C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Wrathen
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?

So my birthday is the end January and wife says its about time for me to get a new car!! Been driving a 08 BMW 328i sedan and miss driving a sports car (used to have an 06 Mustang GT).

So I havent driven anything yet and the Mustang isnt even out yet but what are peoples opinion on a C6 vs 2015 MustangGT? (I know this is a vette forum so I feel its going to lean that way ). Budget is going to be $30-32k'ish in cash and $10k'ish in trade (or sell BMW first), so a total of around $40k'ish. I was hoping to get a C6 GS maybe a 2012/13 if I can.... or my other option would be a 2015 Mustang GT PP. Also open to other suggestions of cars I thought about a BMW e92 M3 or CaymanS but dont want to deal with higher maintenance costs and heaven forbid anything break.

My wife really likes the Mustang idea because of the new car and warranty (she is always afraid something is going to go wrong). Through my work I also get Ford Xplan so deal would be easy pricing it out on Ford's website without the Xplan the Mustang I would like was like $41k. We dont have kids and are both fixed and wont be having kids so the extra seats for the Mustang arent an issue, it would be a shelf for stuff.

As I said I havent gotten to drive a C6 yet but my concern is coming from a BMW with Premium & Sport packages that the interior might be an issue. I have always heard how some people say the interior is not that great.

Other thing I would like thoughts on is maintenance. What would you say the average maintenance costs are on a 2010+ C6 GS run. I'm not afraid of doing things myself like oil/brakes/ect. My dad and I worked through doing a valve job on my wife's old Civic back 4 or 5 years ago, so some bigger projects I dont mind ether.

Last question. When it comes time to look for a C6 if I go that way (which if you cant tell I'm leaning) what are things should I look for? I'm used to heated seats so I heard you have to get 3LT/4LT package to get it. I also like the idea of HUD but I havent ever had a car with it. It would have to be a manual no matter what I get. What options should I look for and what should I try and avoid.

Thank you for your opinions and advice in advance.
-Phillip
Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 PM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

C6 without question !!!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Really your asking this on the Corvette Forum, did you happen to ask the same question on the Mustang Forum too.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:46 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

Idk man, the new GT is going to be one hell of a car, Its being benchmarked againset M3's and what not, Test drive one before you pull the trigger on the C6
Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
Idk man, the new GT is going to be one hell of a car, Its being benchmarked againset M3's and what not, Test drive one before you pull the trigger on the C6
plus...even tho the c6 gs is **** the c6 body style is looking dated as the months go by.
oh and do yourself a favor. hop over to the corral and search, read and ask questions without mentioning c6 vs 15 stang....you'll get more of what you're looking for without starting a pissing match.
good luck!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Wrathen
Navigator

Like I said I'm really leaning for the C6. I joined the forums many months ago and have been lerking and reading for months. I dont think I have been to any mustang forums so no I didnt post over there and not trying to stir up anything or cause drama.

I was really hoping on some thoughts about it. as well as really wanting to konw about the maintenance as well as options and things I should look for when I start for my search.

Last edited by Wrathen; 07-31-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
plus...even tho the c6 gs is **** the c6 body style is looking dated as the months go by.
oh and do yourself a favor. hop over to the corral and search, read and ask questions without mentioning c6 vs 15 stang....you'll get more of what you're looking for without starting a pissing match.
good luck!
Speak for yourself, I couldn't disagree more.

I would advise you to test drive both. Then, weigh your options. How much do you care about it being new and having a warranty? Which one was more comfortable (if that even matters)? Which one handled more to your liking? Which one looks better TO YOU?

Only you can say. I personally haven't driven a GT, so I can't give you any meaningful advice.

Either way, good luck with your purchase! Post some pics here if you get a 'Vette or in the other cars section if you get something else! I can appreciate any kind of car.

Last edited by Crabbers; 07-31-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

A Mustang is not a sports car.

A Corvette is a sports car.

Buy a Corvette.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Wrathen
C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?
Depends on weather you want to turn heads or just blend in...
Old 07-31-2014, 03:40 PM
HarleyEarl1953
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2013 C6 M6 Coupe almost three weeks ago. Similar situation to you, in that I wanted something with the warranty and I was pretty equal to you on the financials of the deal. I traded my 2007 Acura TL for $8,500 and got the C6 as a CPO with 5,500 miles on it at roughly $40k...it leaves me with 3 more years of bumper to bumper since the CPO added an extra year.

I debated a GS and probably could have gotten into one at that price point. However, I love my coupe and it was exactly what I was looking for. The LS3 is a workhorse of an engine, and I have never looked back. I'm not saying the GT wouldn't be a fun car, but I don't think it would be in the ballpark of fun that the C6 is. Plus, the GT doesn't come close to catching the looks that you get with a C6.

