C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone familar with this product?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist
Default Is anyone familar with this product?

I'm thinking of buying this power washer for several reasons.

1) I need one for general cleaning around the house. Sidewalks, patio, windows, etc.

2) This particular product seems to enjoy excellent reviews from a lot of folks.

3) I'd also use it to wash my C6, especially the wheels.

The price is very reasonable, and it seems to be plenty powerful especially for an electric unit. (don't want gas)

So, I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this product, or perhaps knows of a better one. (electric only)

Thanks in advance.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-170...4122/203800590

Old 09-05-2014, 08:02 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

I know you don't want gas but....... I would double think that. I have always had a gas one but also purchased an electric one a few years back (dont remember the brand) because I thought it would be a little more convenient for some of the small stuff. Long story short, it's now in the trash and I still have my gas one
Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Speaking from experience, the more pressure, the better you are going to like your pressure washer.
I have an 2000 psi Karcher unit, and wished at times I had more pressure for certain tasks.
As Tim once said..."MORE POWER"

Here is a guide from Home depot on suggested tasks vs pressure washers.

Hope this helps a bit
Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

In addition to the pressure number the GPM tells the story. The one your looking at is only 1.2 which is a wimp. Most gas powered units are more than double that...about 2.5 GPM and up. The more water the faster it works.

I can do an 1100 sq ft deck in 3-4 hours with a 2500 PSI, 2.5 GPM gas unit. Yours would probably take twice that time.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

If it is mainly for your car then that is fine. I had an electric in the past and was OK for that, but sucked for the patio.
I got a 3000 PSI gas one for the patio and driveway, and then purchased the big round surface cleaner to use instead of the wand.
It used to take me 6 hours to clean my pool patio with a wand pressure washer, then I got the surface cleaner and takes me now 45 minutes.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

I would be afraid of blasting off the paint or stripes but I guess that's what car washers use. And the vinyl decals have been on cars since the 60's. I guess I like hand washing my car, get it out in the shaded driveway on a Sat afternoon wash and detailing it. Kinda of a bonding thing...
🏁🇺🇸🏁🇺🇸
Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,989 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

We have a Troy Bilt which has done a good job for us.......it is a gas one but they may make an electric one. We rented on for a job once and the tool rental guy said that was all they would use because they held up well......
Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I know you don't want gas but....... I would double think that. I have always had a gas one but also purchased an electric one a few years back (dont remember the brand) because I thought it would be a little more convenient for some of the small stuff. Long story short, it's now in the trash and I still have my gas one
From the comments made so far, I will re-think the use of gas.
I just don't want to store gas in the garage, it gets beastly hot here in July & August.
I don't want to mess with the maintenance required with a gas engine, oil changes, starting problems, etc.
The less I have to mess with, the happier I am.

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Speaking from experience, the more pressure, the better you are going to like your pressure washer.
I have an 2000 psi Karcher unit, and wished at times I had more pressure for certain tasks.
As Tim once said..."MORE POWER"

Here is a guide from Home depot on suggested tasks vs pressure washers.

Hope this helps a bit
Thanks for that psi vs. use chart, that is very informative.

Originally Posted by mickey5
In addition to the pressure number the GPM tells the story. The one your looking at is only 1.2 which is a wimp. Most gas powered units are more than double that...about 2.5 GPM and up. The more water the faster it works.

I can do an 1100 sq ft deck in 3-4 hours with a 2500 PSI, 2.5 GPM gas unit. Yours would probably take twice that time.
All true for sure, I suppose I should have said that this will be for rather light, and infrequent use around the house.
Windows 3 or 4 times a year, an occasional black mold spot on the sidewalk, or patio.
I really don't have any heavy duty cleaning anywhere. If I did, I would certainly not consider an electric unit.

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
If it is mainly for your car then that is fine. I had an electric in the past and was OK for that, but sucked for the patio...
There ya go. I'm sorry, I should have explained my needs more thoroughly, my bad.
Yes, it's primarily for cleaning the wheels with it's deep barrels on my 'vette.
I'm tired of getting on my hands and knees to clean them, I'm not a kid anymore.
I used a friend's electric power washer last week. It was about the same psi and flow as this one.
It was a pleasure to clean the wheels so easily, while standing up, with so little effort.
Blasted the brake dust away with no problem, and I kept the tip far enough away from the wheel to avoid any paint issues.
He didn't recommend his because it was a fairly high unit, and tipped over easily, and that was really annoying.
He recommended this Ryobi model because it's design makes it difficult to tip over.
Then I read so many consumer reviews and most are outstanding.

However, as others have suggested, I will give a more powerful gas unit a second thought.

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I would be afraid of blasting off the paint or stripes but I guess that's what car washers use. And the vinyl decals have been on cars since the 60's. I guess I like hand washing my car, get it out in the shaded driveway on a Sat afternoon wash and detailing it. Kinda of a bonding thing...
I hear ya, and I also prefer to wash by hand. As I said, this would be used primarily for wheels.

Thanks to all for your input, it's always appreciated!

Last edited by Hameister; 09-05-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:11 AM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Hameister

1) I need one for general cleaning around the house. Sidewalks, patio, windows, etc.

2) This particular product seems to enjoy excellent reviews from a lot of folks.

The price is very reasonable, and it seems to be plenty powerful especially for an electric unit. (don't want gas)

So, I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this product, or perhaps knows of a better one. (electric only)

Thanks in advance.

