C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with all the Challenger threats? please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:11 PM
chillwill
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I had SRT8 Challenger try me one morning going to work big mistake he want do it again ls3 power all the way
Old 10-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Freak3150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
But with Chevy, I well remember the Camaro's at the time, and the new Camaro's, at least in my opinion, don't look anything like those back in the late 60's, early 70's. Maybe they aren't supposed to.
They aren't. While there is definetly a resemblance, Chevy clearly stated the Camaro, while having some retro influence and features (the gills in front of the rear tires for example are lifted directly from the '69), was not intended to be a retro car.
One of the main design influences was the F-22 Raptor fighter jet. And I'm sure you've heard people, usually as an insult, say the front end looks like an owl (which I can totally see). Guess what? The guy who designed it would be thrilled to hear that, since his intention was to make it look like a bird of prey.

The basic thinking was: "If we do a retro Camaro modeled after the first gen, where do we go from there when a new generation comes out? Do we do a retro second gen?"
Old 10-26-2014, 10:26 PM
INTJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freak3150
They aren't. While there is definetly a resemblance, Chevy clearly stated the Camaro, while having some retro influence and features (the gills in front of the rear tires for example are lifted directly from the '69), was not intended to be a retro car.
One of the main design influences was the F-22 Raptor fighter jet. And I'm sure you've heard people, usually as an insult, say the front end looks like an owl (which I can totally see). Guess what? The guy who designed it would be thrilled to hear that, since his intention was to make it look like a bird of prey.

The basic thinking was: "If we do a retro Camaro modeled after the first gen, where do we go from there when a new generation comes out? Do we do a retro second gen?"
Looks a LOT more like a 69 Camaro than an F-22 to me..................

Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by INTJ
My DD is a 2011 Duramax with a 500 RWHP+ tune. Trucks with my tune routinely run high 12s in the 1/4 mile. It is very easy to tune HP in these trucks, and when guys get serious with their mods (say 700-800+ HP) it is no big deal to spank a stock C-6 in the 1/4 mile.

Now I don't challenge anyone, though I will wait for no one--most people pay no attention to the flow of traffic.
No doubt. I just sold my 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona that had plenty of HP but in order for it to matter the guy in the ride next to you has to care and anymore I don't.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 AM
Freak3150
Instructor

Looks a LOT more like a 69 Camaro than an F-22 to me..................
Not sure if you're just making a joke or not, but the point was, unlike the Mustang and Challenger, they weren't intending to build a true retro Camaro. The phrase used to describe it to me at the unveiling was "A futuristic design with retro cues", and the F22 was directly referenced as inspiration at the same event (as well as in later interviews).
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crox
I had a black Challenger jump on me on an interstate and I did not bite. Good thing. As he sped under the bridge about 70 yards in front of me, a State Trooper was waiting. 300 yards later, that Challenger driver was getting a ticket. Close one there. Thought about hitting the horn as I went by, but did not want any attention. I know he saw me drive right on by him.
I was told by a Trooper a while back that if you hit the horn while driving by somebody getting stopped, the officer gets the impression that you're stating "Ha! you got caught!" or "Good job officer".

Then all of the sob stories go out the door and the ticket is absolutely getting written.

Chuck M
Old 10-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 893 Likes on 378 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

I'm never sitting still long enough to be challenged.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:42 PM
INTJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Freak3150
Not sure if you're just making a joke or not, but the point was, unlike the Mustang and Challenger, they weren't intending to build a true retro Camaro. The phrase used to describe it to me at the unveiling was "A futuristic design with retro cues", and the F22 was directly referenced as inspiration at the same event (as well as in later interviews).

Yes, I am funnin' a big. However, I definitely do see the design influence of the 67-69 Camaro, and I see nothing that reminds me of an F-22.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:19 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 885 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by CheckSix
Great looking T/A!

Here was my E-Body.... 383 Magnum 4spd car.
Great to know that there are some old time Mopar guys around. My first new car was a 70 440 Cuda.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

I haven't seriously been raced. I've had 15 year old Accords try to goad me into taking off, but there's no way they're trying to actually race. I'm not sure if it has to do with what I drive ('09 ZR1) so people don't try, or if I am just not aware of it. the few times (and I mean very few) someone has said something or revved up next to me I just ignored it. I have no interest in racing on the streets.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:35 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

My DD is a 2011 Duramax with a 500 RWHP+ tune. Trucks with my tune routinely run high 12s in the 1/4 mile. It is very easy to tune HP in these trucks, and when guys get serious with their mods (say 700-800+ HP) it is no big deal to spank a stock C-6 in the 1/4 mile.

Now I don't challenge anyone, though I will wait for no one--most people pay no attention to the flow of traffic.
Lol, OK. I haven't seen one truck run a 12.XX without HEAVY modification or one with the SRT logo affixed to the back.

