C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the benefit and difference in setting my C6 in competetive driving mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,130 Likes on 1,740 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default What is the benefit and difference in setting my C6 in competetive driving mode?

Hit the traction control but by accident today while cleaning the interior when I looked up at the DIC it said COMPETITIVE DRIVING MODE. What does this mean and how is it different then driving with the traction control on mode that I am set on always.Thanks Dave
Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

What it does is decreases the nanny protection you have when driving.As in when you go around a corner a little to fast and the back end begins to slide out then miraculously catches...allows for a little more wheel spin too...
Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 PM
O TAZ
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya what he said LOL , I have been playing around with this for the last few months , I like it ! The wife not crazy about , LOL !!!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:28 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

it means its just one of the steps to more fun!!!! hold that fun button down till it shows all off , and the fun really happens !! but thats just me
Old 08-16-2014, 09:43 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

that button will also allow you to access launch control if you have a stick.....

be careful driving aggressively when you start exploring the fun button because once you're used to the computer nannies these beasts can get away from you in a hurry.....but I encourage everyone to learn their cars capabilities.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,130 Likes on 1,740 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Thanks guys but is competive mode on different from traction control off and how ?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:25 AM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the launch control on competitive driving mode actually real? If so how do i use it?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 AM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Competitive mode will help keep you from losing lateral control. I've found it to be my preferred mode for driving our local mountain twisties...the full control mode is way too intrusive for my liking.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Is the launch control on competitive driving mode actually real? If so how do i use it?
It's real...and it's spectacular!

Depress clutch,rev to 4000 rpm's,dump clutch...hold on and steer.

Thanks guys but is competive mode on different from traction control off and how ?
TC OFF and you will have continuous wheel spin as in little to no traction and if you lose traction, your tires will not attempt to slow the tire down that lost it..competitive mode just allows for a little more burn out capability so to speak.not as intrusive.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 08-17-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Someone on CF explained it this way several years ago:
Turn off Traction Control if you want to burn rubber.
Engage Competive Mode for road racing.
Turn off everything if you own a body shop.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
Someone on CF explained it this way several years ago:
Turn off Traction Control if you want to burn rubber.
Engage Competive Mode for road racing.
Turn off everything if you own a body shop.

yes I run with everything off on the shop cars for autocross...referred to as going full retard, everyone else we get in the cars we run the autocross for them in competitive mode
Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Comp mode will still hinder you if you need to Kart drive the car hard (skate it into a line, and push it hard out to hold the line out).

Think Yaw control,
Being in standard mode, when the back end kicks out, it going to cut power to pull the back end back in. Also, when the tires start to spin, the engine will cut power to keep the tire spin under control

In comp Mode, the back end can kick out a little farther than standard mode, but it will still kill the power to pull the back end back in if the back end gets too far out. As for tire spin straight line control, that has been turned off in comp mode.

In full off, no Yaw control at all, so you can hang the back end out any needed amount to skate it into the needed line with the car in the needed direction, then get back on the fuel to use the back end to push the car through the line that you have it pointed (using over steer to your advantage). The downside to this, if you don't know how to drive a car loose/how to skate it, then don't drive the car with all the nannies turned off.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd driven several road course hpde's with all on until I had the confidence to go into CDM. Once you've done it and actually 'driven' the car you will never run with it all on again. On the track that is, I see no reason to run with anything other than 'all on' for the street.

With regards going 'all off', I reckon you'd be running slower by exceeding the slip angles available in CDM so it is pretty pointless. Unless of course you are either a professional racing driver or you're purposely wanting to hoon around in the car.

It is one of the best bits of the car with respect to track driving in my opinion. GM tuned this pretty good - some might say "it does exactly what it says on the tin!"

If you're running on the road course and regularly seeing 'active handling' messages then you are over driving the car and being flattered by it's intervention. You are probably much slower than you could be too.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:12 AM
tubesteak
Instructor

Originally Posted by *Trip*
that button will also allow you to access launch control if you have a stick.....

be careful driving aggressively when you start exploring the fun button because once you're used to the computer nannies these beasts can get away from you in a hurry.....but I encourage everyone to learn their cars capabilities.
How do you get LAUNCH control on the fun button???

