C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 recall on low beam headlight problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:06 PM
trying2seek
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still not fixed on my 07 and dealer has no time frame for repair. Really GM can't fix it??? What is it going to take to get GM off their *** and fix the 100,000+ corvettes that need fixed?

Maybe a class action lawsuit brought on by 100,000 Corvette owners would get them in gear..
Old 11-11-2014, 03:30 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by trying2seek
Still not fixed on my 07 and dealer has no time frame for repair. Really GM can't fix it??? What is it going to take to get GM off their *** and fix the 100,000+ corvettes that need fixed?

Maybe a class action lawsuit brought on by 100,000 Corvette owners would get them in gear..
What GM should do is replace all the fuseboxes that have already failed with existing stock at no charge. That will get the folks whose headlights don't work back on the road in the meantime.

It's not like GM isn't on the hook to replace their fuseboxes eventually anyway, and it's not like GM can do anything with the old-design fuseboxes except throw them away. The actual labor is trivial. A fusebox can be replaced in five minutes.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
What GM should do is replace all the fuseboxes...
And if there is no change in the design... But to change the design is VERY expensive especially if done in less than a year or so. I don't even think it could get through the approval process in a year, let alone manufacture them. You can't start building them until you get the last signature on the approval paperwork. Far easier and quicker to fix the existing boxes. But that requires a kit of parts because you don't want to just issue instructions to the "Corvette Tech" who was bagging groceries last week to "go to Radio Shack and get some #22 wire and..."

But there is a simple "baling wire" fix that has been done in a matter of minutes to the few hundred cars that have actually had the issue. And since it only affects the low beam headlights and not the high beam or fog lights, no one is going to be stuck on a dark country road unless they don't know how to manually turn lights on because they never read the owner's manual. Oh, wait... Never mind.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I entered my VIN # and I have the same recall for a 2012 and still no letter.

https://recalls.gm.com/#/

CORVETTE LOW-BEAM HEADLAMPS INOPERATIVE
Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 AM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Had mine done at my Chevy dealer took 40 minutes (UBLC) housing, better safe than sorry!!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 AM
fred D
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Recall

Originally Posted by Jimmy52
Contacted Chevrolet dealer little over 1.5 months ago. They were clueless as to how they were going handle it. Said to wait for a letter and when parts would come in. Fat chance of that happening. They seemed more concerned who was going to pay them GM or me when the time comes. absolute idiots... I don't think I'll be contacted since I am the 2nd owner of my C6. Letter probably went to original purchaser.
Jimmy, I'm at least the second owner of my 08 vert. Not only got the letter, but it only took a few days to get the parts and do the work. Very happy with that one..Vette has 64XXX miles.

Last edited by fred D; 10-22-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Add Info.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

You guys revived a 1 year old thread, many people have had this recall since then.

DJ
Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Note to self: Revive this thread in 10 years and watch the panic that ensues by people who don't look at when messages are posted.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:49 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Note to self: Revive this thread in 10 years and watch the panic that ensues by people who don't look at when messages are posted.

FWIW, I only just had mine done. I had mine fail years ago, and I was one of the first to receive a letter.

If some people still haven't gotten letters, I bet there are a lot of owners who aren't aware that their cars are under a recall. Ten years from now, those same cars still won't have the fix performed, but chances are, the cars will have had the low beams fail, or they never will by then.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:05 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Better to search and revive an old thread than start a new thread without searching. Seems to be still a problem as I have not been notified.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:30 PM
ed.john
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rckt
Better to search and revive an old thread than start a new thread without searching. Seems to be still a problem as I have not been notified.
Had headlight recall work done yesterday along with state inspection. Tech. made sure that the windows would index and all is well.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

I actually had it done Tuesday, just had to index my windows and set my clock.

Back when I was a tech, I wouldn't let that slide, but there could be worse things.

DJ
Old 10-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Kontra06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is the same recall... I had mine done last Spring. Dropped
the car off at the dealer and they had it for a few hours. I got a panicky call
when it began to sprinkle. They couldn't figure out how to get the top to go up!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Crzyjarmans
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my 05 done two weeks ago, and now my headlights flicker, just called the dealership and have to drop it back off, hope they don't try and say it's a entire different issue
Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Crzyjarmans
Got my 05 done two weeks ago, and now my headlights flicker, just called the dealership and have to drop it back off, hope they don't try and say it's a entire different issue
This is exactly why I'm afraid to have this recall done on my car...Instead of fixing the problem they will just make new ones..Mines working now so I may just leave it alone until it breaks.......WW
Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 PM
zras01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drove into the dealership in Lufkin Texas the other day about another matter and they asked me if I wanted it done. If I had time, they had the time to do it and they did. About 40 minutes, beginning to end. They are not replacing a fuse box or anything like that. They showed me a TSB from GM on how the work was to be performed and it involved a jumper wire.

I have heard all kinds of things here on what they were going to do but the GM papers they presented me involved a jumper wire and that was it. I probably would have not messed with it under other circumstances but the timing was right so I got it done. It will make "OnStar" happy. They kept sending me these notices of "Recall".
Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Midiwiz
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

mine is done already. but just got the one for the cable under the seat....

Quick Reply: C6 recall on low beam headlight problem!