C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If You're Thinking You Want Non-run flats...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:11 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing
Some of you guys must live in the middle of nowhere. 50 miles to a tire shop? I guess that's one positive to living on Long Island. I can generally find a few shops within 5-10 miles at most
You think they'll be carrying our sizes in stock?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:52 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm not understanding. This can happen to any car that runs standard tires. Are we only making a big deal about this because a vette is a relatively expensive car?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:00 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by bgspot
I'm not understanding. This can happen to any car that runs standard tires. Are we only making a big deal about this because a vette is a relatively expensive car?
Some may be doing just that. Personally, no. My car is very low and I drive it very fast. I do not want a tire failure at speed no matter where I'm at. I've had a couple flats in other cars and the fender got damaged as did the rim. Running RFs gives me peace of mind in case I do get a flat.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

I'll post my opinions of my new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ ZPs after some more miles are on them and I can test them in wet weather on the highway.

However, after a week of local driving I am impressed. The quality of the ride is like night and day compared to the Firestone Wide Oval RFs and original GY Supercar RFs. Dry handling is excellent, but have only been on twisty local roads and not pushed them near limit yet. I'm expecting some degree of compromise.

As the car is used primarily for around town and high speed touring my concern is more about handling on all types of road surfaces/conditions and the security run flats add when travelling. I've had 3 flats in the last 7 years and RFs worked as advertised every time.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
You think they'll be carrying our sizes in stock?
Personally I have an extra front and rear tire in my garage. If I got a flat I'd just get it towed (included in AAA premium) and have the shop swap the tires out. Easy enough
Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 PM
quadblackC6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This what I dont understand. Some of you get non run flats because of performance data n etc. But drive your vettes like ms daisy.

I WOULD NEVER GET NON RUNFLATS FOR MY STREET CAR VETTE.

NEVER WORRY ABOUT A FLAT AGAIN.

recently got a screw in one of my rears. Slow leak, not driving it daily, after a couple of days I was at 10psi. No worries. Just drive to airpump fill it to 32psi, was good for another couple of days, for about 2 weeks until patched. I almost , wanted, not even get it fixed.

with psi monitor n run flats, it's fantastic worry free living. No excuse for a stranded vette because of a flat. Carry a spare? Better practice getting a jack under it. Hope your vettes doesnt get all scrapped up being dragged on a flat bed..

GO RUN FLATS, DESPITE what others say. Tr u st me
Old 08-16-2014, 12:35 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just to update the thread... Discount Tire did get a tire overnight and USAA sent a flatbed to take it to them for the replacement. All I had to pay was the $32 for road hazard on the new tire (which I happily paid for.. WORTH IT!) and some time and frustration. I'm hoping I won't have another flat for a long while now. The Pilot Super Sports are awesome tires when they have air in them... They are very quiet and they have great road feel but the tradeoff is very real when they go flat.

Last edited by glerma; 08-16-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:55 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Run Flats have saved me before also. I love the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT. It's cool having a tire specifically designed for your car as well!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:48 PM
xlchjoe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My "Spares"...

Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 AM
tubesteak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run flats

Sure run flats are nice , but too stiff and noisy, keep a small compressor ans a jack in the Vette now and tire repair kit , no more run flats for me !!! Also have AAA
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had multiple nails in my tires, fixed on driveway then professionally repaired at Discount Tire. I run NON-RUNFLATS. Have a Tire Pressure and a Plug kit JUST in case in my trunk.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car now has 148K miles.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm in the process of pricing tires right now and debating going to non-rf.
I think this thread helped me decide on runflats after all.

Thinking about the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I would be nervous to travel anywhere out of town if I did not have run flats. when I replace my GY I will go with Michelin's! I had them on my 07 and like them.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 PM
VettenDog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
I'll post my opinions of my new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ ZPs after some more miles are on them and I can test them in wet weather on the highway.

However, after a week of local driving I am impressed. The quality of the ride is like night and day compared to the Firestone Wide Oval RFs and original GY Supercar RFs. Dry handling is excellent, but have only been on twisty local roads and not pushed them near limit yet. I'm expecting some degree of compromise.

As the car is used primarily for around town and high speed touring my concern is more about handling on all types of road surfaces/conditions and the security run flats add when travelling. I've had 3 flats in the last 7 years and RFs worked as advertised every time.
Hey Scruff Vette, Please update us on your Michelins. You seem to have had experience with the popular tires listed on this thread and I would value your opinion. I will be looking for tires later this year.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Originally Posted by tubesteak
Sure run flats are nice , but too stiff and noisy, keep a small compressor ans a jack in the Vette now and tire repair kit , no more run flats for me !!! Also have AAA
I do not disagree, each to his own but for me I didn't buy mine for a cushy ride nor its quietness. I am sure that the non run flats improve the ride somewhat but I've never found the ride to be uncomfortable or noisy. And BTW I have AAA.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Just so AAA isn't the only game in town mentioned here I'd like to say Good Sam has a good towing service and RVRoadhelp (Allstate) has a great towing service. They'll tow anything you're riding or driving to wherever you have to go to get repaired...Period. No extra charges.

In central WA about 60 miles SW of Coulee Dam I had a rear flat on a motorcycle that had a hole too big to plug or patch. I called RV and their nearest flatbed was another 60 miles to the SW. I told them I had a room booked in Coulee Dam and should be able to find a replacement tire the next morning. So, the first day they drove 240+ miles to take me 60 miles to my motel. I spent the next morning trying to find a tire within a hundred miles without success so I called RV again. Coulee Dam didn't even have one taxi cab! Turns out the nearest tire to fit my 79 CBX was 106 miles away in Idaho! RV dispatched a flatbed from ID and they drove another 200+ miles to get me where I had to go to get repaired. Good company!

Get notified of new replies

To If You're Thinking You Want Non-run flats...

Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Wow, that's good to hear how they treated you!

Is this a stand-alone service? or is it part of an insurance policy? I've heard of them, but it was decades ago, and I thought it only covered RVs.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:38 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
I'm in the process of pricing tires right now and debating going to non-rf.
I think this thread helped me decide on runflats after all.

Thinking about the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP.
^^ This is a great tire.
On my C6Z06 I've used:
OEM GY RF
PS2 ZP twice
NT05 non-RF
PSS non-RF (hey, it's good enough for the c7..)

I have 30K on my car. The PS2's are really good but the PSS are better in colder temp and on track cold and also last longer. The PS2 are super sticky and good in rain. I think the PS2 are a bit better at temp on track, but wear quickly at temp.. The PSS seem to last a long time. PS2's have about 12 heat cycles in them.

Can't go wrong with Michelin, imho.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by owc6
Wow, that's good to hear how they treated you!

Is this a stand-alone service? or is it part of an insurance policy? I've heard of them, but it was decades ago, and I thought it only covered RVs.
Absolutely. I have Nationwide insurance for the Vette and my bikes. Motorcycles are RVs. That's how I initially found them. I had AAA+ for my car and MTS for my bikes. Both had towing 'limits' and together cost about twice what RV did. You also get a discount at KOAs

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvresources/rvroadhelp/

Quick Reply: If You're Thinking You Want Non-run flats...