C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 AM
camper93
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender

Hello
How big of a battery tender should I use when I store my 07/Z06 for the winter and do I leave it plugged in all the time or do I unplug it after the battery is charged.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:56 AM
rmiller86
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camper93
Hello
How big of a battery tender should I use when I store my 07/Z06 for the winter and do I leave it plugged in all the time or do I unplug it after the battery is charged.
Thanks guys.
Try the CTEK 3300, works really good, with couple different ways to hook it up.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I leave my battery in the car during winter storage. I keep my maintainer plugged in from November until April. I use this one from wallyworld...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...5-Amp/15140193
Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Smallest you can find. The slower the charge rate the less damage is done by the charge. You get a big charger if you are in a hurry and don't mind how much damage you do to the battery. You get a small charger if you have time to treat the battery well. A tender can be far smaller since you don't care if it takes 2 days to get to a full charge and holding the charge requires less than 10mA.

A tender/maintainer is designed to be plugged in and left on. That's why it is a tender/maintainer and not a charger. I've left a Battery Tender Jr. on a battery in a garage for 4 years continously and over 8 years most of the time. Still good as new.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Smallest you can find. The slower the charge rate the less damage is done by the charge. You get a big charger if you are in a hurry and don't mind how much damage you do to the battery. You get a small charger if you have time to treat the battery well. A tender can be far smaller since you don't care if it takes 2 days to get to a full charge and holding the charge requires less than 10mA.

A tender/maintainer is designed to be plugged in and left on. That's why it is a tender/maintainer and not a charger. I've left a Battery Tender Jr. on a battery in a garage for 4 years continously and over 8 years most of the time. Still good as new.
That's what I learned decades ago, nice to see that physics hasn't changed.

Also: A trickle (1 amp or less) gives the battery a full "deep" charge; the fast chargers only give it a surface charge which is probably enough to start your car, depending on the condition of the battery, but it will still need to be fully charged by driving or trickle charging.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,360 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I leave my battery in the car during winter storage. I keep my maintainer plugged in from November until April. I use this one from wallyworld...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...5-Amp/15140193
Same here...been working perfectly for four years.
Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer, 1.5-Amp $15.98.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Hello
Thanks guys.
I use a Battery Tender Jr. I have 3 of them (1 for the vette and 2 for our Harleys) I have been using them for several year and have yet to have any problem. I usually put my vette away for the winter from December to late March, and keep the BT Jr hooked up the entire time. They are ~$30 each.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:14 AM
camper93
Advanced

Thanks guys!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  54.2 KB

Here's my choice. A little more expensive than some of the above but it comes a 10 year warranty.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

The one that I have is a Motomaster brand (made specifically for Canadian Tire stores up here) and it's listed as a battery charger/maintainer. On the back it lists the input as being 120V AC, 60hz, 0.5A and the output is listed as 12V DC, 2A. So does this mean it's a 2 amp charger or a 0.5 amp charger? I have been leaving it attached for the entire winter storage period, and haven't had any problems, but if it is a 2 amp charger does this mean it's a bit too powerful to leave attached the entire time? Should I be periodically removing it and letting the battery sit so as to not overcharge it? I think when I bought it the manual did say that it shuts off the charging when it senses it's up to full charge, but I am still concerned nonetheless.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:58 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I use the Battery Tender Jr. It's pluged in whenever its in the barn. 24/7.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:58 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Attachment 47839136

Here's my choice. A little more expensive than some of the above but it comes a 10 year warranty.
I've used the Plus for 6 years on my car in the winter hibernation, and in the summer I keep my Golf cart battery charged with it. So it's 12 months a year usage on mine
Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1

I really like your set up. I have that connector as well with my Plus. I must do that
Thank You for posting that pic
Old 11-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
The one that I have is a Motomaster brand (made specifically for Canadian Tire stores up here) and it's listed as a battery charger/maintainer. On the back it lists the input as being 120V AC, 60hz, 0.5A and the output is listed as 12V DC, 2A. So does this mean it's a 2 amp charger or a 0.5 amp charger? I have been leaving it attached for the entire winter storage period, and haven't had any problems, but if it is a 2 amp charger does this mean it's a bit too powerful to leave attached the entire time? Should I be periodically removing it and letting the battery sit so as to not overcharge it? I think when I bought it the manual did say that it shuts off the charging when it senses it's up to full charge, but I am still concerned nonetheless.
It's a 2 amp charger. If it's a maintainer it won't overcharge the battery, but it is charging it at a faster rate than is necessary.

I have a 1.5 amp and I use that or my 1 amp on the bike or boat battery. Not a big deal, I wouldn't worry about it, but like FtMorganAl said above the smallest (output amps) is better for the battery.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

More is not better in this case. As long as it puts out enough to compensate for the computer's current draw and a slight amount for the battery, it will be fine. The car uses less than 20ma to keep the computer going and the battery another couple of ma. This is far less than a 2 amp charger, 2 amps is 2000 ma.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:22 PM
1RB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello
Thanks guys.
I have and use several tenders on stored equipment. Different brands, but inexpensive, but they all work to save the battery. Cost less than $20. Purchased at Walmart, Autozone, etc. All good. Minimum amps should be better. Research indicates that a tender will greatly extend battery life.

The GM one that came with my C6 uses the cigarette lighter connection. It works fine, but I don't like that it uses the cig lighter connection. My process is to lower the window a crack so the wire doesn't pinch the molding. I would have preferred to have alligator clamps so I can attach to the battery. Easier to leave the hood unlatched. My "to do" list includes replacing the cig lighter connector with alligators, but hasn't been my priority.

So, I recommend an inexpensive one that includes alligator clips to attach to the battery.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a CTEK 3300 and plug it in the cigarette lighter jack in the center console. I run the wire out the bottom of the door in the little notch so the wire does not pinch. Has worked fine for three years.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender

Old 11-08-2014, 08:47 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1

This is how I hooked up my Battery Tender Plus two months ago.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:22 PM
noz34me
Pro

One thing is for sure, you don't need to spend big $$$ on a battery tender. I bought mine at Lowes for about $20; it has both the batter clips and the cigarette lighter adapters that plug and play. The unit monitors itself, so it shuts down when the battery is at capacity- - -I used it all last Winter and it performed flawlessly.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
One thing is for sure, you don't need to spend big $$$ on a battery tender. I bought mine at Lowes for about $20; it has both the batter clips and the cigarette lighter adapters that plug and play. The unit monitors itself, so it shuts down when the battery is at capacity- - -I used it all last Winter and it performed flawlessly.
My Black and Decker came from Home Depot...$20 with lugs, clips and cig lighter adapter...plug in whichever you want.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender