C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infuriated with Dealer service department - need advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 AM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default same here buddy

on the soapbox

i took my car in for an oil change ( a forum sponsor). When i got it back the fuse box cover was scuffed up and my cig. lighter was missing. The next day a local cruise/show, the scratches were pointed out by a few, so i dialed the dealership.

spoke to one of the service people asked why they would touch my fuse box cover and to notifying that my the cig. lighter was missing. The response was immediately, "we did not do anything nor did we take the lighter and you probably lost it". I found out i was speaking with one of the receptionists and not a service person, Finally got to speak to some other service person who again said, we did not do anything, nor would we touch the cover and then proceeded to say " I know how all you corvette owners are " . -> me by now and still fired up. This goes on and on and im not a happy camper with this dealership. **
i have another story.. from another visit to the same - seems like they turn over people/employees constantly.

Lesson learned, going to try to get the money back on the premier package and do the oil myself. just got a low profile floor jack today!

off the soapbox

( back on the soapbox )

it was a xmas surprise, the dealership had sent me a new fuse box cover and lighter to make things right. I'm thankful that they did this right. Cheers -
Good things come to those who wait.

Last edited by BLUEMEANIE; 12-27-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: update, dealership made it right
Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I feel your pain but I'm glad the dealer is fixing it. It obviously was from taking the seat out. I took my 08 seat out when installing a new sound system with sound deadening. The areas you show are exactly the damage you'd get if you don't protect those parts when removing the seat. The top should be removed as well. My guess is they didn't remove the roof and certainly didn't protect the trim parts and that is what caused this.

I'm an **** pri*k when it comes to my Corvette. A buddy and me do most of the work ourselves (actually, he does it and I assist) but once a year I take it in for state inspection. I have been using a local shop for years and they know I stand there and watch them. The car never leaves my sight. Before bringing my car to them I did tell them I had major OCD and if they didn't want me watching it was OK and I'd go someplace else.

The shop I use was fine with me watching and even once pointed out some minor damage to my bumper when I must have rubbed a curb while making a u-turn. I recalled exactly when I did that once they pointed it out. Of course I had the bumper repaired so it's perfect again

I have seen how too many dealership service departments operate. There are some good ones but they are hard to find. There used to be a really good one near me with an excellent Corvette mechanic but that dealer went belly up in 2009 along with a lot of other dealers. I was able to locate the mechanic they used who now has his own shop. If I ever need dealer diagnostic work, he will have me covered.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 360Rocket
God I hope they send you a customer service survey. Thats what hurts them the most. They let someone go here this week because he showed up negatively on a CSS.
I received a Customer Service Survey for my last visit. The service was lacking and I indicated so with a request that it be responded to. It is now a month and a half with no response. I think they either do not read them or simply ignore what they contain.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am done with this dealer after they fix it. Went in today before work and they still do not have the parts in. At this rate I will have to bring it in while its snowing out. Its insane they say two days for part every time. and it takes 2 week plus.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Still waiting for parts. Stopped in to see if they were in on monday and all he would say is we will call you. Now I have no idea what to do. There is snow everywhere and I would really like to take insurance off the car.

I kind of feel like they are now doing this on purpose. It shouldn't take 24+ days to replace a part you damaged on a customers vehicle.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:07 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

At this point I'd wait for spring.....
Old 11-15-2014, 08:32 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Three letters: B.B.B.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Another dealer horror story. Why GM allows this is beyond me. OP, hope it all ends with your car properly repaired. You have every right to be absolutely livid. The whole scenario is ridiculous!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
Three letters: B.B.B.
Here's my 2¢ on BBB: save your breath. The BBB that I have dealt with in the past has absolutely no policing power. They will, however, nicely ask the member with whom you have a problem to explain why you do not have a case. Then over.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Damage....

Originally Posted by Ryan5508
I am heading over there in a few to see how to contact someone higher up about this.

If your car has a Targa top, remove it and lift the seat up before removing it. This ensures that the brackets do not scrape things up.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:00 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Garibaldi
Here's my 2¢ on BBB: save your breath. The BBB that I have dealt with in the past has absolutely no policing power. They will, however, nicely ask the member with whom you have a problem to explain why you do not have a case. Then over.
I too, deal with BBB on a regular basis and they WILL contact the merchant and ask for a resolution, whether the merchant chooses to place the blame on customer or not is his prerogative but at least it makes him aware that the customer is not "taking it".

There is no fool proof method to bring any customer service issue to resolution but at this stage in the game I would contend that "saving his breath" should not be an option for the OP (at least it wouldn't be for me) and I think every possible avenue (leading up and including legal counsel if necessary) should be considered when confronted to dishonesty from a dealer, no matter how trivial it may seem to some.

But the OP is the only one able to determine this.

Last edited by GuyFromLeMans; 11-15-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

At this point I would go inside, and stand on someones desk until I talked to the owner of the dealership. Seems to me they aren't at all interested in getting the parts, and repairing what is glaringly their fault. My C6 is 7 years old, and doesn't have one scratch on the trim from the seat belt. I try to be patient, and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But in this case it makes me want to come up there, and open up a can of southern charm on these people for you. Good luck sir.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Gosh, I am lucky. A very small dealership, just one service mgr., one parts guy, and 3 techs. Worried that GM will close them up for being too small. What GREAT service. This dealership will do *anything* for me.
Sure hope they survive! located in Covington, Indiana.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
I too, deal with BBB on a regular basis and they WILL contact the merchant and ask for a resolution, whether the merchant chooses to place the blame on customer or not is his prerogative but at least it makes him aware that the customer is not "taking it".

