C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winterizing the fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Lifeforce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterizing the fuel

Hi folks. Got a 2012 Grand Sport, and I am getting ready to put it away for the winter. (MOntana). Does anyone have an opinion on a good fuel preservative. I don't care what it costs. I had to replace a fuel pump on this new car, and I do not want to do it again. I have heard that SEAFOAM is very good. Any ideas? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. t.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

No need to go through all that. If you can, run a tank of non-Ethanol with some remaining, perhaps half a tank. If not, get some Stabil. Where in Montana?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

Fill your tank and add a bottle of Stabil or Seafoam at the station. Then drive it for about 15 minutes before you put her away to get the Stabil / Seafoam through the system. Both are good. Don't start your car again till you're ready to drive her for the next season or you'll end up with moisture in your lines which can cause problems.

Last edited by USA1 427; 10-13-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I use Stabil in all engines that might sit for a while. The most important thing with a C6 is to keep a full tank of gas. The level sensor in the right tank can corrode if it is dry because you have less than half a tank on the gauge. The fuel pump is in the left tank and always under fuel so that should never be an issue with these cars. Ethanol will absorb some water so stay away from that if possible.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Add Sta-bil fill tank. Drive a couple miles to get into fuel lines. Park car and clean it inside and out,add 5lbs. Air to tires, connect battery tender and cover it. See you in the spring.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 AM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Thats what I have been doing the past 4 years with no issues
Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Add Sta-bil fill tank. Drive a couple miles to get into fuel lines. Park car and clean it inside and out,add 5lbs. Air to tires, connect battery tender and cover it. See you in the spring.
Why use a battery tender for that long (6 months) a time?
Why not fully charge and remove the battery?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by COCO RICK
Just disconnect the negative cable.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Because that's the way I do it. Nothing to do but start it up in spring and drive.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Because it will slowly discharge over the winter even if disconnected, and cold temperatures make it worse.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 AM
duanepillar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Because that's the way I do it. Nothing to do but start it up in spring and drive.

I also toss some dryer sheets in the car. I am told they help keep mice out and they smell good.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:53 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Bruze
Because it will slowly discharge over the winter even if disconnected, and cold temperatures make it worse.
Also, some newer maintainers keep the battery from sulfating which eventually kills a battery. A slowly discharging batt. will sulfate.

Here's a layman's explanation:

"To keep sulfation from occurring, a battery need only be maintained in a fully charged state. For those vehicles and crafts used on a daily or semi-daily basis, this isn’t a problem. However, pleasure boats, personal aircraft, recreational vehicles, off-road vehicles, and motorcycles that are used occasionally will develop battery sulfation, barring preventative measures.

To slow this process, some people disconnect the battery from the vehicle when not in use, but sulfation and self-discharge still occur. A better, more convenient and effective solution is to use a device called a battery conditioner. A battery conditioner will keep the battery fully charged between uses, without overcharging it. Battery Minder and Battery Tender are examples of two such products, designed specifically to prevent sulfation and extend battery life by as much as several years."

fr. here: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-sul...-a-battery.htm
Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
Also, some newer maintainers keep the battery from sulfating which eventually kills a battery. A slowly discharging batt. will sulfate.

Here's a layman's explanation:

"To keep sulfation from occurring, a battery need only be maintained in a fully charged state. For those vehicles and crafts used on a daily or semi-daily basis, this isn’t a problem. However, pleasure boats, personal aircraft, recreational vehicles, off-road vehicles, and motorcycles that are used occasionally will develop battery sulfation, barring preventative measures.

To slow this process, some people disconnect the battery from the vehicle when not in use, but sulfation and self-discharge still occur. A better, more convenient and effective solution is to use a device called a battery conditioner. A battery conditioner will keep the battery fully charged between uses, without overcharging it. Battery Minder and Battery Tender are examples of two such products, designed specifically to prevent sulfation and extend battery life by as much as several years."

fr. here: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-sul...-a-battery.htm

My Harley sat for two years in an unheated area, with a battery tender, and the battery was fine when I finally started it up.

@duanepillar: I've read that before about the dryer sheets, but DOES IT REALLY WORK? This is going to be a big concern of mine, living in the woods despite having two killer cats.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:14 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know about the dryer sheets (the smellier the better, as it was first written ). I will say that I used to have a "drafty" garage door. So, I took four of those "aromatic" sheets, stuffed them in my tailpipes on a string to pull them out, and put a big note on the car cover "Remove Dryer Sheets."
Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

I don't know about the dryer sheets (the smellier the better, as it was first written ). I will say that I used to have a "drafty" garage door. So, I took four of those "aromatic" sheets, stuffed them in my tailpipes on a string to pull them out, and put a big note on the car cover "Remove Dryer Sheets."
I'm more worried about the little bastards chewing on wiring etc. I know a couple whose fairly-new truck's wiring harness was destroyed by rodents right in their driveway in a few days.

I think I will put steel wool in the exhaust.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

To keep mice out of your exhaust?
I gotta say two things: I would think the soot would keep them out; what are they gonna do up there anyway?
Also, won't the dryer sheets loose their scent well before spring?
Just askin...
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Stabilizer is simply a waste of money. Can any of you post independent data showing it does anything? A long time ago I did try Stabil in one of my ATV's and in the spring noticed a red, powdery residue in the bottom of the gas tank. Never again.

Mice in the exhaust? What are they going to do, crawl up the pipes and eat the catalytic converters?

Get notified of new replies

To winterizing the fuel

Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

You can always put tennis ***** in your exhaust pipes to keep critters out. I don't, but I do make sure the cover is down tight over the pipes. I had mice get into the motor of my Monte Carlo a couple years back and put the Bounce sheets in the following year. Worked great. Now I do it every year with the Vette. 3 in the motor, one or two inside, and a few under the car that I replace once a month.
My buddy owns a storage garage for his own cars and he's been doing that for YEARS (believe me.......he has mice) and he's the one who told me about the dryer sheets. He only uses Bounce and said since he started using them he's had no issues with the critters in the motor or anywhere the sheets are.
As for the Stabil, it's what I use with no issues, but you can use Seafoam or another stabilizer. Unfortunately, I don't live where they sell non ethanol gas. It all has ethanol here.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Any of you guys ever use those gigantic Ziplock bags that you put your car into?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bruze
Any of you guys ever use those gigantic Ziplock bags that you put your car into?
I've seen those Micheal Jackson bubbles. Lol

Quick Reply: winterizing the fuel