C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on wheel hubs-How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:08 PM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rust on wheel hubs-How to fix?

I have rust on my wheel hubs (not the actual wheels or brake rotors) and wonder if other have had this issue, and how to best fix it. I have seen this on quite a few Corvettes. Can these be sanded and painted, coated somehow or do they need to be replaced ($$$$$$ !)? Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Old 11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by GuruGuy
I have rust on my wheel hubs (not the actual wheels or brake rotors) and wonder if other have had this issue, and how to best fix it. I have seen this on quite a few Corvettes. Can these be sanded and painted, coated somehow or do they need to be replaced ($$$$$$ !)? Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Take them off. Sand and paint with high-temp spray paint. Very easy fix.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:37 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought some siver caliper paint but i think i'm going to paint mine with some cold galv. paint. The cold galv. is gray like the factory color.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:51 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you mean something like this>>

From

To

From

To

What I used was a product call Fast Etch by Eastwood>>>>
"This specially formulated rust remover is a powerful, rust-fighting liquid created to meet the needs of auto restorers. It reaches even inaccessible areas, quickly dissolving iron oxide completely and leaving a zinc phosphate coating. Fast Etch can be sprayed, brushed, or used as a parts dip. It is non-toxic, non-flammable and reusable. This is not a primer. Treated surfaces should be wiped with PRE Painting Prep (10041 Z) or thinner before priming and painting. Only the quart size comes with a sprayer."
Old 11-13-2014, 03:58 PM
rmiller86
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks good!! I've used that stuff in the past on other parts, works great!!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
Do you mean something like this>>

What I used was a product call Fast Etch by Eastwood>>>>
"This specially formulated rust remover is a powerful, rust-fighting liquid created to meet the needs of auto restorers. It reaches even inaccessible areas, quickly dissolving iron oxide completely and leaving a zinc phosphate coating. Fast Etch can be sprayed, brushed, or used as a parts dip. It is non-toxic, non-flammable and reusable. This is not a primer. Treated surfaces should be wiped with PRE Painting Prep (10041 Z) or thinner before priming and painting. Only the quart size comes with a sprayer."
Exactly! It looks like you did this while still on the car? How did you protect the rotors & calipers? Also, how long has this lasted? Any chipping or wheel balance issues? Thanks very much for the reply and info!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ok, first off, these ARE the rotors.

fwiw,
I can tell what I did in spring this year:
- bought new oem z51 rotors from amazon,
- had them (silver) zink coated,
- installed all w new oem ceramic pads,

( I also added another step that I WOULD NOT do again, after the plating I painted them w caliper/heat resistant paint, that would not adhere well and is peeling off but the zinc underneath is fine, so I'm kinda waiting for all the paint to peel off. )

there wasn't much rain since, (its pretty much my dd), while i'm happy right now I can't speak yet about the long term corrosion result which was obviously my goal.

one thing though, the first bunch of miles were quite "interesting" until the coating wore off at the pad area of the rotors

also, I tried the fast etch method on my existing rotors first, actually got a gallon of that stuff from eastwood, submerged the rotors into it, while ok for a while it did not last for me.
I assume due to the fact that the rotors were used with the chances of getting them real clean being slim before the treatment, just my comcliusion.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Jameskapp001@gmail
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by edcologne
ok, first off, these ARE the rotors.

fwiw,
I can tell what I did in spring this year:
- bought new oem z51 rotors from amazon,
- had them (silver) zink coated,
- installed all w new oem ceramic pads,

( I also added another step that I WOULD NOT do again, after the plating I painted them w caliper/heat resistant paint, that would not adhere well and is peeling off but the zinc underneath is fine, so I'm kinda waiting for all the paint to peel off. )

there wasn't much rain since, (its pretty much my dd), while i'm happy right now I can't speak yet about the long term corrosion result which was obviously my goal.

one thing though, the first bunch of miles were quite "interesting" until the coating wore off at the pad area of the rotors

also, I tried the fast etch method on my existing rotors first, actually got a gallon of that stuff from eastwood, submerged the rotors into it, while ok for a while it did not last for me.
I assume due to the fact that the rotors were used with the chances of getting them real clean being slim before the treatment, just my comcliusion.
I just wiped the rotor down with thinner and used high temp black paint
(barbecue grille)and they were fine all summer.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:36 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Exactly! It looks like you did this while still on the car? How did you protect the rotors & calipers? Also, how long has this lasted? Any chipping or wheel balance issues? Thanks very much for the reply and info!
First, absolutely no issues with what I did initially (Fast Etch), but I decided to take things to the next level and sent the rotors out for zinc treatment (basically hot dip). With that said the hubs remained fine with only the Fast Etch treatment.

I removed the calipers and brackets (which is very easy to do) then placed the rotors (one at a time) in a bucket with the Fast Etch and worked in with a brush

The hubs I just did in place…again worked the Fast Etch with a brush and some steel wool and let dry

About a year later (and the treatment last quite fine for that period of time) I decided to do the zinc treatment

Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 PM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Just an update. Thanks to everyone for their input - it was really helpful. I am taking my 'Vette to WheelMedic, a local (Columbus, OH) company who does amazing work to repair wheels. They fixed a chrome wheel for me a few years ago and it was like new. They are going to clean off the rust and paint with caliper paint, and do it all for a total of $100! Worth the money to me to have this done by professionals who have all the tools and knowledge.

Get notified of new replies

To Rust on wheel hubs-How to fix?

Quick Reply: Rust on wheel hubs-How to fix?