C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Z51 or not?

Okay, I'm shopping for an '08 and up C6 coupe. Ideally, I'd like a car with the M6 trans, but they are scarce around Phoenix. I have found a half dozen A6 equipped candidates, and I need some advice on how important/valuable the Z51 option is. I know drilled rotors aren't necessarily the hot setup, but I plan to drive the car like a sports car, and there will be the occasional track day.
If I buy a non-Z51 car, am I going to end up upgrading the brakes and suspension anyway?

Thanks in advance,

Garry
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
Okay, I'm shopping for an '08 and up C6 coupe. Ideally, I'd like a car with the M6 trans, but they are scarce around Phoenix. I have found a half dozen A6 equipped candidates, and I need some advice on how important/valuable the Z51 option is. I know drilled rotors aren't necessarily the hot setup, but I plan to drive the car like a sports car, and there will be the occasional track day.
If I buy a non-Z51 car, am I going to end up upgrading the brakes and suspension anyway?

Thanks in advance,

Garry
Holding out for a Z51 makes the search even harder. If you don't track the car its more of a status thing. I did upgrade the sways on my non-z51 08 3LT to Z51 sways since I wanted to replace the endlinks (one had a rattle), a couple hundred bucks and 2 hours work and the handling improved with no change in ride (which feels fine to me). Could make the ride even firmer with Z06 or Bilstein shocks.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! I have a couple more questions...
Is there some data somewhere that shows the difference in performance in the C6 Z51 brakes versus the standard setup?
Also, should I assume the Z51 cars ride is closer to a Z06's? I have a buddy with an 06 Z06, and to say it's firm is an understatement.
I was hoping the Z51 was sort of a good compromise between the two. Is that an accurate statement, or is a Z51 car nearly as firm riding as a Z06?

Thanks again, I appreciate the wisdom and experience gathered here.

Garry

Last edited by Garry in AZ; 10-14-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I had an '09 coupe w/Z51, NPP exhaust, A6 & 2LT. It rode just fine and was nicely/smartly equipped.
I also think the aluminum-framed car w/Z06 suspension is a bit firmer than the steel-framed car w/Z51 suspension.

(I drove the GS, Z06 & ZR1 at Spring Mtn for three days three yrs ago)
Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I have an 08 Z51 manual, I've never driven a non Z51 but my car is not a harsh ride at all. I got rid of the runflat tires and the ride improved a lot more. You will appreciate the brakes, stiffer suspension and gearing the Z51 offers when you're on the track. Keep in mind a lot of owners on this forum who say the Z51 ride is harsh may be older and have back or other health problems. I don't mean to be mean, but if you're in good physical shape the ride quality of the Z51 is fine. If you're going to drive it like it should be driven and take it to the track it's worth holding out for the Z51. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

especially with the tire improvement.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Unless you're a hard core tracker and really take the car to it's limits I don't think you'd have a need to upgrade your Z51 suspension to a more aggressive setup.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^...and even with occasional track use, upgraded after-market brake pads will likely be all that is necessary
(once the brake pads on the car need to be replaced).
Old 10-15-2014, 12:51 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
^...and even with occasional track use, upgraded after-market brake pads will likely be all that is necessary
(once the brake pads on the car need to be replaced).
Remember, the C6 is not a civic...it was made for the track! You don't have to do anything to it to have serious fun on the track.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Assuming the track you plan on running is WHP, the base would be a better choice as long as you use Z51 sways, better shocks, and some more aggressive pads.
A F55 car would work well too. The more important item is tires.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Assuming the track you plan on running is WHP, the base would be a better choice as long as you use Z51 sways, better shocks, and some more aggressive pads.
A F55 car would work well too. The more important item is tires.
Is the base really a better choice if you have to add Z51 sways, better shocks and more aggressive pads?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
Is the base really a better choice if you have to add Z51 sways, better shocks and more aggressive pads?
Yes. WHP track is not real conducive to the Z51 M6 gear ratios. They work well for the short parking lot autocross events, but not so well on longer tracks. The base trans ratios are a better choice. The shock and pad upgrades will be needed for either car, so the sway bar upgrade is a lot cheaper and easier than a trans swap.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:32 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

You should consider broadening your search geographically, rather than limiting your choices to only local cars, especially if its going to mean getting the manual transmission that you desire.

