C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Corvette/Exhaust Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Steve318a
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st Corvette/Exhaust Opinions

So I'm picking up my first Corvette next weekend, a 2006 Monterey Red convertible with a little over 20k miles on the clock.

First thing I want to do is an exhaust system. My Dad bout a 2010 GrandSport about a month ago and the first thing I noticed is that the exhaust is a little quiet for my taste.

Anyway, I am looking into a Borla axle back and ARH 1 3/4" headers with catted x pipe. I pretty much have my mind made up on these, but I'm going back and forth between the Touring and the S Type II Borla's. I'm coming from a 2012 Mustang GT with a full exhaust, that started out with just the Borla S Type's and I loved the way they sounded. I added American Racing headers later and liked it, but thought it was just a little bit too loud (it absolutely screamed at WOT, but wasn't too bad cruising).

That said, I'm kind of leaning towards to Touring mufflers right now, but I can't make up my mind. I know this is a totally different motor and sound, so I'd appreciate some thoughts/opinions from anyone with a similar setup or anyone who wants to chime in. I have seen a bunch of videos of the S Type's with headers, but haven't had much luck finding anything with the Touring/headers combo.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve318a
So I'm picking up my first Corvette next weekend, a 2006 Monterey Red convertible with a little over 20k miles on the clock.

First thing I want to do is an exhaust system. My Dad bout a 2010 GrandSport about a month ago and the first thing I noticed is that the exhaust is a little quiet for my taste.

Anyway, I am looking into a Borla axle back and ARH 1 3/4" headers with catted x pipe. I pretty much have my mind made up on these, but I'm going back and forth between the Touring and the S Type II Borla's. I'm coming from a 2012 Mustang GT with a full exhaust, that started out with just the Borla S Type's and I loved the way they sounded. I added American Racing headers later and liked it, but thought it was just a little bit too loud (it absolutely screamed at WOT, but wasn't too bad cruising).

That said, I'm kind of leaning towards to Touring mufflers right now, but I can't make up my mind. I know this is a totally different motor and sound, so I'd appreciate some thoughts/opinions from anyone with a similar setup or anyone who wants to chime in. I have seen a bunch of videos of the S Type's with headers, but haven't had much luck finding anything with the Touring/headers combo.
A friend of mine has the Touring exhaust, but with stock manifolds, and it's pretty quiet. He's a little disappointed with it and was hoping for more of a change vs. the stock system. I think it would be louder with headers, so it may work for you.

If you are sitting on the fence and can't decide, one idea might be to go with S type system. If it's too loud for you and you decide to change to the Touring, it would be easy to sell the S-type on this forum or elsewhere. But it would probably be more challenging to sell the Touring setup if you decided it wasn't right.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
jersphoto
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2006 Monterey Red coupe LS2 A6 with axle back FlowMaster exhaust produce a ton of drone even after serious insulation added to the back half of the car. Around 1,500 RPM. Something to think about as i consider what to try next to get rid of the hateful drone. Love the sound, hate the drone..
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Borla cat-back. Sounds great! not sure which model however.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:17 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Borla ATAK axle-back...love it...no noticeable drone.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Steve318a
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blitzebill
I have a Borla ATAK axle-back...love it...no noticeable drone.
Yeah drone is definitely a factor in my decision. From what I have read, Borla has figured this out pretty well with the updated mufflers. My main concern is volume. I know The S type or the ATAK would sound outstanding with the stock manifolds, I'm jsut worried that it will be too loud combined with headers. That was the issue with my Mustang, it sounded perfect before I added headers. Especially since it is a convertible, I'm a little nervous about the S type being too loud with headers.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Steve318a
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GW360
A friend of mine has the Touring exhaust, but with stock manifolds, and it's pretty quiet. He's a little disappointed with it and was hoping for more of a change vs. the stock system. I think it would be louder with headers, so it may work for you.