Just my $0.02, but go with the C6...with your budget, you can find whatever you'd like and you'll be grinning ear to ear as you pull away with it!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:41 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
A Mustang is not a sports car.

A Corvette is a sports car.

Buy a Corvette.
Yep. And if he buys a Mustang, at the end of the day he still has a Mustang. It's more comparable to a Camaro. I don't like either one of them, but that's just personal opinion. Plus, there are just too many Mustangs around, and not that many Corvettes.

I don't think our interior looks all that bad, and especially if he gets an LT 3 or 4. One or both of them even have a leather dash. Nor do I think the C6 look is getting dated. I saw another C7 today, red with black wheels, and it's just too flashy for me. I don't think I'll ever get one.

If I was the OP, I'd go with a good low mileage Corvette, and I think he'll be pleased down the road. If he gets one new enough, or a Certified Pre-Owned one, he'll have a full two year warranty anyway, plus free oil changes. That's what I did.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

One more thing I forgot to mention. You're paying for the depreciation on the Mustang. Things like that don't matter to me because I don't buy cars to resell, I buy them to enjoy. BUT if you're looking to sell it later, keep that in mind
Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
good luck!
The C6 is looking outdated? What do you base that on, other than your own opinion. I totally disagree.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I suggest you drive them both then decide.

That said, I love my C6 as a DD. Easy on the pocket book except for tires.

Never owned a Mustang and prolly never will. Not that impressed with them. JMHO
Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went from a modded 2012 5.0 to a 2011 Grand Sport and never regretted the decision. A good amount of suspension work will be needed on the mustang to get a "similar" feel to the corvette. Corvette feels like a better quality build and much easier to control/launch. If you want a manual, the mustangs are known for problems with the MT-82, although mine never had an issue. The corvette just feels faster and is much more fun to drive. I don't think maintenance is overly expensive on either vehicle. For comparison purposes I had a base GT with the Brembo packagethat I purchased brand knew for around $30k after rebates. Spent another ~$8k on suspension, bolt-on's, tune, gears, rims/tires etc vs. ~$40k for a used 2011 GS with 23k miles 3lt (OZ racing wheels 20/19 set up with 285/345 tires, exhaust & intake) and there is a significant improvement in drive-ability, handling, and power at highway speeds IMO
Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I drove a 2014 Mustang GT convertible in march for a week - its a nice car - I know its not the 2015 but it is as close as I can get.
It is not my GS.
I get way more looks in the GS, better gas mileage by about 8 MPG, it just makes me happy!
Drive both - you have some time on your side - don't rush the deal - one of the 2 will float to the surface.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:03 PM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I owned several Mustangs over the years and the C6 is the best purchase I've ever made.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,377 Likes on 831 Posts

The C6 is in a different league... the 'Stang is a nice muscle car; the C6 is a true sports car and is much better engineered & built.

Maintenance, etc is easy and cheap on both if you are comfortable spinning your own wrenches.

As a daily driver: We have 5(!) people at work here who daily drive C5 and C6's; including a C6 Zo6. No issues!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:15 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
The C6 is looking outdated? What do you base that on, other than your own opinion. I totally disagree.
just MY opinion and it's ok for you to disagree if YOUR opinion is the opposite. uh...but maybe YOU think YOUR opinion matters more than mine.

Speak for yourself, I couldn't disagree more.
I did...at least I thought I did. and yep...its ok for you to disagree.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM
miscstudent
Instructor

Originally Posted by acroy
The C6 is in a different league... the 'Stang is a nice muscle car; the C6 is a true sports car and is much better engineered & built.

Maintenance, etc is easy and cheap on both if you are comfortable spinning your own wrenches.

As a daily driver: We have 5(!) people at work here who daily drive C5 and C6's; including a C6 Zo6. No issues!
I agree with this statement. They're fundamentally different classes of car. I've driven a 2012 GT and I wasn't impressed with the transmission or handling because I like that low-to-the-ground-lots-of-grip feeling. Corvettes are great as a daily driver and get 18-20 mpg even in traffic if you don't have a lead foot. Maintenance on Corvettes is fantastic for a sports car and the engines are practically bullet proof.

There's another consideration though and that is the fact that the Mustang has back seats. If you find yourself hauling people (friends, family, dog) around a lot then that might be the more practical choice. However the nice part of not having back seats in a corvette is you never get asked to DD or drive for a group of friends. Again it's all a matter of what you need and are looking for.

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?