C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our grandsport review so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:03 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Our grandsport review so far

We purchased our 13 gs back during the 1st week of September. It is a 4lt car and had 2500 miles on it. Today it has 3500 miles. Here is my thoughts on it so far as it's my first c6.

The car is just awesome. It has tons of power and is very comfy to drive. The seats are amazing. The interior is top notch with the 4lt. The bose system blows me away as well.

The car just grips like crazy around the corners. It gets looks just about everywhere I go. This is our 3rd vette and by far most popular I would say.

Some negatives..
The tires grip like crazy around the corners but from a stop it wheel hops really bad. The tires also are very loud.
The navigation is a nice feature, just wish it were easier to use.
The clutch makes some noise when the pedal is pushed in. Think it may be the throw out bearing. Been reading it's a common issue but for a 13 ( last of the model), I think it should have been taken care of by then.
The vette has a rough idle at first but after it's warmed up it is fine.

Overall the car is just an amazing machine. I just can't get over how comfy the car is. I could drive for hours be as comfy as I was when I first went out.m
Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congratulations on the GS.

The runflats are pretty noisy. Some folks are very happily switching to non-runflats.

I've driven my GS for many hours straight in comfort. Many complain about the seats, but I don't agree.

Enjoy!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 180 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase, you made a wise choice. I've had my 13 GS (purchased new) since May of 2013 and have the following comments on your notes:[LIST]
You will be purchasing tires in short order (I had to change the OEM Goodyears after 8,000 miles). Your choices are limited to Goodyear (bad), Michelin (great, but expensive), Bridgestone Potenza (great, a little less expensive than the Michelin's), Hankook (no runflat available) and Nitto Invo (again, no runflat available). All options are summer tires, so be careful in bad and cold weather.
The navigation is identical to the one in the 2005 C6 (first year). There have been significant technology upgrades since then that GM decided not to incorporate into its' nav system.

With all that, you've still got a great car. I was deciding between the GS and C7 and have never regretted my choice.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My '10 GS (bought new Feb '10) lacks about 200 miles having 50K on it. It's been a great car so far! If you've only got 3,500 miles on your car you'll probably be needing tires in about 6,000 more - my original set lasted a little over 9,000 miles and I never did any burnouts with average driving. I'm now on the 3rd set of tires - both replacement sets have been non-runflat. The difference in ride quality and interior noise was very noticeable for the better.

Good luck and congratulations!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Congrats and good luck!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:40 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Congratulations on the GS.

The runflats are pretty noisy. Some folks are very happily switching to non-runflats.

I've driven my GS for many hours straight in comfort. Many complain about the seats, but I don't agree.

Enjoy!
Not sure about the GS RF tires, but there are RF's brands other than GY made for base models that are not noisy at all. Tread patterns have a lot to do with the noise issues.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 AM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the tires with Michelin Super Sports transformed my GS- the F1s are REALLY bad tires. If I had it to do over and had the money, I would not have waited for the F1s to wear out.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new car
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. I will get some pics later today or tomorrow. Its been raining pretty good here.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:54 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

We bought our MZ6 GS convertible new in January. We have over 12,000 miles on it now and I can't pry myself out of the seat.

I have had several 10 hour driving days and not one complaint about the sport seats. I have not had any clutch noise. The rough idle at start up is something you get used to. The grip the tires have is a great asset for driving the twisties in Kings Canyon National Park and Yosemite on the west side of the country and Tail of the Dragon on the east side. Hope you enjoy your ride as much as we enjoy ours.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Slow-v6:
We purchased an '11 GS vert 3LT A6 in early Sept. Your observations on the car are consistent with our own, with the exception that we acquired ours w/ new Michelins installed (the Car had 11k miles and the OEM tires were already long gone). The car is comfortable and handles very nice with the Michelins. Apparently there is a large difference in the car's road manners once the GY's are gone, which causes us to wonder why they were used to begin with. We agree the nav system leaves some to be desired as does the blue tooth arrangement. This is our first Corvette and overall we are delighted with it so far. Have a road trip in the car planned for next week and looking forward to it.

