C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infuriated with Dealer service department - need advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

IIRC, the Service Manual for our 2001 even told you to remove/open the top, and use padding.

It's not there in our 2009 SM, but it should be.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I had a local hotrod custom upholstery shop repair the bottom seat foam in my Z06. Took them about an hour and a half to remove the seat(they covered the sill first to protect it) repair the foam and reinstall the seat. They added additional foam, carpet square under the foam to keep the springs from cutting into it, and placed strips of leather on the aluminum seat frame to prevent it from cutting into the foam. All for $95 with zero damage. Oh, and the shop owner has three corvettes and uses a C5 as his daily driver. Tons of car show trophies for his work.

I realize it's too late for you, but others might want to check into a local shop(that has great recommendations from the hot rod crowd) do the work instead of letting a Chevy dealer touch their car.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went in to talk to a GM or owner of the dealership and ended up with the same service manager that pissed me off in the first place.

While he completely 100% will not admit they caused the damage or the shop they sent it to did it. They are at least going to fix it.

He basically kept stating that people do this all the time to their cars and try to make him pay for it. I asked how would it even be possible for a seat belt to do this and he would only say "I'm not a engineer". Apparently it takes a college education to make a simple observation. Went on to bitch about recalls and how they are working long hours.... Also denied he ever said they didn't take the seat out after giving him info from here.

I am glad I just went home weds and waited to come back but I still feel extremely annoyed with the experience. Everyone at that dealer is excellent. This was the worst person I have ever dealt with at a dealership. how he is head of the service department with extremely poor customer service is beyond me.

This is why sometimes its just easier to own a car outside of the factory warranty and have more choice.

Thanks to everyone here that took the time to reply to my issues. I appreciate it!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Minnesota Scott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Service issue

I video tape my entire car before I let anyone in service touch it. Then, I have a very frank and direct discussion with the service rep that I just video taped my entire car and show him my video camera. I then explain my overall expectations of what is going to happen while my car is in for service....that is if I even bring it to a service location. I have one guy at a local chevy dealer that I trust completely..he respects my car and me at the same time...he gets it that I am wound a bit tight about my car.......if you don't have a guy like that... you need a video camera and let them know up front what you are doing and put them on edge before they have a chance to mess your car up.

To many bad stories about dealerships to mess around.
Scott
Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

That is why I do everything that I can possibly do myself. I trust myself to do it right much more than the service guys.

Some service managers assume that we don't know our cars well enough to know when their dishing out BS.

I have completely stripped everything from my interior to install sound and heat insulation and it's not that hard if you take your time.

And no, you cannot change out bottom seat foam without taking the seats out of the car.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad they are going to fix it, they should. To bad about the service manager I bet they will discover he is bad for business eventually.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Old 10-31-2014, 12:45 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

What I see is collateral damage. The trim pieces are easy to r&r, and inexpensive. I wouldn't be too upset, sh*t happens, it's only plastic. You'll look showroom new in a few days.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I had a local hotrod custom upholstery shop repair the bottom seat foam in my Z06. Took them about an hour and a half to remove the seat(they covered the sill first to protect it) repair the foam and reinstall the seat. They added additional foam, carpet square under the foam to keep the springs from cutting into it, and placed strips of leather on the aluminum seat frame to prevent it from cutting into the foam. All for $95 with zero damage. Oh, and the shop owner has three corvettes and uses a C5 as his daily driver. Tons of car show trophies for his work.

I realize it's too late for you, but others might want to check into a local shop(that has great recommendations from the hot rod crowd) do the work instead of letting a Chevy dealer touch their car.
This really is an excellent idea because hot rod/street rod owners get the details thing. And shops that don't get it, don't get the business from street rod owners. That goes for paint and body shops, too.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:10 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
What I see is collateral damage. The trim pieces are easy to r&r, and inexpensive. I wouldn't be too upset, sh*t happens, it's only plastic. You'll look showroom new in a few days.
"Collateral damage" should not occur when a car is being serviced by a dealer. I experienced a couple similar situations in the past where the mechanics were sloppy. In both cases the service manager listened, acknowledged that they caused the problem, and corrected it. Unfortunately, this level of customer service has not happened for the OP, hence the thread...
Old 10-31-2014, 06:14 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan5508
Went in to talk to a GM or owner of the dealership and ended up with the same service manager that pissed me off in the first place.

While he completely 100% will not admit they caused the damage or the shop they sent it to did it. They are at least going to fix it.

He basically kept stating that people do this all the time to their cars and try to make him pay for it. I asked how would it even be possible for a seat belt to do this and he would only say "I'm not a engineer". Apparently it takes a college education to make a simple observation. Went on to bitch about recalls and how they are working long hours.... Also denied he ever said they didn't take the seat out after giving him info from here.

