C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would YOU be happy with this paint match on YOUR Corvette?
No
92.93%
Yes
7.07%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Acceptable or Unacceptable

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Acceptable or Unacceptable

Please read my thread here before voting, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-project.html

After reading that thread please vote on if the paint on the Side Skirts is an acceptable match if they were on YOUR Corvette, if time and money was not an option, would you be pleased with this or would you want it repainted.

Thank you for your vote!

** EDIT **

These are not installed they are just supported there to see how good/bad they do or do not match. They are at the shop now and when my two other parts arrive they are going to have the car there when they paint them all to ensure a match or close match. The fit and finish is awesome, it just does not match, the local paint shop is fixing it for me by repainting them. Just wanted others opinions. Thanks to all of you.
Attached Images   

Last edited by GhostC6; 08-21-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:53 PM
otisfooter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better off having a local body shop do the match, but that is close from a picture. may be different in sunlite.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Absolutely not, that is not acceptable...sorry, I wish I could say something to make you feel better but that does not match. Good luck...
Old 08-21-2014, 04:01 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

nope...I would have never even installed it.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:03 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Too bad, the paint and fit looks good, the color just doesn't match the car. It's a "must-fix" issue.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:14 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We all see shades differently. To my eyes the paint looks like a good match. I have seen a body shop fail to match two year old paint on a car that was damaged. I had another paint mixing shop that perfectly matched 10 year old paint (painted on by a friend).

I have also asked a professional paint mixing shop to match a paint that was used by the Jaguar F1 team. They couldn't match the gold flake in the paint and I ended up getting some cans of paint from the F1 team. The paint was used on some simulators on Jaguar's behalf.

On the first photo above the light reflecting off the top of the fender looks like a good match for the same reflective angle on the side skirt. The close up doesn't look like a match, and it shouldn't as the light is not reflecting off of it at the same level/intensity.

You could ask for the same paint from the factory and maybe it would be a closer if not exact match. But From my experience the factory can blend their own paints that can't be duplicated with out an expensive chemical analysis to determine the contents of the mixture. Then to purchase the required ingredients (pigments/colorants and any metal flake) to get the exact match and have it mixed properly . . . well, maybe what you have is acceptable.

The question then becomes: if the shop has the car to match the paint and they say yes, they can match it exactly, and then they don't, will they refund all or a partial and you go away with what you are willing to accept?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Here is a close up of the Side Skirts where they fit against the car body behind the front wheel, this gives a better look, and the match/unmatch is 10 times worse in sunlight.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2014, 04:22 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
We all see shades differently. To my eyes the paint looks like a good match. I have seen a body shop fail to match two year old paint on a car that was damaged. I had another paint mixing shop that perfectly matched 10 year old paint (painted on by a friend).

I have also asked a professional paint mixing shop to match a paint that was used by the Jaguar F1 team. They couldn't match the gold flake in the paint and I ended up getting some cans of paint from the F1 team. The paint was used on some simulators on Jaguar's behalf.

On the first photo above the light reflecting off the top of the fender looks like a good match for the same reflective angle on the side skirt. The close up doesn't look like a match, and it shouldn't as the light is not reflecting off of it at the same level/intensity.

You could ask for the same paint from the factory and maybe it would be a closer if not exact match. But From my experience the factory can blend their own paints that can't be duplicated with out an expensive chemical analysis to determine the contents of the mixture. Then to purchase the required ingredients (pigments/colorants and any metal flake) to get the exact match and have it mixed properly . . . well, maybe what you have is acceptable.

The question then becomes: if the shop has the car to match the paint and they say yes, they can match it exactly, and then they don't, will they refund all or a partial and you go away with what you are willing to accept?
I guess my expectation comes from this, the car had a scuff on the rear bumper of the car from where the small town dealer had knocked something over and it messed up the paint in a small area. He had hi friend a local painter to sand it and repaint the corner of it. It is a perfect match and you cannot tell there was ever a problem or it was repainted. If he can do this, which occurred January of this year, then my local shop should be able to also.

Why not take it to the guy who matched it, he is 400 miles away, otherwise I would..lol

Also, depending on individual monitors they color may appear better. I do photography and my monitors are all calibrated to be right on. If you viewed it in person or on my PC you would see it is night and day different.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:26 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostC6
Here is a close up of the Side Skirts where they fit against the car body behind the front wheel, this gives a better look, and the match/unmatch is 10 times worse in sunlight.
man...that aint even close. hell...even stevie wonder can see that.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:27 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

It's obvious that it's not close to an acceptable match. It would stick out like a sore thumb.

The 2 that voted 'yes' either hit the wrong selection or are color blind.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:45 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. It's not a good match and I would not be happy with it.

HOWEVER - this is exactly why it's normal practice when any body panel is repaired or replaced, to blend the color by painting onto adjacent panels. The seam between two panels or parts is a visual signal to your eye/brain that amplifies your perception of a change in color from one part to another. That optical effect is greatly reduced or eliminated by carrying the color across the seam. If you want a 100% visual match, you'll likely need to have the new parts blended onto the car, especially with a difficult color like this. Otherwise, you may need to prepare yourself to live with a 95% match.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That last picture does look like a bright red skirt compared to a more maroon body color. In the first picture the reflection from the top of the fender looks the same as the side skirt making it look like the lighting is the cause of the variation in color.

If it looks that different in person, then by all means have it redone to match if the shop has the ability to do it. Maybe the guy that did the repairs in January can mix up some paint to be used and send it to you. Maybe he knows something that they don't.
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No way, they missed the mark on that one.
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Before I jump on the band wagon that it's not a good match, keep in mind the angle at which we're looking at. We're comparing the red on the side of the car with the red of the side skirt which is at a totally different angle. It's like comparing the red on the hood of the car with the red on the side. Of course the side is going to look darker. If the painter used the same color number as the rest of the car, then I would think that's as true as you're going to get. Off the subject here but why the side skirts? I know to each is own but I like it much better without it and I have the same color as you. Just one man's opinion I guess!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Joni Lynn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on how well the colors are represented in the photos I am inclined to say the side skirt isn't even close on color.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:03 PM
2009CSR #45
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd ask the shop that painted it if they used Torch red instead of Monterrey red...
Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 PM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009CSR #45
I'd ask the shop that painted it if they used Torch red instead of Monterrey red...
That's what I was thinking, wrong color.

Get notified of new replies

To Acceptable or Unacceptable

Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by purvistechie
That's what I was thinking, wrong color.
Well the did a photo match but they took the photo on the deck lid and of course the side skirts are on the side and at the bottom which is hit differently by the light and even on the car looks darker. I think if they photo shoot it at the lower side at or near the skirt location, it would have a better chance of matching.

Also, the painter said that he can add a few more coats of the pearl and that will make the color darker to improve the match. The paint shop paints a lot of NHRA car bodies, the few that do not wrap, so they are very good at what they do and I am confident they will get it much better.

Plus this time they will have the car there so they can test match after each coat and with each stage of the process. They did not have that before.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Not even close in my opinion.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I voted "no", but since the skirts are positioned at an angle, its hard to determine from the photo if its the angle of the light that makes it look different, or if it is really a color difference.

Quick Reply: Acceptable or Unacceptable