C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C In Vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:57 PM
rcjays
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C In Vert

Is there any problem with running the A/C with the top down? On real hot days it seems a lot cooler if I run the A/C and just let the cool air flow up out of the car. I also run the heater when it is cold. I like my comfort! Do others do the same. I also raise the windows if necessary to control the comfort level. I know some frown on having the windows up and the top down! Just want to follow Vette etiquette! JDA
Old 08-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Aggie76
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjays
Is there any problem with running the A/C with the top down? On real hot days it seems a lot cooler if I run the A/C and just let the cool air flow up out of the car. I also run the heater when it is cold. I like my comfort! Do others do the same. I also raise the windows if necessary to control the comfort level. I know some frown on having the windows up and the top down! Just want to follow Vette etiquette! JDA
We do exactly the same; mainly on the passenger side where my spouse is more sensitive to outside temps and than I am. Rare to run a/c but we've done it a couple times. Might run it more now that I've installed the Windrestrictor to reduce wind in the cockpit.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:51 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have run the A/C with the top down, usually when the temp goes over 90 degrees. Haven't had the Vette in winter months yet but I'm sure I'll use the heater and seat warmers with the top down.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:02 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I run it whenever I want to. I've also learned that running it in re circulation mode helps remove the heat from the foot wells.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:04 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I live in Tucson and leave the AC in auto setting pretty much all the time with the top down when it is hot or cold outside. The computer changes the fan speeds automatically to compensate for the top being down. If it didn't adjust the fan would be running at full speed constantly when the weather is hot and the top is down.

The AC actually works quite well with the top down and when the temps are in the 90's and low 100's. Makes sitting at a stop sign surprisingly cool and comfortable.

As far as driving any of my vettes with the top down and windows up I have owned 20 vette converts and been driving them since I was 17 and never have driven with the windows up and the top down even one time. That includes many long trips on the freeway with the top down. The only people that I see do that here in Tucson are little old ladies in their Mercedes SLK's.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, your comfortable, but your engine is not. your oil temps skyrocket among other things. your throwing extra heat into your cooling system. but i guess engines are cheap for you..........
Old 08-10-2014, 05:27 PM
slapshot12
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

We do it too.....
Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Norskie
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, we do it too. Also drive with the windows up if we want to. Our car so we do whatever we feel like doing with it. I couldn't care less what others think about it. I've had convertibles off and on since 1965 and never been concerned with what others think. If I concerned myself with what other people thought, I never would have bought a convertible in the north country.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by cranky
yes, your comfortable, but your engine is not. your oil temps skyrocket among other things. your throwing extra heat into your cooling system. but i guess engines are cheap for you..........
Nah it ain't. It doesn't run any hotter either way. I've done it for years without any overheating problems.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I haven't done it myself but there's nothing wrong with it. I have found that it doesn't make much difference at 80mph and that's about the only time I am in 100 degree temps. Use the A/C whenever you want, the car is designed to be fine with it and it's your car.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I can't recall having it in auto mode, but I do use it a lot of the time with the top down. That way, I can adjust fan, temp, etc. Yeh, probably does nothing at speed, but it's all psychological: I "feel" cooler even tho I may not be. Kinda like my car is always quicker just after a wash, but really fast after a polish.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:34 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

Did it today as a matter of fact. And sometimes I use the heat with the top down. Depends on the outside temp. But it won't hurt a thing.
But I sure wish they would have put AIR CONDITIONED SEATS in these things.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
But I sure wish they would have put AIR CONDITIONED SEATS in these things.
That would be nice at 100 degrees and 80mph.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Air conditioned seats and that 'Air Scarf' thing Mercedes has in their head-rests would be great.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjays
Is there any problem with running the A/C with the top down? JDA
I don't know, is there any problem setting your house A/C at 60° when it's 90° outside and then opening all the doors and windows of the house or setting your house furnace at 80° when it's 0° outside and then opening all the doors and windows in the house?

