C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why list nav when selling???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Why list nav when selling???

Hi
If the nav is so terrible in the 05 thru 13 why even list it like it is worth something when selling your vette.

I have had my 07 for 4 days and so far my Nav screen looks outdated.

On my to do list is to replace it and make dure what l am replacing it with has a back up camera.

My next question is what do l do with the nav that was replaced? Selli for $25 or just throw it out?

Thanks

Alan
Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Sneed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingman
Hi
My next question is what do l do with the nav that was replaced? Selli for $25 or just throw it out?
You should hang onto it. In the event you sell the car, the new owner may want all the original parts.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I'll buy it from you right now for $25!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Some people like it. I did not, and finally got rid of it. Replaced with a Kenwood unit and could not be happier.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spdkilz911
Some people like it. I did not, and finally got rid of it. Replaced with a Kenwood unit and could not be happier.

Good thought i will keep it in case new buyer wants it for restoration.

Thanks

Alan
Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

I actually and one of the few who have no problem with my Nav. While it is not as user friendly as the portable units, it gets me where I want to go without a map book on my lap. That is all I want from a Nav system.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 08-15-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

A new buyer is not likely to know they don't want it until they experience it in its full glory. By then you have hopefully cashed the check Heck, I'll give you twice your asking price for that nasty old thing...

Seriously, why list a black car knowing some people don't like black cars? Everybody's different.

Last edited by bobeast; 08-15-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:13 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

You list NAV when selling so people know instinctively that it's not a base car because base cars,any make,do not offer nav typically...nav= more money.How it looks is irrelevant when listing the option.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
duplantisjj
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I actually and one of the few who have no problem with my Nav. While it is not as user friendly as the portable units, it gets me where I want to go without a map book on my lap. That is all I want from a Nav system.
I have no issues with the factory Nav system. I don't use it much around town but recently I used it on a 5K mile trip from Louisiana to Montana and had no problems. I have the latest/greatest Garmin in my RV and I don't feel it's much better than the factory C6 Nav. They both get me to my destination without getting me lost. Of course the graphics in the Vette Nav system are a bit dated but it does interact with the HUD system which aftermarket units can't do yet.

If you're thinking of selling, check that auction site. Factory C6 Nav units are selling for $500-700.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Default Need my HUD

Hi

I have had my HUD in my last two vettes and l want my HUD more then
A backup camera.

Alan
Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you considerd that some people will not buy a corvette with Nav?
I factory ordered my 2011 purposely without.
HUD yes - but did not want to overly computerize the driving experience.
Yet I enjoy the having nav in my SUV.
A bit strange maybe - but that's my explanation.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Funny, I have a 2004 Toyota and a 2008 Mazda, both came with nice factory navs that are actually older versions of the same Denso unit in my '13 GS.

So even though it looks outdated I'm used to using it, and I have had no problems with it in any of my cars.

I kind of like it. No way is it as bad as people claim once you get used to it . . . sort of like the C6 interior.

Personally, I do not want the much larger video screens to distract me, like the C7 and so many other new cars are sold with now.

That said, I do own a $99 Garmin which is way better than any factory nav I've ever seen.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Having the HUD interact with the Nav system is the number one reason.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Picked up my 2012 Grand sport with 6300 miles on it last week. Already ordered a new Kenwood from Dennis at Double D Mods. Also adding CMOS220 back up camera. All plug and play. GM radio is not near as good as the aftermarket radios.Only things I will lose is the stations change and count down to next turn while using the GPS info on the HUD. No big loss for me.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cowboy26a
Picked up my 2012 Grand sport with 6300 miles on it last week. Already ordered a new Kenwood from Dennis at Double D Mods. Also adding CMOS220 back up camera. All plug and play. GM radio is not near as good as the aftermarket radios.Only things I will lose is the stations change and count down to next turn while using the GPS info on the HUD. No big loss for me.

Are you saying that you will have gps and hud? Just no play by play?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Are you saying that you will have gps and hud? Just no play by play?

Thanks
If I understand what you are asking, the answer is yes. The only functions you loose with the HUD is the communications between the HUD and the radio. I noticed on the stock nav when you come to the next turn the distance to the next turn ( 2 miles) and a bar graph will appear on the HUD and whenever you change radio stations the station number willl appear. I have never noticed the radio station appearing as I don't pay that much attention to the HUD except when I am playing with the paddle shifters. These two features will be lost but all other HUD features remain. The Garmin nav in the Kenwood acts like any other built in Nav unit. I.E., mutes the radio when the nav is speaking, etc. the bak- camera is worth the swap to me and the better nav is a bonus. Just my 2 cents worth. Pat
P.S. I also have an app on my smartphone the works with garmin navs to stream live weather including weather radar on the nav unit in the car. Very useful when traveling to avoid bad weather.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi
If the nav is so terrible in the 05 thru 13 why even list it like it is worth something when selling your vette.

I have had my 07 for 4 days and so far my Nav screen looks outdated.

On my to do list is to replace it and make dure what l am replacing it with has a back up camera.

Thanks

Alan

hmm, so you're saying you bought a 7 year old car that was designed 10 years ago and the nav looks "outdated".
yeah, that IS a surprise...

either way, when I know where I'm going I don't need a gps either way, when I struggle to find it I'd take ANY gps and for that the factory one w the integration into the hud works just fine.

on top of that I have 3 apps on my iphone for that too, in fact at least googlemaps even works through the factory (09+) Bluetooth to do voice commands through the cars stereo.

Get notified of new replies

To Why list nav when selling???

Old 08-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Originally Posted by edcologne
hmm, so you're saying you bought a 7 year old car that was designed 10 years ago and the nav looks "outdated".
yeah, that IS a surprise...

either way, when I know where I'm going I don't need a gps either way, when I struggle to find it I'd take ANY gps and for that the factory one w the integration into the hud works just fine.

on top of that I have 3 apps on my iphone for that too, in fact at least googlemaps even works through the factory (09+) Bluetooth to do voice commands through the cars stereo.
What happens when you are using google maps or another app on you
Iphone and you get into an area when you don't have phone service . Like areas out west. Are you still able to get directions?

I don't think many people use a GPS when they know where they are going and how to get there.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

If advertising on autotrader, cars.com, etc. it's probably wise to list nav if it's installed. Some buyers will filter searches with that criteria. I did that initially because even though I know a $200-$400 portable is "better" than the factory installed nav, I hate having to keep hiding them and reinstalling them every time I get in and out of the car. Portable GPS's are magnets for thieves, in my opinion.

Ultimately I found what I considered to be a very good deal on the Corvette I bought...that didn't have nav. I plan to use some of the money saved to put a proper double-din nav unit in that will interface with my iPhone/Waze app. I just need some time to designate for the installation.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I changed mine to a kenwood 890hd with rear camera, from DD Mod

Quick Reply: Why list nav when selling???