C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Corvette GS is now a "Low Emission" vehicle!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist
Default 2013 Corvette GS is now a "Low Emission" vehicle!

On a 500 mile road trip between South Florida, and Dothan, Alabama, I stopped at the Fort Drum Service Area, on the Florida Turnpike.

I was shocked at what I saw!

The first 3 or 4 parking spaces were dedicated to "Low Emission, Fuel Efficient", vehicles.
After that were a number of dedicated "Handicapped" parking spaces.

Have we become so politically correct, that a person who owns a Prius, is more deserving of a parking spot closer to the building than a disabled war veteran, or an elderly person with a walker?

I parked my 'vette in the very first spot, and took these cell phone photos through the windshield.
I don't know if it's a legal violation or not, but I didn't care.

When I returned, as I was opening my door, a woman walking by asked if the Corvette was now considered a "Green", vehicle?

I said,..."yes ma'am, yes it is",... got in a drove away.

We live in an upside down world!

Old 10-05-2014, 08:11 AM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Hameister;1587975231]On a 500 mile road trip between South Florida, and Dothan, Alabama, I stopped at the Fort Drum Service Area, on the Florida Turnpike.

I was shocked at what I saw!

The first 3 or 4 parking spaces were dedicated to "Low Emission, Fuel Efficient", vehicles.
After that were a number of dedicated "Handicapped" parking spaces.

Have we become so politically correct, that a person who owns a Prius, is more deserving of a parking spot closer to the building than a disabled war veteran, or an elderly person with a walker?

QUOTE]

30 mpg and looks good doing it. If it was me I would have told the lady nope the car aint green.....your color blind its Blade Silver (my car color)

TopGear episode...I believe it was a BMW and a Prius.... Prius had to keep up with the BMW then check the fuel consumption. not emissions but if your burning fuel your destroying the world

I am just glad everyone keeps saying politically correct.......good ole politics
Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

UnFing believeable . What does that have to do with parking up close? What a bunch of Dumba$$ we have running our country.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep! It's a phukkedd-upp world and you let it happen brother........just like every other sheeple out there in the AMERO..........including me!

BTW! The "GREEN" agenda is just a different way for the OBAMANATION to push their "Carbon Tax". We'll be paying a tax on everything that emits an exhaust (vehicles, mower, trimmer, leaf blower, etc.,....) in the very near future.

Mark my words! You heard it here first. :-(
Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's quite a story about your C6!

I see this getting ugly real quick!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:02 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
UnFing believeable . What does that have to do with parking up close? What a bunch of Dumba$$ we have running our country.
100%
Old 10-05-2014, 09:39 AM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never knew this existed...!! Very sad to see......
Old 10-05-2014, 09:50 AM
CheckSix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha...!!!

Thanks for your protest of said nonsense, Hameister!

This is exactly why in the last 15 months I have increased my carbon footprint. I now own 6 motor vehicles.... 3 motorcycles, 2 cars (1 is the Vette) and the new motorhome.

Getting in before the (carbon) lock!

The thing is, a few years ago it was well known that where the Prius lithium batteries were made, was one of the biggest planet impact polluters. Not to mention that building a Prius, takes more energy than building conventional vehicles.

Last edited by CheckSix; 10-05-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is insane!
Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is insane!
The liberal elitist thinking they're somehow more special, really nothing new. I remember years ago watching an Oprah show with a bunch of hollywood liberals pushing Gores, an inconvenient truth, telling everyone they should be driving a Prius and living in smaller homes. All the while they all fly around in their private jets to their multiple estates around the world. And not one sheeple in the audience called them out on it.

There is a large part of the population that is a special kind of stupid.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It simply means that Prius drivers need to be closer to the entrance because they are either lazy or unable to walk from further away.
I have two friends who are in wheelchairs, unable to walk. These are the people that handicap spots are made for. Of the cars that I see legally being parked in handicap spots, (displaying proper permits) only about one in ten is a legitimately handicapped person. Fat, lazy, a friendly doctor to write a permit...these are not handicapped people. Because of my two friends, this is a pet peeve of mine. The vast majority of cars in handicap spots are simply not there legitimately. Infuriating.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:55 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

outside of the handicapped spot which are regulated by law- the expecting mothers and hybrid vehicle signs are actually discriminatory. Not every family can fit in a prius, and not everybody can afford a brand new electric car.

