C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just have to tell you guys what happened on my trip to Maine

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Default I just have to tell you guys what happened on my trip to Maine

I wanted to eat a Maine lobster in Maine. So I am travelling on I95 in my yellow 2008 C6. We're moving, staying way behind this crazy woman driver who was tailgating me for miles, then finally after I slowed down to force her to pass me, she passed and started to tail others.

Then I get pointed to by a roadside trooper who then motioned me to pull over. The trooper was already writing a ticket out to another driver.

I pulled over, but I was a bit up road from the trooper. So to be nice I backed up along the 70 mph interstate to the trooper. As I was backing up, I was thinking - when is the cop going to tell me to stop backing up.

Well I was backing up, watching in my left outside rear mirror to avoid going into the moving traffic...when WHAM... ...I backed into the car in front of the trooper. I was so pissed at myself. The car was parked way against the guardrail so it didn’t appear at all in my outside mirror; so I hit him pretty badly.

I said to the cop...I just hit that car...and they say, yes you did. (In NY here - I would have been DUI tested and who know what else.) You were caught by AIRCRAFT...figures...my car is yellow and the speedier woman was black.

But these troopers just wanted to write the ticket and leave. The guy I hit also seemed like he just wanted to leave too - like he was transporting something illegal, or maybe he was illegal...he didn’t say a word. I apologized, but he just kept looking down and just wanted out. Can you imagine what he was thinking...the most beautiful Corvette in the world is backing up to me...uh oh...he's not stopping - wham...OMG he hit me, right in front of the state trooper. And all I want is to get out of here.

Well after the troopers inspected our cars, they find NOTHING...nothing! What a car...what a great designed car. I have 107,000 miles on my 08, and it continually amazes me.

When I came home (BTW, I drove 370 miles to the perfect lobster dock, ate a huge handpicked lobster, then DROVE 370 miles HOME - the same day - who says those seats aren’t good?) I arrived home not tired much at all.

The next day, I see a smudge on the rear fascia. It wouldn’t polish out with just a cleaner wax, so I used some polishing compound and the mark was completely removed...not a hint of visible damage - none. I polished out marks and scrapes just like this about 3 or 4 times before. It's like our cars are painted really think...so there's plenty of paint to work with, polishing out similar scrapes.

I love the C6 Corvette...I really do.

For the last 3 years I had absolutely no problems with the car...not a fuse, not a single problem. And my car still looks brand new...inside and out. Even my Porsche mechanic friend cant believe how new the car still looks...

If you're considering a C6...buy it. And dont be afraid to drive it everyday...

Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by joliett
I wanted to eat a Maine lobster in Maine. So I am travelling on I95 in my yellow 2008 C6. We're moving, staying way behind this crazy woman driver who was tailgating me for miles, then finally after I slowed down to force her to pass me, she passed and started to tail others.

Then I get pointed to by a roadside trooper who then motioned me to pull over. The trooper was already writing a ticket out to another driver.

I pulled over, but I was a bit up road from the trooper. So to be nice I backed up along the 70 mph interstate to the trooper. As I was backing up, I was thinking - when is the cop going to tell me to stop backing up.

Well I was backing up, watching in my left outside rear mirror to avoid going into the moving traffic...when WHAM... ...I backed into the car in front of the trooper. I was so pissed at myself. The car was parked way against the guardrail so it didn’t appear at all in my outside mirror; so I hit him pretty badly.

I said to the cop...I just hit that car...and they say, yes you did. (In NY here - I would have been DUI tested and who know what else.) You were caught by AIRCRAFT...figures...my car is yellow and the speedier woman was black.

But these troopers just wanted to write the ticket and leave. The guy I hit also seemed like he just wanted to leave too - like he was transporting something illegal, or maybe he was illegal...he didn’t say a word. I apologized, but he just kept looking down and just wanted out. Can you imagine what he was thinking...the most beautiful Corvette in the world is backing up to me...uh oh...he's not stopping - wham...OMG he hit me, right in front of the state trooper. And all I want is to get out of here.

Well after the troopers inspected our cars, they find NOTHING...nothing! What a car...what a great designed car. I have 107,000 miles on my 08, and it continually amazes me.

When I came home (BTW, I drove 370 miles to the perfect lobster dock, ate a huge handpicked lobster, then DROVE 370 miles HOME - the same day - who says those seats aren’t good?) I arrived home not tired much at all.

The next day, I see a smudge on the rear fascia. It wouldn’t polish out with just a cleaner wax, so I used some polishing compound and the mark was completely removed...not a hint of visible damage - none. I polished out marks and scrapes just like this about 3 or 4 times before. It's like our cars are painted really think...so there's plenty of paint to work with, polishing out similar scrapes.

I love the C6 Corvette...I really do.

For the last 3 years I had absolutely no problems with the car...not a fuse, not a single problem. And my car still looks brand new...inside and out. Even my Porsche mechanic friend cant believe how new the car still looks...

If you're considering a C6...buy it. And dont be afraid to drive it everyday...

