C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice - C6 Coupe for HPDE car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM
psft_alum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Advice - C6 Coupe for HPDE car?

Greetings all,
I have decided to no longer used my 2008 C6 Z06 for HPDE's and will now use it only on the street. I am considering the purchase of a 2008 or newer C6 base coupe as a replacement. I thought about the C5's but my familiarity and preference is with the C6.
Here is my reasoning (please feel free to critique):
1) base C6 has steel frame which is much easier to cage than the C6Z aluminum one
2) LS3 much cheaper to replace than LS7
3) $30k of less for a 2008 or newer C6 base Coupe with less than 50k miles

Input on these questions would be much appreciated:
1) would a Grand Sport be a better choice for about $5k more
2) do Z06 wheels OEM fit the GrandSport
3) what are 3 best track tires (slicks) for the C6 base coupe
4) I used Hoosier R6's on my Z, do they make sizes that fit the C6 Base coupe
5) what insurance do I need, theft, liability, etc, besides track day insurance

Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

These are just some offhand thoughts....I don't know about HPDE's but I'm an avid road racer in a couple road racing organizations. Over the years my 2005 C6 evolved into a dedicated track car. It seems to me if you're going to have a dedicated track car you're wanting to get fairly serious about the sport. As your driving skills increase you'll want to be more competitive. Whether you're driving a Z06, a Grand Sport or a C6 being more competitive will entail modifications to the car. It just depends how crazy you want to get but modifications could easily exceed the cost of the car itself (especially when considering the cost of a used car). Any of the Corvettes you're considering can be modified to be smokin' fast...there are always pros and cons. For most of us modifications are made as time and money permit. Take your time deciding what all to do. Benefit from the experience of other more experienced Corvette racers and having a modification game plan helps. I still have a blast racing my 'heavy' modified street Corvette but every so often I think about buying a real racing Corvette such as made by AVI Racing. Just something to think about.

As for wheels virtually all serious Corvette racers go with 18" wheels all-around. Even the Corvette Racing C7.R's use 18" wheels. You'll have a better selection of tires with 18" wheels and there are other 'benefits.' Over time you'll find you need at least 2 sets of track wheels and tires (possibly wet tires too). You won't drive to the track on slicks and hauling extra wheels so you'll soon find a trailer is needed (and obviously a vehicle to pull the trailer). Don't be dissuaded, this is all a process that happens over time as you get more and more into the sport.

I used to have tubbed rear wheel wells on my C6 (to run wider rear tires) but I finally went to the wider Z06 rear quarter panels. I run 11 x 18 wheels on the front generally with 305/30/18 front tires and I run 12 x 18 rear wheels with a 335 or 345/35/18 rear tire. The Hoosier R6's are not slicks per se. I would recommend actual Michelin racing slicks. The Michelin racing slicks I use are 30-65-18 on the front and 33-65-18 on the rear. I have also used Hoosier R100 racing slicks and Dunlop slicks but IMHO Michelin slicks are the best. For simply hammering out laps I prefer the Kumho 710 tires over the Hoosier R6 tires. The Kumho 710's are not true slicks but they're a decent track tire....they grip reasonably well and they seem to last a good while.

I have never purchased track insurance. The last I checked it was prohibitively expensive. For a track car coverage you might consider is a 'paddock and trailer' policy through Hagerty Insurance. You can set the value of the car to include the purchase price and all your modifications and the car is insured while it's being transported on a trailer or when it's parked in the paddock or in your garage. I bear responsibility when I'm on the track. A year or two ago a friend got hit by a Viper which had spun-out. The Viper driver was at-fault and he stepped-up and paid to repair my friend's Corvette. That's how it's supposed to work.....be responsible for your own actions. An in-car camera is always a good idea to have especially if it's needed to document an incident. Frankly, I feel safer driving on the track than I do driving to and from the track.

Again, these are just some random thoughts. For most amateur racers it's a process that happens over time. The more you get into it and the more competitive you want to be one thing leads to another. The time and money is well spent....I have a proverbial blast racing my car! Learn, be safe and have fun with your car....good luck!

Quick Reply: Need Advice - C6 Coupe for HPDE car?