C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vanity mirror fixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Default Vanity mirror fixed

I read several post about the poor design of the hinges on the vanity mirror. Many have reported broken hinges. The driver side in my 2006 broke about two years ago. Only one of the two broke so the lights would still shut off when the lid Was shut. I did notice today that if both hinges were to break the switch button could still function when the visor is folded up in the normal position even if the entire lid comes off.

Today I fixed the one broken hinge on mine. Here how.

I determined that I had to get the vanity mirror out of the visor. I did this by using a nail file to slowly and carefully pry the assembly out of the visor. There are several tabs that will snap but you can use super glue to reinstall.

Then you need to separate the lid from the assembly, play with it a while and you will see how to snap apart. I did it by prying the hinge clip up off the assy while rotating the hinge up and away from the mirror.

Normal hinge reinforced with jenn weld epoxy

I used part of a small nail as the new hinge pin.

Drilled out one side of broken hinge and hollowed out the other side into a saddle to hold the new pin. Both sides with jenn weld epoxy shown.

The hinge clip

Side view of hinge clip

Showing hinge clips on the lid hinge pins so you can see how they fit. Not final assembly.

Careful here, too much pulling and twisting and you will break a wire, ask me how I know!

Note how the hinge clip fits into the body of the mirror assy withe the edge just sitting on the back of the mirror itself.

Hinge clip reinstalled, very difficult but doable.

Finally got the lid back under the clip, not fun.

Another view properly installed before gluing the entire assy back into the visor.

Last edited by AmmoVet; 07-29-2014 at 09:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmmoVet:
Landru (10-18-2018), mracer (10-15-2018)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Both mirrors in my 06 Vert squeak like hell and still squeak after I oiled them. I slowly excercised them as I carefully soaked the hinges but to no avail. Plastic pin and plastic hinges is what we get. None of my previous cars had squeaky mirror covers.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Both mirrors in my 06 Vert squeak like hell and still squeak after I oiled them. I slowly excercised them as I carefully soaked the hinges but to no avail. Plastic pin and plastic hinges is what we get. None of my previous cars had squeaky mirror covers.
Plastic hinge pin and metal hinge clip! Bad combo any way you look at it. And I agree they are too tight and bound to fail.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 AM
tacos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took the bulbs out and threw the lids in the compartment in the back. I never use the mirrors, and in my last car (a miata) I took the whole visors out. I've never used them in a sports car. The roof is low enough on its own.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:21 PM
NOLAVette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife would have a bit a problem with the "removing the light bulbs" part.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:04 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I took an old soldering iron and instead of glue, ABS plastic welded in some metal hinges. I also altered the position a bit so it wouldn't put as much clamping force on the new hinges.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

You would think on Chevrolet’s flagship sports car that it would be better designed . I have owned many cars and none of the lids broke. BTW nicenwrite up.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

That's an awful lot of work to fix something that no self respecting sports car should ever have in the first place. When did lighted vanity mirrors become "must have" options??? Someone posted replacement leather covered visors, that would be my option if I could get them in diamond blue to match my interior.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Leather Visors. 951 775 5627. His name is Adrian. Tell him Mike from Washington recommended him. PM me if you would like photos of mine.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Very nice bit of fabricating, there. Nice job.

Get notified of new replies

To Vanity mirror fixed

Quick Reply: Vanity mirror fixed