C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high speed shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default high speed shimmy

So i lowered the car all the way on the stock bolts and went so a drive today. I defiantly sets more level but i believe it doesn't have the down force at high speeds because at higher than normal speeds it felt loose and not as planted to the ground. Should i raise the rear up a half in or would that little adjustment even help? Not that i drive that fast all the time but it made me wonder if that small amount i lowered the car would have it loose at high speed
Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably need an alignment since you lowered the car.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by gp56
Probably need an alignment since you lowered the car.

And have the car corner balanced. The main function of the 'lowering' bolts.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Your alignment needs to be redone now that you changed the car's height. Also, the car is designed to have a natural small rake. So you need to lower both front and rear by same amount to preserve the factory rake. Height specs will be found in the GM shop manual for the car. A good alignment shop will have that information also. Ideally, a 4-corner balance should be performed.

Last edited by SUB VETTE; 07-30-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help. I just lowered all 4 of them all the way thinking that it wont need an alignment since one wasnt higher than the other.. Live and learn. What is a corner balance exactly?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry07dx
Thanks for the help. I just lowered all 4 of them all the way thinking that it wont need an alignment since one wasnt higher than the other.. Live and learn. What is a corner balance exactly?
It's when each tire on the car carries the proper proportion of the total vehicle weight. Think of a wobbly 4 legged table in a restaurant. Two of those legs are supporting the whole table more than they should be. Cornerweighting is making the car balanced with no tire carrying a disproportionate amount of the weight. You should have it balanced with the weight of the driver in the driver's seat.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

First mistake was doing this without rely knowing what it is going to do. We all do things we should not do. I have done my share. Your alignment needs to be redone now that you changed the car's height and all the suspension geometry that goes with it. Also, the car is designed to have a natural small rake withe rear higher. If you do not have this your gas tanks will not function properly. This can also play havoc with you active handling and a few other systems. If you are not tracking this car you are better off with the factory settings it will save you many headaches and wtf's.....

Its your car and there plenty of people on here who have done this even to the point of cutting bushings, I would rather drive mine that have to figure out why it is driving and handling poorly. There are engineers that spend an enormous amount of time and money working on these suspensions. Ride heights are they are the way thay are because there safe for the street. Dont mess your car up trying to be cool. JMHO

Get notified of new replies

To high speed shimmy

Quick Reply: high speed shimmy