We trudge on.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM
CheckSix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your recent purchase!

I got my '13 GS mn6 3LT back in June of '13. Since then, I've added the Halltech MF103 CAI, Bilstein B8's and JOC sway bars. I got a good 4 wheel alignment done based off of the Pfadt alignment recommendations.

I still have the original Goodyears, with 3600 miles on the clock now. What I find is, that if it's above 80*F out and the tires are up to operating temp, they actually stick pretty good. Being runflats, they are noisier. But they're not as horrible as some broadcast, imho. I'll eventually put Michelins on it but I'm not in a hurry.

The chassis upgrades really transform the handling potential in the design. The sacrifice is a less comfy ride.... but I didn't buy it for a "comfy" ride... I want to experience it's performance envelope. And by the way, no wheel hop here with the Bilsteins and JOC sway bars.

As far as the Nav, yes... it's not as intuitive as more modern designs but it does work well, once you learn how to use it. Not really an important item for me, as well as the Bluetooth feature.... I just don't care. I'll take vehicle performance function as a priority, every time!

The seats do lack lateral support under hard cornering and there really could be an improvement made there. But most who do not use the car in it's performance regime would probably complain otherwise that they are too difficult for every day use.

Overall, just an amazing performance bargain for the money. My only other Vette was a '64, over 40 years ago. The evolution from it, to my GS, is light years apart. If Zora was still around, I'm sure he would be impressed with this version of the Corvette.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

My Bridgestone RF's ended the "wheel hop" issue.

I use Onstar navigation instead of the car's navigation.

Rough idle when cold is normal.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Own the same car and so far the tires on mine have been fine and have 9,500 on them and they look like they are good for at least another 5,000

The stock Bose stereo? It absolutely sucks. The worse sounding audio system I've heard in any car in the last 15 years. The system in my son's Corolla sounds better. Nothing that Kenwood and DD's couldn't fix

Love the wide body look. Classiest model Corvette ever built. So far have made two long road trips in it and hope to make many more. 850 miles in a day is a breeze in this car.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 10-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Galveston3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have my first long trip planned with my 11 Grand Sport tomorrow about 900 miles round trip -- can't wait. Have had the car since Jun but haven't been more than 30 miles from home. Going with another grand sport, a C5, and a brand new C7 with less than 200 miles... should be a great ride. Will post pics. Oh, I have brand new Bridgestone POtenza's and I am less than thrill with the noise but I have nothing to compare against. Beau Rivage here we come!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe

The stock Bose stereo? It absolutely sucks. The worse sounding audio system I've heard in any car in the last 15 years.
It's not the Bose its your source material that sucks.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:33 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
It's not the Bose its your source material that sucks.
So a new radio unit significantly improves the sound of the existing Bose speakers? I wonder which brand is best.

Get notified of new replies

To Our grandsport review so far

Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Move Over
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't agree with you more about the GS comfort. I'm 6'3" (240) and I drove it from Dallas to Naples, FL earlier this year. On the way back I did the 1300 mile run in 17:45. Most comfortable ride I've ever had and i've done my fair share of long hauls before.

Would do it again in a heartbeat....just for better reasons.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 PM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

I guess not all the bose systems are on par with each other? I am blown away by the base and clarity of the stock bose system.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
So a new radio unit significantly improves the sound of the existing Bose speakers?
Just the opposite. The Bose head was designed to be a perfect match to the Bose speakers and amps that are in the '13 Corvettes. The built in EQ, slope, frequency and crossover settings that matches the head unit to the speakers are all designed to give maximum efficiency with no distortion. An aftermarket head unit disrupts that balance. That same head unit ( aftermarket ) in my opinion would make the sound better in a non bose car.

Quick Reply: Our grandsport review so far