I am glad I just went home weds and waited to come back but I still feel extremely annoyed with the experience. Everyone at that dealer is excellent. This was the worst person I have ever dealt with at a dealership. how he is head of the service department with extremely poor customer service is beyond me.

This is why sometimes its just easier to own a car outside of the factory warranty and have more choice.

Thanks to everyone here that took the time to reply to my issues. I appreciate it!
Good, or bad, customer service starts at the top and filters its way down. Based your feeling that everyone else at the dealer is excellent, it's surprising the service manager is so bad. It would be really good if you could raise this issue with someone above him before he infects the people below him.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:07 AM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

God I hope they send you a customer service survey. Thats what hurts them the most. They let someone go here this week because he showed up negatively on a CSS.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:54 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Talk to the General Manager or owner of the dealership and call Chevrolet corporate. They're trying to get out of paying for damage they caused. Likely since they outsourced it, it makes it hard for them to bet reimbursed because likely it was their subs that caused the damage.
I agree. The stupidity of these dealers never ceases to amaze me.
$.25 worth of HD masking tape would have prevented this problem.
Don't stop until you get satisfaction
Old 10-31-2014, 09:19 AM
Stephen Fiorino
Intermediate

If this dealer does not repair to your satisfaction, get the name of the person who is in the district. I had a Mercedes years ago anf the work that needed to be done was out of warranty. But is was unusual for the AC to go and it would not shut off and sometimes blew very hot Air in the AC setting. They told me it was all my cost. After asking to meet with the Regional person, they paid for the parts and I for the labor. I had to show them all my service invoices showing them I always had my car service there. I saved $1300 just by not standing for it being out of warranty.
In your case, what Vette owner would, if there was scratches on the door jams leave it like that? No one. Push them to fix it.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
JShocik
Intermediate

The next time you go to this dealership, insist to talk to the original service advisor you dealt with the first time, & do tell the service manager you don't trust him. If the original SA has a conscience, he'll own up to the facts.

Also, when paying, pay by check. If there is any issue whatsoever, you can stop payment on the check, tell the dealership about this, then wait & see how fast they want to take care of the issue once they find out they're NOT getting paid to mess up your car. Trust me, this works (at least for me).
Old 10-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

I am just waiting on parts they say they are replacing. Figure it will be 2 weeks based off the previous 2 days for parts wait.

Hopefully they just fix it right so I can put the car in storage and be happy about it. Since it started randomly snowing here today. At least its not sticking yet.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Originally Posted by JShocik
The next time you go to this dealership, insist to talk to the original service advisor you dealt with the first time, & do tell the service manager you don't trust him. If the original SA has a conscience, he'll own up to the facts.

Also, when paying, pay by check. If there is any issue whatsoever, you can stop payment on the check, tell the dealership about this, then wait & see how fast they want to take care of the issue once they find out they're NOT getting paid to mess up your car. Trust me, this works (at least for me).
They should be covering it. I had it figured to be around $250 in trim pieces for myself to replace if need be. I already have touch up paint but suck at using it correctly.

The funny part is at one point he said he didn't know how much it would cost to replace anything but if it was over $1000 he would not do it. Makes you wonder what they pull on other people everyday.

Get notified of new replies

To Infuriated with Dealer service department - need advice?

Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Originally Posted by 360Rocket
God I hope they send you a customer service survey. Thats what hurts them the most. They let someone go here this week because he showed up negatively on a CSS.

Yeah so do I. But from what I heard from others is the owner there is also quite a "people person". They said I was probably lucky I didn't have to talk to him in the end.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:43 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

As a former Chrysler dealership employee, I completely agree with filling out the Customer Satisfaction Surveys. Be sure to do so, be brutally honest, if you have praise for a particular employee...please try to name them by name. On the flip side, if you have a complaint, try to name names then as well. Some owners don't spend a lot of time actually at the dealership and don't really know who the crappy employees are. The good ones need promotions and raises, the bad ones need to go and quit giving the rest a bad rap. The surveys DO MATTER, I know it's kinda of a pain to spend 15 minutes answering a bunch of questions, but try to look at it as doing your part to make the dealership better and the next customers experience a more pleasant one.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:51 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

Be brutally honest with the service manager...tell him he's part of the problem. Ask him to show you how a seat belt latch can make a scratch like the ones you now have. I've seen your pictures & know the size of the latch. I can't figure out how a thick, dull, beveled latch can make a thin, sharp scratch in plastic? As soon as he caves on the scratches ( he has to, there is no way the belt latch caused them), you've got him in a lie...don't be afraid to let him know. This guy is NOT your friend, don't be concerned about offending him. He's not concerned about you or your car's damage.

Quick Reply: Infuriated with Dealer service department - need advice?