There is no fool proof method to bring any customer service issue to resolution but at this stage in the game I would contend that "saving his breath" should not be an option for the OP (at least it wouldn't be for me) and I think every possible avenue (leading up and including legal counsel if necessary) should be considered when confronted to dishonesty from a dealer, no matter how trivial it may seem to some.

But the OP is the only one able to determine this.
Perhaps I was not clear. By "saving (his) breath" I meant that the BBB's ability to resolve the problem is limited to the offending member deciding on his own to offer a satisfactory solution to the problem. The BBB has no ability to force a member to "do the right thing." I agree that the OP has other avenues to resolve this issue. I just don't think that contacting BBB will render a fruitful resolution of the matter.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:46 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I've had my seats out so many times, I'd hesitate to guess the number. I still have none of those scratches. Yes, it was a pain the first few times, but then I developed an easy way to do it without any towels, pads, or blankets and not even come close to possible damage. It only takes about 3 minutes from start to finish. I'll see if one of my friends will video it sometime and I'll post up the method.

Here's a link to a post I did a couple years ago, that addressed the saggy seat problem. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-fix-mod.html
You can do this in less time than the drive to a dealer.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

I really get the feeling the service manager is doing this on purpose. I went in there asking for the GM or owner and was stuck with him three weeks ago.

I just cant believable they wouldn't call and give me updates on whats going on. Just a it's not in yet and we will call. If I go in myself (its on my way to work at least).

How hard is it to remove the door trim peice from the car? Im thinking of just pulling it and the door sill off and dropping them on his desk some day. Hope maybe that would motivate them?

Also where is that GM forum rep when you need them? I know they have to have seen this thread by now.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Rather than WAIT for cust. svc, couldn't you call or write GM? What do you expect from the cust. svc people on here? It's your car at that dealer. I doubt if they're going to move your car to some other dealer. If the svc mgr. is on slow down, and you can't get any higher up in the dealership, what is cust svc supposed to do?

Get notified of new replies

To Infuriated with Dealer service department - need advice?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
Rather than WAIT for cust. svc, couldn't you call or write GM? What do you expect from the cust. svc people on here? It's your car at that dealer. I doubt if they're going to move your car to some other dealer. If the svc mgr. is on slow down, and you can't get any higher up in the dealership, what is cust svc supposed to do?
Car is in my garage not the dealer. I would assume any outside questioning besides me would help push them along. Also a different dealer is not going to
repair another dealers damage out of their pockets.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 PM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Name:  54.gif
Views: 201
Size:  497.8 KB
Old 11-17-2014, 11:50 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan5508
Short version of the story -

All summer I have had discomfort in my driver seat bottom. Found out after a lot of looking the seat foam was torn under the seat and needed to be replaced. Under warranty and the car now has 9800 miles on it.

Brought it into the dealer they took a quick look at it and said we will order a new foam and call you in 2 days.

1.5 weeks later I call them....oh looks like we ordered the wrong part. We will call you in 2 days when we get the new one.

1.5 weeks later I call them and set up a time to come in 7 days later.

The main service guy I was working with said he did not trust his guys with this type of job and would be outsourcing it to a local car interior shop. He had made it sound like they need to remove the entire seat to complete the swap. Said to plan on them having it all day.

I ended up picking the car up at 5pm on my way to work and dropped off my loaner car. My car was parked very close to another vehicle so I was trying to squeeze into the vette without touching the other car. Not thinking I only really paid attention to the feel of the seat. I left a happy and satisfied customer.

This is where everything goes downhill.

20 mins later I am getting out of my car and I see all this-

So I am a little unhappy that my car is now beat up but understanding that **** happens and it can be fixed. Called them from the parking lot and was told to come in tomorrow. went in he looked at it and said come in next week weds (today) and we will take care of it.

This is where I don't know how I left without causing a huge scene in front of 20 people.

Pulled in to the service area. The guy I was working with seen me got up and walked into the back room. Came back a few mins later with someone. Service manager / body shop not really sure. I show him the damage to the 4 trim pieces and all he says to me is "that just from your seat belt" and went on to tell me how their owners vette looks just like that after 1,700 miles every single one he drives. Then said there is no way they did it because they take the seat cover off with the seat in the car. (which is exactly the opposite of what the service guy said) He basically accused me of damaging my car and using this as an excuse to make them fix it.

Now i sure I am not alone here in saying I know every mark, scratch, anything on my vette. I wash it at least twice a week by hand. I had even thoroughly detailed it before dropping it off to them the first time.

I am beyond irritated and don't know who to contact on this issue. I can afford to fix all the damage that I figured to be around $250 outside of the paint chip. but the point is they damaged it while it was in their care. I shouldn't have to.

And to say a seat belt caused this is the most infuriating part. It doesn't even reach there without be pulled down by hand. And its covered by the door.

I don't know about everyone else but I shut my door first then put my seat belt on. and do the opposite on the way out.

Can anyone recommend who to talk to at the dealership and does anyone know the actual steps for changing the seat bottom foam?

I can use all the help I can get here.
I would keep pressing the service manager. I've owned 3 C6's and a C5. I've pulled all the driver's seats out and rebuilt the bottom seats (i.e. replaced the bottom seat foam, and covers too). If you cover the plastic interior pieces with a towel before removing the seats, and be patient, all is well. It appears they didn't cover the plastic and just "went for it". Sad. I've got prior body shop experience, so was fairly easy job for me to replace the bottom seat foam.

Sorry to hear and see the damage. Hope you get resolution.

MT

Quick Reply: Infuriated with Dealer service department - need advice?