Other than extreme wear and tear on the A/C, Heat and fan units and the foolishness of trying to heat or cool the outside there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by haljensen
Other than extreme wear and tear on the A/C, Heat and fan units and the foolishness of trying to heat or cool the outside there's nothing wrong with it.
Hal: Most of your posts are right on, but I have to disagree with this one. "Extreme wear and tear"? Nah, the heat and a/c systems are designed to be used, nothing extreme about it. "Foolishness of trying to heat or cool the outside"? But this is actually not what you're doing - the system maintains a comfortable pocket of air within the passenger compartment, which is not at all foolish if it lets you enjoy your vert. Sure, some air spills out, but so what?

If I only drove with the top down when neither heat nor cooling were needed in order to be comfortable here in Pittsburgh, it would get used about four weeks a year. That's not why I bought it.

I bet more C6 a/c systems quit because the seals fail due to lack of use than due to overuse.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Hal: Most of your posts are right on, but I have to disagree with this one. "Extreme wear and tear"? Nah, the heat and a/c systems are designed to be used, nothing extreme about it. "Foolishness of trying to heat or cool the outside"? But this is actually not what you're doing - the system maintains a comfortable pocket of air within the passenger compartment, which is not at all foolish if it lets you enjoy your vert. Sure, some air spills out, but so what?

If I only drove with the top down when neither heat nor cooling were needed in order to be comfortable here in Pittsburgh, it would get used about four weeks a year. That's not why I bought it.

I bet more C6 a/c systems quit because the seals fail due to lack of use than due to overuse.
I think the analogy of doing the same for your house is pretty accurate. You are trying to condition outside air. The cars A/C and Heat is designed for the small enclosed area of the car, not the infinite area of the outside. If the additional wear and tear on the systems doesn't bother you then it's not a problem.

The seal failure has pretty much disappeared since car manufactuers started using the A/C with the defrost cycle, that way the refrigerant and oil get cycled a few times during cold weather.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C In Vert

Old 08-11-2014, 12:03 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
I don't know, is there any problem setting your house A/C at 60° when it's 90° outside and then opening all the doors and windows of the house or setting your house furnace at 80° when it's 0° outside and then opening all the doors and windows in the house?

So you never run the AC or heat when you have the top down on your corvette convert?

I have owned 20 vette converts and been driving them since I was 17 and have always done that if the conditions dictated it even when they didn't have AC I ran the vent fan when it was hot out.

I have been doing that for over 30 years here in Tucson. The last two vette converts I sold had 95k and 105k on them when they were sold and never had any problem with the fans or AC systems. My 2007 convert will turn 8 years old in October and no problems ever with that one and always have left the control in automatic setting.

I leave the control on automatic and let the computer make the adjustments when the top is down or up. GM made provisions in the controls software to work properly for both situations just like they did with the radio volume that automatically adjusts based on if the top is down or up and the speed of the car.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
So you never run the AC or heat when you have the top down on your corvette convert?

I have owned 20 vette converts and been driving them since I was 17 and have always done that if the conditions dictated it even when they didn't have AC I ran the vent fan when it was hot out.

I have been doing that for over 30 years here in Tucson. The last two vette converts I sold had 95k and 105k on them when they were sold and never had any problem with the fans or AC systems. My 2007 convert will turn 8 years old in October and no problems ever with that one and always have left the control in automatic setting.

I leave the control on automatic and let the computer make the adjustments when the top is down or up. GM made provisions in the controls software to work properly for both situations just like they did with the radio volume that automatically adjusts based on if the top is down or up and the speed of the car.
I do the same thing. Down in south Georgia you will bake with the top down and AC off. Sure feels good when you keep it on and come to a stop...nice cool air blowing on you
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM
rcjays
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started this thread and I thank everyone for their input. Most everyone was on track and had good info. It appears that most run the A/c if needed. I disagree with the person who said the temps skyrocket with the A/C on. I have monitored the temps, both oil and water and I don't see much change. Aa\s one reply said, the car is built to run the A/C. If it weren't how could we ever keep cool in the hot weather. Drive real fast with the window open. Thanks, JDa

Quick Reply: A/C In Vert