Last edited by tubesteak; 08-19-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 AM
tubesteak
Instructor

I have double clicked {fast}the fun button and it shows Comp / Traction Control all at the same time , anybody have this on their fun button???
Old 08-19-2014, 04:55 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Hit the traction control but by accident today while cleaning the interior when I looked up at the DIC it said COMPETITIVE DRIVING MODE. What does this mean and how is it different then driving with the traction control on mode that I am set on always.Thanks Dave
Got this from the 2007 owners manual. Hold the fun button down for 10 seconds and everythings off.

Competitive Driving Mode
The driver can select this optional handling mode
by pressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button on
the console two times within a five second
time period. COMPETITIVE DRIVING MODE will
be displayed in the DIC. Competitive Driving
Mode allows the driver to have full control of the
rear wheels while the Active Handling System
helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by
selective brake application. This involves less
intervention than with both the Active Handling
System and Traction Control Systems on.
The instrument cluster light will not be on. The
Traction Control System will not be operating.
Adjust your driving accordingly.
When you press the ACTIVE HANDLING button
again, or turn the ignition to Acc., the Active
Handling and Traction Control Systems will be on.
The TRACTION SYSTEM AND ACTIVE
HANDLING-ON message will be displayed
temporarily in the DIC and a chime will be heard.
Notice: When traction control is turned off, or
Competitive Driving Mode is active, it is
possible to lose traction. If you attempt to shift
with the rear wheels spinning with a loss of
traction, it is possible to cause damage to the
transmission. Do not attempt to shift when
the rear wheels do not have traction. Damage
caused by misuse of the vehicle is not
covered. See your warranty book for additional
information.

Last edited by V4kerker; 08-19-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Isn't Launch Control 2010 and up?

Get notified of new replies

To What is the benefit and difference in setting my C6 in competetive driving mode?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Ken Dahl
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Comp mode also allows the dual mode exhaust to go to the "loud" mode about 500 RPMs sooner. (3000 vs. 3500)

I have also noticed that if I upshift and stay with a heavy foot AFTER the flaps open the flaps will STAY open below 3000 RPM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
It's probably been answered but simply put comp mode shuts off traction control and 'relaxes' active handling to allow greater tolerances for sliding the car (such as you'd want on a road course). For 'normal' street driving IMO there's no real benefit to using comp mode...you're better off leaving all the nannies on. They might just help.

Although I can seemingly over-power traction control in certain circumstances, I believe whenever going WOT it's always best to shutoff traction control....you don't want the system fighting your efforts to accelerate? You can always feather the throttle if needed. IMO comp mode is a great learning tool on a road course. Full nanny intervention on a road course can be dangerous IMHO....the car often handles differently than you expect due to the level of intervention. Comp mode provides a good 'balance' of intervention while you learn to drive the car. Eventually, as your comfort level and skills increase, learn to drive with all the nannies shutoff. You can actually run faster lap times with all the nannies shutoff. For instance, when coming out of a curve in comp mode the throttle response is often cut or limited until the attitude of the car straightens out a bit...this really hurts your lap times.

The nannies can be beneficial to use and not to use to certain situations. As always, drive responsibly and be safe.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM
nextchapt
Heel & Toe

Default Is there any indication the nannies are activating?

I'm new to the C6Z and have not tracked a car with any significant nannies. I am doing a HPDE event this weekend (my second since buying the car) and plan to leave the nannies on (as I did the first time I went to the track). I'm not going 10/10ths, but I have read other threads where people mentioned burning the brakes up as the nannies kick in repeatedly. I'm pretty sure I kicked the nannies in at least two times when I was out before (I got on the gas too aggressively coming off of the apex on a low speed corner and got a bit of rotation). There was a lot going on at the time so I missed any buzzes, bells, or other indications that the nannies kicked on. Is there any indication? Does it show in the HUD?

Quick Reply: What is the benefit and difference in setting my C6 in competetive driving mode?