Our cars have a very hard clear coat to them, so they take a little extra to get to the paint, lucky you.
I scraped my mirror one day backing into the garage, and the paint from the door trim marked the mirror badly, but came right off with polishing.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Good story. Glad the car was not damaged. Next time let the cop come to you. Also most troopers won't bother u in Ma ,Maine unless your going over 85.

Next time try Browns in Nh. Little closers and amazing seafood.

http://brownslobsterpound.com/index.php
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Why in the heck were you backing up on an interstate? You never backup on an interstate!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good lesson to learn here, when a trooper points or motions, wave back, its just the vette wave. Keep moving, he'll find you if there is a real problem.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 AM
SullysRants
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lesson of this story is next time the trooper motions to pull over just hit the damn gas pedal!!! Run for it. JK

I can't even tell you how many lobsters I have eaten in Maine, Boston and Canada. :-)

Glad your Vette wasn't hurt.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

wait a minute, wait a minute. lets back up here. was the woman black or was her car black? i just don't want this to sound like a racial profiling incident.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What polishing compound do you use?

LA
Old 08-22-2014, 01:57 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Next time have the fish and spend themoney you saved on some new glasses. Lol
Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whit1
most troopers won't bother u in Ma ,Maine unless your going over 85.
I was clocked at 83 in a 70...
Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legal Alien
What polishing compound do you use?

LA
I use the cheapest paste POLISHING COMPOUND available at any Auto Supply Store...
Old 08-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Ahzuz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're that lucky with your c6. In two months of ownership I had more troubles than you in three years, more than with my Acura tl in 4 years and more ($$$) than my mustang 5.0l in 8 years!

Some folks are luckier
Old 08-22-2014, 05:15 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ahzuz
Glad you're that lucky with your c6. In two months of ownership I had more troubles than you in three years, more than with my Acura tl in 4 years and more ($$$) than my mustang 5.0l in 8 years!

Some folks are luckier
You know what? I wasn’t so lucky when the car was new...All the tire air sensors had to be replaced...I think they did it one visit at a time as they failed one at a time. Then at 23K miles the engine broke a valve spring while I was traveling. After the dealer said it wasn’t covered because they thought my car was raced...I started fuming. First off, the car was never raced (except when I beat the pants off a new Boxster). Then they put the engine back together without replacing any valve seals. So I started getting oil usage and oil smells. Oh - I was told, GM says one quart in 1K miles is usual. That was a huge problem. But after I learned to finally stop yelling, and just be nice, my local dealer stepped up to the plate and rebuilt the entire head with new seals. IN ONE DAY! And since then the engine has been perfect. No oil usage, no smells.

Add into the mix, the heater display started flickering and needed warranty replacement. The roof flew off about 4 or 5 times...... the driver's seat leather and foam was replaced under warranty. And I changed the rear differential fluid myself. Changed brakes once too. BTW, the huge engine air filter appears to last the life of the car, facing down like it does even cleans itself too. I also added an oil catch can which I think eliminated any oil change smells.

It wasn’t until about 60K miles that the car was finally broken in and since, I have had absolutely no problems. Stick with your C6...it will eventually break in and be completely reliable.

I plan to go to my local dealer - just to say hello...I haven’t been in there for over 2 years.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Great story glad it had a good ending!!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

740 miles holy moly...dat amazing.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:00 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by joliett
You know what? I wasn’t so lucky when the car was new...All the tire air sensors had to be replaced...I think they did it one visit at a time as they failed one at a time. Then at 23K miles the engine broke a valve spring while I was traveling. After the dealer said it wasn’t covered because they thought my car was raced...I started fuming. First off, the car was never raced (except when I beat the pants off a new Boxster). Then they put the engine back together without replacing any valve seals. So I started getting oil usage and oil smells. Oh - I was told, GM says one quart in 1K miles is usual. That was a huge problem. But after I learned to finally stop yelling, and just be nice, my local dealer stepped up to the plate and rebuilt the entire head with new seals. IN ONE DAY! And since then the engine has been perfect. No oil usage, no smells.

Add into the mix, the heater display started flickering and needed warranty replacement. The roof flew off about 4 or 5 times...... the driver's seat leather and foam was replaced under warranty. And I changed the rear differential fluid myself. Changed brakes once too. BTW, the huge engine air filter appears to last the life of the car, facing down like it does even cleans itself too. I also added an oil catch can which I think eliminated any oil change smells.

It wasn’t until about 60K miles that the car was finally broken in and since, I have had absolutely no problems. Stick with your C6...it will eventually break in and be completely reliable.

I plan to go to my local dealer - just to say hello...I haven’t been in there for over 2 years.
We used to use LS1's in our engine lab and broke spring regularly. The OEM springs are called a Beehive design. We had to change them to a straight coil type that helped the issue.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Interesting story. Yes, C6's are great cars.

Get notified of new replies

To I just have to tell you guys what happened on my trip to Maine

Quick Reply: I just have to tell you guys what happened on my trip to Maine