Gimme a break. Trucks with exhaust drive me crazy, YOU ARE NOT A SPORTS CAR!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsVette04

LOL Rob, especially the ones with those ridiculous '18 wheeler' style exhaust coming up from behind the cab, talk about stupid looking …...
Old 10-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver
Mr. Entaille, the fellow with the C6 Grand Sport who started this thread didn't mention or even allude in any way to an assumption that Challenger owners "settled" for their cars because they couldn't afford to get behind the wheel of a C6 Grand Sport such as he has.

But just to follow up on your line of reasoning (and to give you a brief primer on car prices)...

A guy could by a brand new Challenger with a Hemi for several thousand dollars less than what it would cost him to buy a low mileage, late model C6 Grand Sport.

So yeah, to answer your question, it's quite possible that someone who bought a Challenger did "settle" for it because he couldn't afford a Grand Sport.

Regards,
-Ward
actually, he did. you must not have read his post, I found it rather embarrassing to read myself. I am surprised more people aren't slightly put off by it. here's the last line of the OP, if you missed it.

" If you could afford an LS3 Corvette, you would have bought one end of rant."

now, he didn't specify a GS, but he did specify LS3. I have seen higher mileage LS3 vettes in the mid 20s. I have seen lower mileage LS3 vettes in the low 30s. I have seen low mileage GS's in the upper 30s to lower 40s, all the way to the upper 40s. All of these price ranges are very well side by side new challenger costs - and other american muscle cars, for that matter.

now... car values aside - I find this whole idea of putting someone's car down based on value, or brand loyalty, or paper specs/magazine timeslip superiority rather offputting. the pretentious attitude of being high and mighty because your car cost more doesn't fly with me. I view myself as a true car enthusiast and I can appreciate a nice performance car at any price point.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM
DenverdansC6
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The basic thinking was: "If we do a retro Camaro modeled after the first gen, where do we go from there when a new generation comes out? Do we do a retro second gen?"[/QUOTE]

According to several of the car mags, that's exactly where the next gen Camaro will get it's design basis from. Supposedly not any smaller, but several hundred pounds lighter.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:38 PM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
LOL Rob, especially the ones with those ridiculous '18 wheeler' style exhaust coming up from behind the cab, talk about stupid looking …...
Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Guys,If you think a corvette will beat the new 707 HP Challenger...You better think again..
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Freak3150
Instructor

Yes, I am funnin' a big. However, I definitely do see the design influence of the 67-69 Camaro, and I see nothing that reminds me of an F-22.
Gotcha. I see the F22 influence in it, but it certainly doesn't dominate the design.

Get notified of new replies

To What's with all the Challenger threats? please chime in

Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Freak3150
Instructor

Originally Posted by DenverdansC6
According to several of the car mags, that's exactly where the next gen Camaro will get it's design basis from. Supposedly not any smaller, but several hundred pounds lighter.
Things may have changed from original thinking by now, that was 8 years and a bankruptcy/government intervention ago.

But on the day of the unveiling, that's what was being stated.

I tend not to believe a lot of what the car mags say about future products, at least this far out, because a lot is speculation, and also because things can change during development. So even if they have good info, it can change. I've seen that firsthand.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:32 PM
INTJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by RobsVette04
Lol, OK. I haven't seen one truck run a 12.XX without HEAVY modification or one with the SRT logo affixed to the back.

I am talking Duramax diesels. No need for a loud exhaust. The 2011 and later can make up to about 550 RWHP on just a tune with the stock Allison tranny. The earlier models needed a beefed tranny. It is easy to get a 12 sec daily driver in a DMax. To improve on that you do need those serious mods. And there are 11, 10, and even 9 sec Duramaxes out there. You probably can't tell when you pull up next to one at a stoplight.

I guess always being challenged is just a sign of the well understood superiority on a Corvette. I am rarely challenged in my truck, and I don't look for challenges. I all about getting from point A to point B in the most efficient manner possible without negatively impacting anyone else on the road. I was also never challenged in my 66 vette.

I expect when I do get my C6, I will get challenged--and I will ignore those challenges. My C6 will be about the Corvette mystique and taking road trips on nice days with my bride of 27 years. I have already flown supersonic jets--was even an instructor in them. I also had a 10 sec drag race car. I don't need to prove anything, and I find that is a common sentiment on this forum.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Toxicscream
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Guys,If you think a corvette will beat the new 707 HP Challenger...You better think again..
a corvette...kind of vague. I have "a corvette" and without a doubt know a obese challenger would not stand a chance.
I also did not say anything about being stock but you did say 707 HP challenger which would imply stock. You didn't say anything about the corvettes HP.
Apples to Oranges again.

Quick Reply: What's with all the Challenger threats? please chime in