C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my rotors ok?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Are my rotors ok?

Hey guys, so I was on the track again on Sunday and I think I might have damaged my rotors again. The car still stops fine but they look a lot different now and I'm afraid that I might have burned them or something. Can you guys take a look at the picture and tell me if you think something is off?
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
Hey guys, so I was on the track again on Sunday and I think I might have damaged my rotors again. The car still stops fine but they look a lot different now and I'm afraid that I might have burned them or something. Can you guys take a look at the picture and tell me if you think something is off?
Heat

If they aren't scored, and you still have linings left, and there's no signs of cracking between drilled holes they will probably go back to looking normal with a few hundred miles of regular driving

Ed
Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 AM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

So there are definitely no signs of cracks anywhere near the holes. It is slightly scored though, I mean it isn't perfectly smooth but you can only feel the grooves if you run your finger over the rotor. And what do you mean by lining? The pads have tons of life left.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Old Yellow
Pro

So there are definitely no signs of cracks anywhere near the holes. It is slightly scored though, I mean it isn't perfectly smooth but you can only feel the grooves if you run your finger over the rotor. And what do you mean by lining? The pads have tons of life left.
Yeah pads. I'm old, and used to be poor. I used to have to buy relined brake shoes for my raggedy *** cars.

Lining is the friction material bonded to the steel backing pad. Light scoring not a problem.

I guess I'm still poor: Relatively speaking.

Ed
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Unless that pic has a large amount of distortion, it looks like the hole pattern is wrong for J55 rotors.

When you say damaged again, that sounds like these are not OEM. Aftermarket perhaps?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Unless that pic has a large amount of distortion, it looks like the hole pattern is wrong for J55 rotors.

When you say damaged again, that sounds like these are not OEM. Aftermarket perhaps?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:39 AM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Yeah they are aftermarket, I'm not exactly sure of the brand.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

They look glazed from braking I would have them cut if your having problems stopping the car.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Originally Posted by myfunz
They look glazed from braking I would have them cut if your having problems stopping the car.
The car still stops fine but they look a lot different now
From what he said there doesn't seem to be a need. Cutting them down will almost guarantee future track problems.

Ed
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Glazed, no big deal.

Basically you overheated the pads and the resin melted. It's now deposited on the face of the rotor. There are two possible reasons this occurred...

- You're braking on the race track like you do on the street
or
- You're driving at a level where you've exceeded the capability of the pads you are using.

If the former, you need to work on being fast and smooth with brake application and release. You cannot easssssssssssssssssse into braking.

If the latter, you need to buy pads suitable for track usage.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

I am using Hawk HP+ pads which are suppose to be good for track use. When I brake on the track I definitely press harder than I do on the street but I rarely press hard enough to get the ABS to kick in, should I be quickly stabbing the breaks before corner entry? I might not have the right technique here.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

They look like Swiss cheese......
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I am using Hawk HP+ pads which are suppose to be good for track use. When I brake on the track I definitely press harder than I do on the street but I rarely press hard enough to get the ABS to kick in, should I be quickly stabbing the breaks before corner entry? I might not have the right technique here.
HP+ is at best a marginal track pad. Good for a track that is not technical and a driver that is not pushing the car. You need real brake pads.

As far as technique....Fast and smooth on, fast and smooth off. Not an "on/off" switch, but certainly a lot faster application and release than you'd use on the street. No need to get into ABS. Ideally you threshold brake.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Nothing wrong with that rotor. Keep driving it. Even if it has some heat checks it would be still be good for 15K or 20K miles of street driving.

Bill
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
From what he said there doesn't seem to be a need. Cutting them down will almost guarantee future track problems.

Ed
If he tracks the car enough he'll have to go with new rotors and brake pads, nature of the beast. If they are cheap rotors sooner than later.

Get notified of new replies

To Are my rotors ok?

Quick Reply: Are my rotors ok?