Personally, I like the firmer ride of the Z51 and I'd rather just get the factory option. If you don't mind modding your car, you can pick up a non-Z51 and upgrade brakes, shocks and sways and dial in what you like, even add coolers. In fact it seems most people cant resist modding their Vettes. But you can't easily swap in a manual trans, and I'd hate to be without one.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found going to track days is a slippery slope! Started in 92 with a stock 91 Vette. Then got a 96 LT4. Did a bunch of engine, suspension work and started using race tires. My present track car is an 04 ZO6 with 404 RWHP, race seat, 5 pt harness, larger sway bars, polyurethane bushings thruout, Vararam, larger throttle body, custom tune, headers, x-pipe, short throw shifter, Accusump, Front calipers placed on rear brakes, braided hoses, race brake pads, cooling ducts direct to calipers, 18 inch CCW rims at all 4 corners, oil cooler, race tires, front A arms for more neg camber, lowered, corner weighted,race alignment, rear spoiler. I also use the base car transmission. I'm just saying A stock C6 will be pretty stout, but there is always another thing to do to your Vette. I recommend attending driving schools first to go faster and enjoy driving your Vette on track,before upgrading anything on car! Also, you can't really drive a Vette on the street like you can on a track! I have instructed for several track schools. My present street car is 09 C6 Z51. It's stock.

Last edited by jackcasual; 10-15-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM
blizz81
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A portion of my interest in Z51 was for the extra cooling, but one thing I saw after searching around a bit is that with hot track days, people still frequently see high enough oil temps to switch and / or switch to an upgraded radiator with an IOC and / or upgrade both their radiator and oil cooler anyways. Just something to keep in mind, maybe not an issue if you only hit the track a couple times (but it does look like you're in hot AZ).
Old 10-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Originally Posted by jackcasual
I recommend attending driving schools first to go faster and enjoy driving your Vette on track,before upgrading anything on car! Also, you can't really drive a Vette on the street like you can on a track! I have instructed for several track schools. My present street car is 09 C6 Z51. It's stock.
Thanks to everyone for the sage advice and words of wisdom. I am expanding my search for the right car, and I'm trying to be patient until I find the one I want. I have some mechanical skills and a reasonably well equipped shop, so regardless of the factory equipment, eventually modifying the car to make it what I want is in my long term plan.

Agreed on the driving schools comment. I'm a multi-time Bondurant graduate, most recently from the 4 day Grand Prix class where you earn SCCA licensing ability. I love driving those Formula Mazda open wheelers! In days gone by I also competed in SCCA Solo 1 autocrossing.

Thanks again to everyone. Your input and advice is much appreciated!

Garry
Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Yes. WHP track is not real conducive to the Z51 M6 gear ratios. They work well for the short parking lot autocross events, but not so well on longer tracks. The base trans ratios are a better choice. The shock and pad upgrades will be needed for either car, so the sway bar upgrade is a lot cheaper and easier than a trans swap.
Well the gears felt fine to me at Auto Club Speedway, but I'm not a super hardcore track guy. It wouldn't be worth it to me to swap all those parts. Carry on

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or not?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to pick an entry point somewhere. Obviously the z06 would be a better entry point, zr1 better again..........

Given the fact that you track (road) the car and there is little or no difference in price of comparable cars why would you not get the z51? Ratios, coolers, shocks, springs, sways, brakes!

The manual will always be more suited to this work and lower ratios are always better, you might stir the pot more but that's what it's about. If you want to change gears less get an auto!

Looking at your history you will soon outgrow even the z51, especially the brakes. Personally, my advise would be get the best prepped car the budget allows. Don't underestimate the importance of the extra coolers, especially down this way.

They built tens of thousands of these a year and you're entering a really good buying window at this time of year.

Get a manual, get the z51. Anything else I think you'll regret.

Cheers
LA
Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Legal Alien
You have to pick an entry point somewhere. Obviously the z06 would be a better entry point, zr1 better again..........

Given the fact that you track (road) the car and there is little or no difference in price of comparable cars why would you not get the z51? Ratios, coolers, shocks, springs, sways, brakes!

The manual will always be more suited to this work and lower ratios are always better, you might stir the pot more but that's what it's about. If you want to change gears less get an auto!

Looking at your history you will soon outgrow even the z51, especially the brakes. Personally, my advise would be get the best prepped car the budget allows. Don't underestimate the importance of the extra coolers, especially down this way.

They built tens of thousands of these a year and you're entering a really good buying window at this time of year.

Get a manual, get the z51. Anything else I think you'll regret.

Cheers
LA
^^^ That's what I'm talking about ^^^
Old 10-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I love my Z51 model, but I think a Corvette should ride firm and corner flat. Maybe you could drive a few different cars and buy what you like.

Quick Reply: Z51 or not?