C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corrosion on control arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM
torqvaw
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corrosion on control arms

Hi everybody! Fitst post on the forum and I have question. I have a 2011 Z06 that has been garage kept and never driven in winter weather or for that matter I don't believe I even been caught in the rain with it. I was under the car last night poking around and noticed that I have what appears to be spots of corrosion on the lower control arms, and some of the other aluminum suspension parts. I thought that the aluminum suspension pieces were treated to keep this from happening? Is this common or do I have a garage problem. Honestly I never noticed it until I got under the car with a bright light and then the spots stood out. Ughhh

Looking for insight..Thanks!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

This is how aluminum responds in environment.

I do not recall having heard that the metal is treated.

You can using some Aluminum Brightener to make it look uniform again. It will turn it milky white if the concentrate is too strong. Also start from bottom and work up when applying.

I am not sure where you are located, perhaps humidity in the garage?

Try this link but it will be overwhelming: http://www.google.com/patents/US5584946

I think the short is that the oxidation taken place is like a coating and will protect the aluminum from further change.

Clean it and it will just repeat the process.

Unlike metal rusting the oxidation stops at the surface, with ferrous rust continues deeper into the metal.

I am not sure what action forum members have taken if any, this can be searched using the search function at the top of the home page.

Last edited by Boomer111; 09-17-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As part of my winter detailing, I put the car up on jack stands and with the wheels off I clean the entire bottom of the car. I clean all the aluminium suspension parts with Dawn soapy water and a fine Scotch bright pad.

That keeps it all looking pretty good underneath... that and it is a garage queen.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:37 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

I've seen this when a floor allows moisture to penetrate from below.

Is your garage floor cement or asphalt?

If asphalt there is no vapor barrier and you will have moisture.

If cement, it is possible whoever poured the floor didn't first lay a vapor barrier.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM
torqvaw
5th Gear

My garage is a concrete floor but I've never noticed it being damp. I did read somewhere about checking the moisture in your floor by taping a clear piece of plastic to the floor and letting it sit for awhile to see if any moisture accumulates. Very frustrating.... Keep the car inside so the elements don't screw it up and now maybe the garage floor.. I'm guessing that given enough time and unless a car is kept in a perfectly controlled environment moisture could also occur just from temp changes?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:50 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I bought my '13 in Feb with 8 miles on the clock. I store it in a garage and never drove it in snow or rain. My control arms are covered with small teardrops of corrosion that I attribute to someone test driving it when the road was wet and salty. This condition is common in the rust belt Northeast.

I am going to try wiping it down with machine oil and leave a light film. Any abrasive will permanently change the look of raw aluminum.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:58 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

This stuff works good "Aluminum Brightener" but be careful it will damage non aluminum parts especially fiberglass.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The oil will attract grime.

Wheel mfg. apply a clear coat.

Probably best if the suspension parts are removed first.

Seems like a lot of work, maybe for a show car.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

My GS was 33 months old and had 12k miles on it when I got it. It has always been a SoCal car so it hasn't seen much rain but the control arms were still kind of dirty/discolored. I used some metal cleaner on them with generally good results.

BE SURE TO KEEP ALL CLEANERS OFF OF THE FIBERGLASS SPRINGS. THE SPRINGS CAN FAIL COMPLETELY FROM CHEMICAL EXPOSURE. IT IS MENTIONED IN THE OWNERS MAUAL. AND SEVERAL FORUM MEMBERS HAVE HAD SPRINGS FAIL.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:39 PM
noz34me
Pro

It's aluminum. It's under the car. I mean, different strokes and all, but WOW! I don't know how anyone has the time to dedicate to this level of car cleaning.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by mickey5
I bought my '13 in Feb with 8 miles on the clock. I store it in a garage and never drove it in snow or rain. My control arms are covered with small teardrops of corrosion that I attribute to someone test driving it when the road was wet and salty. This condition is common in the rust belt Northeast.

I am going to try wiping it down with machine oil and leave a light film. Any abrasive will permanently change the look of raw aluminum.
So did I bought new from a dealer in n.h in the middle of winter.had 4 miles on it when paid for, had 7 mi on it ,like you said someone took it out to (check it out ) delivery.I too was suprised at the level of surface corrosion on the aluminum parts .Was wondering how to brighten things up??My c5 was spotless underneath at 14years old?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111

You can using some Aluminum Brightener to make it look uniform again. It will turn it milky white if the concentrate is too strong. Also start from bottom and work up when applying.

Try this link but it will be overwhelming: http://www.google.com/patents/US5584946

I think the short is that the oxidation taken place is like a coating and will protect the aluminum from further change.

Unlike metal rusting the oxidation stops at the surface, with ferrous rust continues deeper into the metal.

I am not sure what action forum members have taken if any, this can be searched using the search function at the top of the home page.
Yep! Aluminum Brightener from NAPA will do the trick. Do Not, Do Not get any of this stuff on the composite spring. the spring will delaminate and break. What I do is wrap the spring with aluminum foil and then wrap a towel around the foil and spring and secure it with masking tape. You must also rinse the treated area with clean water afterward. You will be amazed on the result. Just be careful of the spring.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

thanks for info
Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 PM
torqvaw
5th Gear

Originally Posted by noz34me
It's aluminum. It's under the car. I mean, different strokes and all, but WOW! I don't know how anyone has the time to dedicate to this level of car cleaning.
LOL! I keep trying to tell myself the same thing. However, Ive felt that the underside of the Vette since the C5 has been a work of art. I never noticed if the control arms on my c5's had gotten corrosion or not. From some of the responses I've seen I'm starting to get the feeling it's just the nature of the beast which is ok too. I was mainly concerned that I or my garage possibly caused it.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 567 Likes on 345 Posts

"L.C.WAX" Alumastick spray will do the trick. Spray on a rag and wipe down. Done
Old 09-18-2014, 01:19 AM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
Because people tend to.....

Old 09-18-2014, 06:12 PM
torqvaw
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
"L.C.WAX" Alumastick spray will do the trick. Spray on a rag and wipe down. Done
Just checked that out! Looks interesting!! Have you used this personally?

Get notified of new replies

To Corrosion on control arms

Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Boomer111

hey Boomer ,just mixed up a batch according to the patented process.Works great
Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 567 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by torqvaw
Just checked that out! Looks interesting!! Have you used this personally?
Yes, even back on my 02 and 04. The non oily film is leaves will not attract dust and will stop the "Powdering". My car is kept on a lift so I have to look at the underside all the time. My friend is in the aluminum business and told me about this product. Comes in a yellow can with a red top....inexpensive.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 09-18-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excuse me - but you're asking about a garage queen 2011 !
You can't believe it will stay the same condition as it was off the factory floor - even after such care.
Sounds like normal ageing - meaning nothing to sweat about.
But then also in my opinion - if you can afford it - you should be able to dump it long before this becomes a serious concern.

Quick Reply: Corrosion on control arms