C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 PM
stanstiles
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default steering wheel squeak

Hey all, 2011 GS steering wheel has developed a squeal. Not obnoxious, but I'm like all the rest of you. I DON'T WANT A SQUEAL IN MY 'VETTE!

Short of taking it apart (would not look forward to messing with the air bag), anyone have any history of this? If so, how did you get rid of it.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may the the steering wheel position sensor.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:41 AM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Steering wheel is very, very easy to remove. If you want to avoid any possible issue with the air bag simply remove the positive battery cable from the battery. There are good and easy to follow instructions with photos here on the CF.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine had a quiet squeak to it and I took it in before the 36k bumper to bumper warranty was up. It was time for an oil change so had them look at it at the same time. A plastic part in the steering column had come loose and was rubbing.

Now I have a squeaking brake pedal that I'll deal with some day it bothers me enough. I don't hear it every day so it has not bothered me enough to take it in for a repair or even try some WD 40.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default squeak

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
Mine had a quiet squeak to it and I took it in before the 36k bumper to bumper warranty was up. It was time for an oil change so had them look at it at the same time. A plastic part in the steering column had come loose and was rubbing.

Now I have a squeaking brake pedal that I'll deal with some day it bothers me enough. I don't hear it every day so it has not bothered me enough to take it in for a repair or even try some WD 40.
I have the same minor squeak every now and then with the steering wheel and brake pedal too.

Good luck getting to anything to spray WD 40 on for the brake pedal. I couldn't get to anything mechanical on my 2012 GS without removing something so I'll leave it for the dealership under warranty.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:39 PM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My steering wheel squeaks too when turning. I removed air bag and moved the wires around some. It took away some of the noise, but its still there. Might remove it again and put some lube on it to see if that will help. Usually the radio is up loud enough that I don't hear it. Of course my radio reception is horrible.......

Get notified of new replies

To steering wheel squeak

Quick Reply: steering wheel squeak