If you are sitting on the fence and can't decide, one idea might be to go with S type system. If it's too loud for you and you decide to change to the Touring, it would be easy to sell the S-type on this forum or elsewhere. But it would probably be more challenging to sell the Touring setup if you decided it wasn't right.
This is a good point, although I'm sure I'd take a hit re-selling. I'd obviously like to get it right the first time, but it's tough trying to find a good video of the Touring mufflers with headers.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:38 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jersphoto
My 2006 Monterey Red coupe LS2 A6 with axle back FlowMaster exhaust produce a ton of drone even after serious insulation added to the back half of the car. Around 1,500 RPM. Something to think about as i consider what to try next to get rid of the hateful drone. Love the sound, hate the drone..
I also had a 2006 Monterey (mine was a convertible)---great car--great color! I left the OEM muffler in place. Current car has the mild-to-wild in it so I can eliminate the drone whenever I want (isn't only my wife that hates the drone on the highway after awhile). Do after market exhaust systems comes mild-to wild compatible......my neighbor wants some noise as well in his newly purchased 2009, but he wants to be able to control the drone.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

yeah...I would go with the "s" cause they would be easier to unload if you are not pleased with them. ain't nothing worse than paying a lot of coin for an exhaust that nobody else wants....that is...unless it works for you.
good luck!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:32 PM
0billyb_at_borla
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our C6 systems are amazing. no drone. high performance. million mile warranty. only the best materials and made in the USA. Bob Bondurant loves them and its the only exhaust he'll use in his Corvette racing school. watch the clip and enjoy your decision

Old 08-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Dank27
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put borla atak on my z06 and it screams at open throttle with almost zero drone. I love them
Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

not that billyb is biased in any way! hahahaha
Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow427
I also had a 2006 Monterey (mine was a convertible)---great car--great color! I left the OEM muffler in place. Current car has the mild-to-wild in it so I can eliminate the drone whenever I want (isn't only my wife that hates the drone on the highway after awhile). Do after market exhaust systems comes mild-to wild compatible......my neighbor wants some noise as well in his newly purchased 2009, but he wants to be able to control the drone.
Nice threadjack with completely unrelated content (Monterey Red doesn't count, LOL). But short answer, your neighbor could look at the B&B Fusion system which provides NPP-style dual-mode operation.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I documented my car during different stages of my exhaust evolution. I honestly love the sound with my header, catless x-pipe and Borla ATAK. Laying off the gas and putting around town, it really isn't all that loud from inside the cabin. I hope these videos help your decision. All the videos below are recorded with my iPhone 4s for consistency.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:07 AM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Exhaust & opinions: everyone has one.

I've had C5 with Corsa touring; C6 with Corsa sports and then added headers and now C6 with NPP and mild to wild.

Its all a personal taste. I can tell you that with Corsa you get no drone. Even better than GM NPP. Screams when you want and quite when cruising. Nice rumble at idle. Only way to tell without risk of trial and error is go to a car show, vette club or a local forum member and hear the combo yourself. The forum and local club hooked me up twice with demos.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put Borla Sport II on my 2007 and I couldn't be happier.
No drone perfect throaty sound.
I replaced B&B that were killing my ears and highly recommend the Borla.
I even spent half an hour on the phone with their rep, he convinced me and sure was right.
Good luck
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM
67Riviera
Instructor

I'd also recommend the Borla ATAK setup. Currently running Kooks headers and x-pipe with high flow cats. Under low to moderate throttle it just has a nice throaty rumble, wide open throttle it sounds like it wants to rip someone's head off. No highway drone.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Corvette/Exhaust Opinions

Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 AM
A4ea
Intermediate

Yesterday I received my Corsa Extreme system, trust it will sound great but my question is - headers too or one step at a time.....? 2007 base coupe town driving....
Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

i have corsa sports and they sound awesome...now,,,wanna save some money for something else??? delete the stock mufflers and run stock piping... search in here for sound vids...you will be amazed how they sound......then put that money towards headers, high flow cats and x pipe..or if you really wanna have some fun,,,,delete stock mufflers and add a pair of electronic cutouts....you will enjoy that more than anything else at car shows....
Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 AM
JohnR2000
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4RACER
I have a Borla cat-back. Sounds great! not sure which model however.
Same here.

Quick Reply: 1st Corvette/Exhaust Opinions