the left it wont turn to the right at all. No didnt try to pull open the hatch at the same time not really sure how to pry on it without damaging it
Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Im not hearing or feeling a click when i turn it
Old 11-18-2014, 09:37 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

spray some wd40 on the key a few times and keep reinserting it into the lock and turning it so the lock get lubed up good.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Im not hearing or feeling a click when i turn it
try a suction cup or plunger on the back window lifting while someone turns the key
Old 11-19-2014, 12:41 AM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HK770
Were it me i would lift car to get to starter. On starter main pos terminal put battery charger cable. Hook neg cable to any ground of your choice and charge battery.

luck
Thanks that's good thinking. No jack and car is lowered thus making it tough to even find a shop in town that can get under to jack it.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:43 AM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Thanks that's good thinking. No jack and car is lowered thus making it tough to even find a shop in town that can get under to jack it.
So I can charge the battery by hooking it up to the starter which is under the car by just connecting the positive and grounding the negative ?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:18 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

If your physical key isn't working, It seems to me you have more than one thing happening badly. Did you try both keys? Even with a dead battery, your key should pop the trunk/hatch. There should be no servo noise, just a difficult turn of the key to pop the back. It's harder than you think to turn it.

Do you know that the key actually works on this car? Have you used it successfully in the past? I'm assuming you aren't the original owner, so this might not be the original key for this car.

If you still can't pop the back, and aren't sure if this is the original key, you can get a new one cut using the vin. If you're sure this is the correct key, then obviously the the latch in the back is bad.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 AM
C6R_iceman21
Heel & Toe

I just had the same issue and I sprayed WD-40 on the key hole and it popped open for me.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes turned the key 90 degrees to the left it wont turn to the right at all. No didnt try to pull open the hatch at the same time not really sure how to pry on it without damaging it
I believe the key should turn to the right or clockwise as you are looking straight up at the lock. It's hard if not used in awhile. Once you get it working again put a piece of tape over it. That area gets a lot of trash when driving.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Has it ever worked? Some cars came off the line with the cable disconnected. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-heads-up.html

If that is the problem then the way to get in is to hook a charger to the starter solenoid terminal. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...open-door.html has a picture of the terminal.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Thanks all who posted. Still haven't got in. I had a key cut from the vin at the dealer it turns counter clockwise no problem up to 90 degrees but not clockwise i read one of you guys said clockwise looking up at it so i guess i will try that with some wd40 i dont want to bust the key though. GRRR ! I was leaving the hood open but i opened it and the wind blew it down now its pinned on the passenger side
Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Can a roadside assistance break in ive heard c6s are hard to break into ?

Get notified of new replies

To Cant get in my 2005 i put in the hatch key turn it and it wont open

Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Some where on this forum there are threads discussing how to remove a tail light and access the latch. As I recall there were two problems that can occur, one is where road grit and dust gets into the push button mechanism, and the other had to do with a cable between the key slot and the latch coming loose. Im not sure you can fix the loose cable going in through the tail lights, might only be the pushbutton. Try some searches, sometimes its easier just to search Google than to use the CF search feature, most of the Google results will end up being links to CF. Hope this is some help. You should also find some threads discussing hooking a charger to the starter connections. That may be your best bet.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Can a roadside assistance break in ive heard c6s are hard to break into ?
Yes...with a slight pry out of the door glass and a "lariat" stuffed through the window to grab the emergency release.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:54 PM
XPLOSV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by v26278
Some where on this forum there are threads discussing how to remove a tail light and access the latch. As I recall there were two problems that can occur, one is where road grit and dust gets into the push button mechanism, and the other had to do with a cable between the key slot and the latch coming loose. Im not sure you can fix the loose cable going in through the tail lights, might only be the pushbutton. Try some searches, sometimes its easier just to search Google than to use the CF search feature, most of the Google results will end up being links to CF. Hope this is some help. You should also find some threads discussing hooking a charger to the starter connections. That may be your best bet.
v26278 and ruxvette thank you the little horseshoe where the ball fits in has somehow been broken off thus rendering the key lock useless, Wonder how that happened ?!

Quick Reply: Cant get in my 2005 i put in the hatch key turn it and it wont open