C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Titan scissor lift opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Sevitz5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titan scissor lift opinion

I dont have room in my garage for a 2 or 4 post lift, so I was looking at this lift as an option:http://titanlifts.com/scissor/titan-...ift-48-ht.html

Have any of you used a lift similar to this? Opinions? Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 PM
arp35
Instructor

Check out a max jax lift. Over at www.garagejournal.com it is discussed. I've had mine for a few years and can't live without it. It fits in a standard garage and will lift the vette about 6 feet off the ground. Www.maxjaxusa.com

Last edited by arp35; 10-21-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 PM
c5firstimer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Try looking at......

.......www.ezcarlift.com. Much more versatile, lower ground height. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and use it inside, outside and on several vehicles. Pickup my C6 with ease. Great travel height for doing just about anything. High quality, made in USA. Look at the Corvette photos on the web site.

Just an option.

C5firstimer, now C6.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 PM
arp35
Instructor

Originally Posted by c5firstimer
.......www.ezcarlift.com. Much more versatile, lower ground height. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and use it inside, outside and on several vehicles. Pickup my C6 with ease. Great travel height for doing just about anything. High quality, made in USA. Look at the Corvette photos on the web site.

Just an option.

C5firstimer, now C6.
Wow that thing is expensive and you still have room use your electric drill to raise and lower it lol.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Sevitz5
Instructor

I was hoping to stay under $1500. It will see minimal use....just getting too old to crawl around under my car. Who else has some ideas.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 PM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older Snap~On Scissor lift that was given to me by a friend who owns a shop. I too lack the ceiling height to put in a full size lift. The scissor lift works great on my 06 vert for basic work, wheels , brakes, oil changes, brakes, etc. Your limited to the center of the car due to the configuration of the lift, but for the average Joe who likes to tinker its a great alternative.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Sevitz5
Instructor

how was the stability once you get the car in the air?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 PM
macadoo
Advanced

I have a kwiklift that works for me. kwiklift.com

Jim
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 AM
pahlbfishn
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macadoo
I have a kwiklift that works for me. kwiklift.com Jim
I also have a Kwiklift. Park vette on it all the time. Wouldn't be without it.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a Bend Pac with my Porsche 911. I was using jack stands and floor jacks to raise the car and do the work it takes to remove the engine and paint the car. I rationalized it thus. "One of these days I am going to be tired and ignore basic safety and the damn car is going fall on me. What is the cost of a broken leg?" After that the purchase decision was easy and so was the explanation to the banker in the house. Moved to a retirement community and had to give up the DIY stuff. Buy the best one you can afford but check the clearance or you will need boards for it to clear the undersides of the car. Balance was never a problem. Note Porsche engines come out of the bottom at the rear. If you are going to drop a Corvette engine you may need to turn it around. That is where the portability comes in very handy. Go for it, remember these things are heavy. You may need to borrow a chain hoist to get it off the delivery truck or PU if they don't drop ship.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Charlie in TX
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtee
I had a Bend Pac with my Porsche 911. I was using jack stands and floor jacks to raise the car and do the work it takes to remove the engine and paint the car. I rationalized it thus. "One of these days I am going to be tired and ignore basic safety and the damn car is going fall on me. What is the cost of a broken leg?" After that the purchase decision was easy and so was the explanation to the banker in the house. Moved to a retirement community and had to give up the DIY stuff. Buy the best one you can afford but check the clearance or you will need boards for it to clear the undersides of the car. Balance was never a problem. Note Porsche engines come out of the bottom at the rear. If you are going to drop a Corvette engine you may need to turn it around. That is where the portability comes in very handy. Go for it, remember these things are heavy. You may need to borrow a chain hoist to get it off the delivery truck or PU if they don't drop ship.
Are you using the BL-3500/5000 or other? I like the looks of this series.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sevitz5
how was the stability once you get the car in the air?
Very stable, no issue at all.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,003 Likes on 5,370 Posts

I used an Eagle 6K lb scissors lift for 9 years. It worked great. I was able to change all of the fluids in the car, change brakes, do wheel alignments, repair anything on the corners of the car. I couldn't do any work that required pulling the exhaust or the tunnel plate since I couldn't reach them. Overall it was a great lift. Last fall I moved to Charlotte and purchased a MaxJax lift. I can do everything I could do with the scissors lift and since the bottom of the car is open I can do exhaust work or drop the drive train. However, it takes up a lot more room in the garage. I have side skirts on the car and set the posts 130 inches apart to get the lift arms far enough out so they would fit under the side skirts when the car is raised. The scissors lift required running the Vette on stacked 2x8s so I could get my hand between the lift and the car so I could move the lift pads into position. However, I have to run the car up on blocks when I use the MaxJax since a Vette sitting at stock ride height is a few fractions of an inch too low to fit over the lift arms.

Which way would I go if I could start over? Probably with the Scissors Lift. I don't have to store a scissors lift to use the other side of the garage for my other car. In fact I can have the Vette lifted on it with a car parked next to it. The other thing I don't have to worry about the lift mounting anchors. Of the 10 anchors provided 4 of them had to be pounded through the garage floor and replaced with improved anchors from Danmar. Not sure why they didn't provide those to begin with. There are 3 more anchors that are questionable. On the other side the scissors lift places a lot of psi on the concrete. The total area supporting the lift and the car are two steel wheels in the rear and one long cylinder in the front. The number of square inches may actually be less than one. If you have a 6000 lb vehicle on a 900 lb lift you have over 6900 psi so the concrete tends to spall after the lift wheels run back and forth across it. My old garage floor had two streaks in it where the upper surface of the concrete had changed after 9 years of use.

My recommendation is a scissors lift if you don't plan on doing exhaust work (mufflers aren't a problem) or remove the drivetrain. If you plan on dropping the exhaust and drivetrain then you want the Maxjax if you have the garage width required and the storage space for the two posts and the 4 lift arms when you aren't using the lift.

Bill
Old 10-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Sevitz5
Instructor

Thanks for the reply Bill, I appreciare all the information.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 AM
PacificaVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been considering one of these as an option:

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/

It won't take up much storage space and is portable---good features to have.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Sevitz5
Instructor

Originally Posted by PacificaVette
I've been considering one of these as an option:

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/

It won't take up much storage space and is portable---good features to have.
Thosr are nice, but pretty much the same cost as a lift that will lift much higher.

Get notified of new replies

To Titan scissor lift opinion

Quick Reply: Titan scissor lift opinion