C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C In Vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Hal: Most of your posts are right on, but I have to disagree with this one. "Extreme wear and tear"? Nah, the heat and a/c systems are designed to be used, nothing extreme about it. "Foolishness of trying to heat or cool the outside"? But this is actually not what you're doing - the system maintains a comfortable pocket of air within the passenger compartment, which is not at all foolish if it lets you enjoy your vert. Sure, some air spills out, but so what?

If I only drove with the top down when neither heat nor cooling were needed in order to be comfortable here in Pittsburgh, it would get used about four weeks a year. That's not why I bought it.

I bet more C6 a/c systems quit because the seals fail due to lack of use than due to overuse.
never drive with top up so it requires A/C to be comfortable.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
I don't know, is there any problem setting your house A/C at 60° when it's 90° outside and then opening all the doors and windows of the house or setting your house furnace at 80° when it's 0° outside and then opening all the doors and windows in the house?

Other than extreme wear and tear on the A/C, Heat and fan units and the foolishness of trying to heat or cool the outside there's nothing wrong with it.
Here is how I look at it. If the top was up, I would be running the a/c. So running it with the top down isn't that much worse. Maybe a little, but it makes me comfortable. If I was so worried about wear and tear on my car, I would never use it.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I run with the AC on set to auto and set the temperature control a few degrees below ambient air temp. I once ordered a convertible without air conditioning, that was a mistake. I normally don't put the top down if the air temperature is below 75 F. I have returned at night with the heater on though. The C7 auto top allows for more frequent top cycles, nothing to do but push the button, no latching and can actually operate up to 30 MPH.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:44 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Here is how I look at it. If the top was up, I would be running the a/c. So running it with the top down isn't that much worse. Maybe a little, but it makes me comfortable. If I was so worried about wear and tear on my car, I would never use it.
Hint: the A/C does not know if the top is up or down...it just does what it's designed to do...it's the same "wear and tear" either way.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Hint: the A/C does not know if the top is up or down...it just does what it's designed to do...it's the same "wear and tear" either way.
But the A/C "knows" the temp of the air it's trying to cool. Recirculate cabin air thats in the upper 70's or fresh humid outside air that's in the 90's? The A/C compressor is a pump thats run by the engine, run the pump harder or longer and it wears faster and cost fuel. Want to pay your electric bill with the A/C on and all the doors and windows open?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

But the A/C "knows" the temp of the air it's trying to cool. Recirculate cabin air thats in the upper 70's or fresh humid outside air that's in the 90's? The A/C compressor is a pump thats run by the engine, run the pump harder or longer and it wears faster and cost fuel. Want to pay your electric bill with the A/C on and all the doors and windows open?
I had asked before if you ever have run the AC on your vette convert when the top is down but you never responded.

As I said earlier the GM software that controls the climate control on the C6 was designed to change the way the fan circulation system operates when the top is down from when it is up. The system was designed by GM to function properly with the top down. It would be no difference in wear on the compressor either way, it functions the same no matter what the temp outside is or if the top is up or down, the only thing that varies is the fan control.

I have been running the AC and heat on my vette converts for decades and never have ever had to repair any fan or AC component and some of my converts had over 100k miles on them when I sold them. I kept my 86 pace car convert for 18 years and ran the AC all the time with the top down and the car still had the original compressor and circulating fan and both were still working fine when the car was sold.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:15 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

But the A/C "knows" the temp of the air it's trying to cool. Recirculate cabin air that's in the upper 70's or fresh humid outside air that's in the 90's? The A/C compressor is a pump that's run by the engine, run the pump harder or longer and it wears faster and cost fuel. Want to pay your electric bill with the A/C on and all the doors and windows open?
If you have it set at 60 it (compressor) runs all the time. In fact, it runs all the time when you set it at 75. Automotive A/C adjusts the temp by adding warm air from the heater system when you have a temp set above the "60" level. The compressor will "cycle" on and off but if you pay attention it is for a very short time period. It's never a "closed" system even if you have it on "recirculate" and set the temp above 60 it will use warm air (water) from the cooling system to maintain that temp.

Residential A/C on the other hand is completely different "closed" system. It does not add heat to temper the air and utilizes the thermostat to run until the ambient temp is reached via the thermostat, then shuts off until the temp drops to a programed level and then starts again.

Totally different concepts.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=RJRSW;1587576105]
As I said earlier the GM software that controls the climate control on the C6 was designed to change the way the fan circulation system operates when the top is down from when it is up.

It does? That's news to me.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I think the analogy of doing the same for your house is pretty accurate. You are trying to condition outside air. The cars A/C and Heat is designed for the small enclosed area of the car, not the infinite area of the outside. If the additional wear and tear on the systems doesn't bother you then it's not a problem.

The seal failure has pretty much disappeared since car manufactuers started using the A/C with the defrost cycle, that way the refrigerant and oil get cycled a few times during cold weather.

Says the guy driving a coupe. You're not really trying to cool the whole out of doors when you do this hal. It just blows the cool air over the driver, and passenger that helps considerably when it's hot. That's all.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=Joe B.;1587579592]
Originally Posted by RJRSW
As I said earlier the GM software that controls the climate control on the C6 was designed to change the way the fan circulation system operates when the top is down from when it is up.

It does? That's news to me.
It does as long as you leave the setting in Auto mode.

Did you also notice that when you put the top down the radio volume and navigation prompt volume also change and as your speed increases the volume also increases and decreases as you slow and come to a stop?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:35 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I do it all the time. It would be nice if the seats had the ability to cool.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:52 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 vert. I rarely drive it with top up. It is stored in winter. I use a/c, heat and heated seats depending on temps. I never drive it with windows up. I bought it to enjoy with top down. I really like the look of a C6 with top down.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:20 AM
donzi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the AC and heat with the top down (depending on the temps)
I also drive with the windows up on the highway. More concerned with
MY comfort than the Corvette etiquette police.
Also wear black socks with my shorts. Sorry don't own white socks..Ed
Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by donzi1
I use the AC and heat with the top down (depending on the temps)
I also drive with the windows up on the highway. More concerned with
MY comfort than the Corvette etiquette police.
Also wear black socks with my shorts. Sorry don't own white socks..Ed
But white socks before Easter is considered the correct usage of said socks. Head to Wally World today with your top down, the A/C on, and get with the program Ed.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 PM
donzi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
But white socks before Easter is considered the correct usage of said socks. Head to Wally World today with your top down, the A/C on, and get with the program Ed.
So true, on another site they even posted pics of me with my black socks
Does that mean I can't buy a red truck to tow my yellow boat? ..Ed
Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by donzi1
So true, on another site they even posted pics of me with my black socks
Does that mean I can't buy a red truck to tow my yellow boat? ..Ed
Well you can get a C7 in Yellow w/Red interior if you wish ( and it looks pretty dang good if one ask me). So, I guess the red truck/yellow boat scenario isn't that far fetched.

Quick Reply: A/C In Vert