One thing you need to check on this unit is how many amps it draws. Many electric pressure washers draw 30 amps and most residential properties are not equipped for anything over 20 amps. Adding a 30 amp circuit can be pricey. I had a Ryobi electric sprayer and it caused a breaker to trip every time I used it. I had a choice of adding a 30 amp circuit for $450.00 or paying $250.00 for a decent gasoline powered unit. I bought the gas unit.

The 1700 psi unit won't do much - example: I live in Louisiana and during the summer algae grows on the north face of our homes. My 1700 psi unit wouldn't break the algae lose, but my 3100 psi gas unit will.

BobD

BobD
Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FiremanC6
One thing you need to check on this unit is how many amps it draws. Many electric pressure washers draw 30 amps and most residential properties are not equipped for anything over 20 amps. Adding a 30 amp circuit can be pricey. I had a Ryobi electric sprayer and it caused a breaker to trip every time I used it. I had a choice of adding a 30 amp circuit for $450.00 or paying $250.00 for a decent gasoline powered unit. I bought the gas unit.

The 1700 psi unit won't do much - example: I live in Louisiana and during the summer algae grows on the north face of our homes. My 1700 psi unit wouldn't break the algae lose, but my 3100 psi gas unit will.

BobD

BobD
No algae, or heavy duty cleaning needed here, but your point is well taken regarding the current draw.

It's rated at 13 amps, which probably means a 14 ~ 15 amp start-up surge.
That shouldn't pose any issues.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Cyber Grey
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's Home Depot ,,, use it and see what it does,, keep it or take it back. !?!?!?!

Your purpose,, the rims is good enough. Also around wood be careful.

I did my house , deck and bricks with electric and no problem.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have a Karcher electric 1700 psi and I like it. It has two wands: a fan, and one that has a rotating head, which is the full power one. It's good for most chores around the house so I don't need a more powerful one. Used to have a gas but it got to where it wouldn't start.

I've used it on my car. You still have to rub it with a mitt though to get the grime off. It's great for the wheels ... I spray some Simple Green, let it sit a while, then use the pressure washer.

A word of caution if you use it on the tires though: if you hit it too hard, and leave it in one spot too long, it turns the black tire to where it has a sort of muddy brown tint to it. Those are Michelin tires, so I wouldn't really use it full power on the rubber.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cyber Grey
It's Home Depot ,,, use it and see what it does,, keep it or take it back. !?!?!?!

Your purpose,, the rims is good enough. Also around wood be careful.

I did my house , deck and bricks with electric and no problem.
Yep, you're right, that's always an option, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't like returning purchases.
Guess I'm old school. I like to research, and buy the right product the first time.

Thanks for the input on your experience with electric.

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I have a Karcher electric 1700 psi and I like it. It has two wands: a fan, and one that has a rotating head, which is the full power one. It's good for most chores around the house so I don't need a more powerful one. Used to have a gas but it got to where it wouldn't start.

I've used it on my car. You still have to rub it with a mitt though to get the grime off. It's great for the wheels ... I spray some Simple Green, let it sit a while, then use the pressure washer.

A word of caution if you use it on the tires though: if you hit it too hard, and leave it in one spot too long, it turns the black tire to where it has a sort of muddy brown tint to it. Those are Michelin tires, so I wouldn't really use it full power on the rubber.
I appreciate your advice. Thanks to both of you.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

I'm a retired general contractor and for what it's worth I'd get as much power as possible because a high powered unit makes quick work of large areas.

Additionally, I would NEVER get a pressure washer anywhere near a Corvette or any car for that matter. Careless use of a pressure washer can blow paint and trim right off the car and can push water past seals and gaskets into bearings, calipers and electrical connections. Super important, don't get any solvents or cleaners on the fiberglass leaf springs because then can delaminate and collapse! Refer to the owners manual on this matter.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:51 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,361 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Not dissing electric pressure washers but they give me the *******. I have a Karcher 3000 (love the Honda motor) that I bought at Costco several years ago. It is the best!
And here's a plus...it may take the paint off your wheels!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 PM
pcolarossi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks in advance.

I was just checking on some washers myself, came across this
http://www.consumersearch.com/pressure-washers

Good Luck
Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 889 Likes on 577 Posts

Have several Ryobi products and all have performed well and lasted. Not sure about the pressure washer on the Vette. For the wheels, you might try Mr. Moto Wash and the hose-end sprayer. However, it does have a "Turbo Nozzle" and that has to count for something.

Get notified of new replies

To Is anyone familar with this product?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Do not care for the electric (karcher etc) or the box store units they are mostly lower power washers and not worth it. I picked up a 3,000 psi Generac off of Amazon and have been very happy with it, more then enough power.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dendk
Do not care for the electric (karcher etc) or the box store units they are mostly lower power washers and not worth it. I picked up a 3,000 psi Generac off of Amazon and have been very happy with it, more then enough power.
I've seen those at Amazon, 3,000 ~ 3,100 psi and 2.5 to 3.0 gpm.

They look like professional machines.

Do you use that on your 'vette? Wheels?

Seems like you'd have to keep the tip at least 2' from the car.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

I've seen those at Amazon, 3,000 ~ 3,100 psi and 2.5 to 3.0 gpm.

They look like professional machines.

Do you use that on your 'vette? Wheels?

Seems like you'd have to keep the tip at least 2' from the car.
Forgot to say these are gas powered washers...It has 4 different nozzles to work with, super high pressure all the way to the low pressure depends what you use it for. Obviously lower pressure for the wheels and such...they also have a container that dispenses soap/cleaner. I wanted to chime in because i made the mistake of getting the electric one and sending it back, as always YMWV

Quick Reply: Is anyone familar with this product?