C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reprogrammed Key FOB and Original doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM
corvette468
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogrammed Key FOB and Original doesn't work

Any help is much appreciated.

I have a 2010 Chevy Corvette. I reprogrammed a 3rd key FOB last night because I lost the 1st one. So I still have the original 2nd FOB, which was present as instructed by the book during the reprogramming of FOB 3. After about 20 minutes, we successfully programmed FOB 3. When I got up this morning to go to work, the original FOB did not function! Car did not unlock and none of the buttons on the FOB worked?

So I went in to get the "FOB 3" that we programmed to the car and that functioned fine.

Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. Why would the original FOB not work? Do I need to reprogram that now? But then will it reprogram as the original number FOB or will it reprogram as #4 FOB and that would be my last shot at reprogramming and then FOB 3 may not stay programmed and I am stuck there with one working FOB and I was told you can't program more than 4 FOB's in which case I would probably have to take it to the dealer.

ANYBODY have any comments or experience, please let me know. I love my car but this is getting frustrating.

Hopefully I explained this correctly and it's not too confusing.

Thanks for any help,

Erik
Old 08-08-2014, 11:15 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

The car only recognizes 2 fobs,try the long programming instructions on the one not working correctly...
Old 08-08-2014, 12:25 PM
corvette468
5th Gear

Default Thanks....

OK, thanks. The manual says it takes up to 4 FOBS. I just saw a FOB checklist on here to determine whats wrong with it, I will probably try that and then try the long programming instructions, thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:41 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
The car only recognizes 2 fobs,try the long programming instructions on the one not working correctly...
It will recognize 4 fobs but only #1 & 2 will have memory preferences stored for them.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:43 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette468
OK, thanks. The manual says it takes up to 4 FOBS. I just saw a FOB checklist on here to determine whats wrong with it, I will probably try that and then try the long programming instructions, thanks.
Did you try to start the car with the original fob? Did you get a "No Fob Detected" message? Its possible the battery needs to be replaced.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Which method did you use? there is an add a FOB method and a long method which wipes out all and you have to reprogram them all.
Sounds like you may have done the long method and erased Fob 1

Also, the car does recognise up to 4 Fobs, as mentioned 1 and 2 will only work with memory settings. Also if you do the long method as I said you will have to reprogram all of them again.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 PM
corvette468
5th Gear

I could not even get into the car with that FOB so no I did not try and start it, had to get to work, it wouldn't unlock with the buttons or automatically. So just grabbed the other one and headed to work.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I guess that's why you are supposed to proof read, I meant what the other guys said lol... Good luck
Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM
corvette468
5th Gear

Default Used short method

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Which method did you use? there is an add a FOB method and a long method which wipes out all and you have to reprogram them all.
Sounds like you may have done the long method and erased Fob 1

Also, the car does recognise up to 4 Fobs, as mentioned 1 and 2 will only work with memory settings. Also if you do the long method as I said you will have to reprogram all of them again.
I used the "short" method, where you have to have one present while reprogramming the other one. So I added a FOB. While programming it said programming FOB 3, so it shouldn't have erased the other one? I am reluctant to reprogram both of them because then I am worried about having no FOB that works after what just happen to me. But I may have to do that in the long run anyway,

Thanks a lot....
Old 08-08-2014, 01:27 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvette468
I used the "short" method, where you have to have one present while reprogramming the other one. So I added a FOB. While programming it said programming FOB 3, so it shouldn't have erased the other one? I am reluctant to reprogram both of them because then I am worried about having no FOB that works after what just happen to me. But I may have to do that in the long run anyway,

Thanks a lot....
Right, adding Fob 3 shouldn't erase Fob 1. The only other option if you are hesitant to do the long method would be to take to the Dealer and let them do it with their tool.
Will probably charge you $100. I have done the long method on mine when I switched to the 08 up fob style and it worked fine.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM
corvette468
5th Gear

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Right, adding Fob 3 shouldn't erase Fob 1. The only other option if you are hesitant to do the long method would be to take to the Dealer and let them do it with their tool.
Will probably charge you $100. I have done the long method on mine when I switched to the 08 up fob style and it worked fine.
OK, thanks. I will probably try the short method for the non working FOB, hopefully it won't go to programming FOB 4. If that doesn't work, I'll reprogram the long way. It helps that I hear you have used it and didn't have a problem.

Thank you for the info, this seems like a great site....

Get notified of new replies

To Reprogrammed Key FOB and Original doesn't work

Quick Reply: Reprogrammed Key FOB and Original doesn't work