There's also the question of if one business is allowed to reserve such spaces when the entire shopping center is owned by somebody else- I can see 20- minutes-only spots to support a certain business fronts with a lot of customers, but yeah...
I haven't tried my luck with the pregnant lady spot yet, but I definitely scoop up the electric car ones because they are always there, empty, just for me

next topic is younger, healthy people rocking handicapped placards and having no shame about it.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:15 PM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bank of America is promoting these signs as well. I park in them anyway as they are not sanctioned by any law. It is the businesses trying to be smug.

For the record, I park my R1 and my C6Z in those spots. Those two get better fuel economy than most cars out there as it is.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I work for an insurance company and the Tahoe hybrid is consider a fuel efficient vehicle. So I asked someone at the company if the Tahoe is consider fuel efficient vehicle then my vette is also fuel efficient vehicle since I get better gas mileage than the Tahoe hybrid. They disagreed!

Here is a quote I did online for the Tahoe

Old 10-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cclive
It simply means that Prius drivers need to be closer to the entrance because they are either lazy or unable to walk from further away.
I have two friends who are in wheelchairs, unable to walk. These are the people that handicap spots are made for. Of the cars that I see legally being parked in handicap spots, (displaying proper permits) only about one in ten is a legitimately handicapped person. Fat, lazy, a friendly doctor to write a permit...these are not handicapped people. Because of my two friends, this is a pet peeve of mine. The vast majority of cars in handicap spots are simply not there legitimately. Infuriating.
Originally Posted by mike100
....next topic is younger, healthy people rocking handicapped placards and having no shame about it.

I hear ya, and could not agree more.

You should see what it's like in South Florida...absolutely shameful.

I'm constantly observing people 20 years younger than me, park in a handicapped spot, leap out of their car, and run into a store, showing no sign of any kind of physical impairment.

True story....about 5 years ago I pulled into a parking space, at the same time a woman in her 40's pulled into the handicapped spot to my left.

She was obviously in a hurry, and dashed out of the car, hopped the curb with one foot, and walked very quickly into the Post Office.
I walked into the Post Office and stood in line directly behind her.

I asked her loud enough for everyone to hear..."excuse me, I see you parked in a handicapped space, and yet you are obviously physically fit, and in fact I had a hard time keeping up with you."
"May I ask why you have a handicapped tag on your car?"

Wow, she was livid, and my wife was very embarrassed. She said..."how dare you ask me a question like that...you have no right,...it's none of your business to what extent I am handicapped, ...I cannot believe you said that."

A man about 55 years old standing about 10' away said...."I see it all the time, she's probably visiting her elderly parents, and using their car, and their handicapped parking tag."

I said,... "you're probably correct, unfortunately these people rarely ever challenged, and they should be."

It's a part of the upside down world we live in these days.
No different than the parents who bring a 2 year old into a restaurant, and the kid doesn't stop screaming, and the owner/manager of the restaurant will say nothing to them.
30 people have their dinners ruined buy 2 people who couldn't care less, and no one says a thing.

Last edited by Hameister; 10-05-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:05 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

You should have took a better pic...We have to believe that you are being truthful...A lot of made of stories in the net...jmho...if true it is indeed very sad
Old 10-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ATC399
You should have took a better pic...We have to believe that you are being truthful...A lot of made of stories in the net...jmho...if true it is indeed very sad
I don't understand your comment.

How could I have taken a better photo?

I even took a close up of the sign in the event the distant shot wasn't legible. The "Fort Drum" sign is in the back ground. Anyone can go there and see it.

What more would you have wanted?

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Corvette GS is now a "Low Emission" vehicle!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:41 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

It looks like Florida is getting ahead of "The Peoples Republic of California"

I'll have to write my rep and see if we can get this deal too...
Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 PM
activevette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm going to order a Hybrid emblem for my vette in the morning! Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:11 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
It looks like Florida is getting ahead of "The Peoples Republic of California"

I'll have to write my rep and see if we can get this deal too...
Not to worry. Pretty soon we'll have special parking for "undocumented immigrants"

Quick Reply: 2013 Corvette GS is now a "Low Emission" vehicle!