C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Illini Steve
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan

From Corvette from the Inside :

"There are five-speed automatics starting to show up in the market place, but so far, none has a ratio spread broader than the Corvette's four-gear transmission does. Rumor has it, though, that the C6 Corvette will have a five-speed automatic transmission, and that it will have an even longer wheelbase than the C5. This makes sense, as the longer wheelbase is probably needed to accomodate the lengthier five-speed automatic transmission."

Dave McLellan
Corvette Chief Engineer 1975-1992
Old 07-30-2002, 01:33 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan (Illini Steve)

Good info.

I remember a thread here a year ago that referred to a GM Powertrain presentation outlining near-future product releases, and one of them was a rear-drive high-torque five-speed automatic.

I would argue that it's the XLR that spurred the longer wheelbase to receive the five-speed auto, as a four-speed auto in XLR's market simply isn't spec-sheet competitive.

Consider this possibility: if the Corvette's six-speed is carried over, the four-speed would also be carried over because they're the same size, i.e. the Corvette may have a longer torque tube than the XLR. I'd like to see Corvette get the 5A, but perhaps there's a mass argument against it.

OTOH, they could just move the six-speed forward, extend its casting a bit and lengthen its output shaft. I dunno, I'm no engineer, but I can see an argument/excuse for the five-speed auto not showing up on C6's debut.

OT1H, the current four-speed is maxed out for torque (hence the 2001+ LS1 being limited to 360 ftlb when mated to the A4) -- why beef up the A4 when you've got a new A5? Unless the A5 can't yet handle the power either... the first-year XLR will probably only have 300 ftlb or so to play with...

.Jinx
Inconclusive
Old 07-30-2002, 06:03 PM
vetterar
Racer

I thought I read somewhere that the C6 was going to have a 4 speed auto. I remember this because I was shocked.

Jinx, you're something else on this forum... a person who is consistently interesting to read.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:07 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan (vetterar)

Thanks.

I live to entertain. Mostly myself. :)

.Jinx
No purchase necessary
Old 07-31-2002, 12:13 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan (Jinx)

Either would be great if they add a Auto-Stick option ... thats what I really want ... 4 or 5 speed ... but in a Auto-Stick ...
Old 07-31-2002, 10:33 AM
GTB
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan (NewVetteLover)

Either would be great if they add a Auto-Stick option ... thats what I really want ... 4 or 5 speed ... but in a Auto-Stick ...
Seems like a no-brainer looking at the competition.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:01 AM
Illini Steve
Drifting

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan (GTB)

:yesnod:

With sport sedans and even not-so-sporty sedans having them, how can it not? It doesn't need to be a sophisticated as Ferraris' F1, but that would be a nice target to shoot for.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:41 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:yesnod:

With sport sedans and even not-so-sporty sedans having them, how can it not? It doesn't need to be a sophisticated as Ferraris' F1, but that would be a nice target to shoot for.
Yeah ... I think that the A4 in the C5 is quite sluggish ... when you stomp it ... it takes a second to react ... the stick mode would allow you to drop the gear then stomp it ...
Old 08-04-2002, 10:19 PM
tscales
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan

Personally, I don't think the 360lbft limit is a restriction of the tranny. It can clearly handle more. I think it is to make the M6 'look better' as the sportier transmission.

Tom
Old 08-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan (NewVetteLover)

Its true guys. They lengthened the car to accomidate the 5th gear... :)
Old 08-05-2002, 10:37 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Re: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan (Mervz)

According to C & D, the XLR rear wheels were moved an inch toward the rear to accomodate the five speed auto, 5L50-E. This is supposedly a beefed up version of the transmition used by Cad in their rear wheel drive sedans. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Vett will be modified the same or that the 5L50-E can take the torque of the Vett engine.

From strictly a cost point of view, the mods made to the frame to accomodate the 5 speed for the XLR on a separate production line are easy to accomplish and still leave the Vett production line alone. Again, from a cost point of view, switching the Vett to a 5 speed will be expensive unless there are other cars that can use the same 5 speed and help pay the cost of development.

Prediction, no 5 speed auto for the Vett. It will stay with the 4 speed. :yesnod:

[Modified by I Bin Therbefor, 2:38 AM 8/6/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 11:47 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

GM Powertrain has been making 5-speed auto gear boxes for BMW and others for some time now.
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...m#applications

[Modified by kewlbrz, 9:49 PM 8/5/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan

Quick Reply: C6 Transmission info. from Dave McLellan