C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Vetting for a while . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Perry? Ha, you're not that far away. My mom was from the Cattaraugus area; I still have a couple of cousins there.

Yes, tis beautiful around WNY -- except for early spring.

I will assume you probably go to the Silver Lake car shows? I never have, but they're well known around here.

Yes I do go occasionally to the Thursday night Cruise In...and the Super Cruises on the 3rd Thursday of the month...The owner is a friend of mine and I live on Silver Lake across the lake from the Charcoal Corral...Nice area to live with low traffic....and plenty of cows
Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefff1
Yes I do go occasionally to the Thursday night Cruise In...and the Super Cruises on the 3rd Thursday of the month...The owner is a friend of mine and I live on Silver Lake across the lake from the Charcoal Corral...Nice area to live with low traffic....and plenty of cows
LOL @ cows.

Yeah, my mom grew up in dairy country, near Little Valley/New Albion actually.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 AM
CelestialShow
Le Mans Master

Yes, I remember your thread about it.

I take it you're out west or something . . . ? During the summer it's nothing but green green green around here in the boonies.

Really?? I've probably heard of him, it's not a big place.
It IS lushly beautiful but do you get the bugs, bugs, bugs to go with it?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CelestialShow
It IS lushly beautiful but do you get the bugs, bugs, bugs to go with it?
Yes: black flies in early spring, but they're only around a couple of weeks, then come the deer flies from mid-June til mid-August. I don't have many mosquitoes. Some summers are bad for horseflies, but it's been several years.

I hate them all. It is one reason to look forward to fall. This summer's weather has been totally screwed up (unstable) and I hope we don't get another brutal winter like last year.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
A few weeks ago we had one of those rainfalls. About 10 inches in several hours. Luckily our basement stayed dry but many around me who had never had water in their basements in over thirty years weren't so lucky. Several roads also washed out and still closed.

Those hundred year rains seem to be coming yearly events.
What is a basement?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 AM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes: black flies in early spring, but they're only around a couple of weeks, then come the deer flies from mid-June til mid-August. I don't have many mosquitoes. Some summers are bad for horseflies, but it's been several years.

I hate them all. It is one reason to look forward to fall. This summer's weather has been totally screwed up (unstable) and I hope we don't get another brutal winter like last year.

We're pretty lucky here on the lake...No black flies...deer flies..horse flies and haven't seen any mosquitoes this year. I do a bunch of sign work in the Ellicottville and Salamanca area...Love driving down there
Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

We're pretty lucky here on the lake...No black flies...deer flies..horse flies and haven't seen any mosquitoes this year. I do a bunch of sign work in the Ellicottville and Salamanca area...Love driving down there
Yes, you're lucky. I hate deer flies the most. They are a royal PITA and they're around for two months.

Ha Ellicottville! In the late '90s a bunch of us would do Harley rides down there in the summer, park the bikes behind the Inn, walk from bar to bar and drink ourselves silly all weekend. What a great drinking town. Too old for that now though.

My mom was born in Salamanca.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

I walked down to where they were working on my road today. They were doing other things besides filling the gigantic hole where the road was. So I asked one of the guys when they thought the road might open again.

He said they couldn't do anything to the hole until some engineer looks at it first. Sheesh.

The road's been closed since Monday. [government] [/government]

I haven't been Vetting since Saturday and it's gnawing at me.

I put the charger on it tonight.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Long story, which includes numerous phone calls, dealing with two different townships, and going to a town meeting, but they FINALLY opened the south end of my road this past Thursday, which has been closed since the flood on July 28. They will not repave this section until spring but at least it's OPEN. Too bad I'm planning on putting the Vette to sleep for the winter in a few days.

(From my driveway going south, less than 1/2 mile, it is paved until I get to the main road. Going north it is gravel, about 3/4 mile until I get to the main road.)

I have been driving out the rough, long, gravel north end (3/4 mile) since this happened in July, doing 5 mph most of the way. I haven't been vetting as much as I would have because it was such a pain getting out and then getting back in.

About 3-4 weeks ago they re-did the whole section of gravel road (going north) putting down stone dust and rolling it. It's almost like being paved so that was a good thing. I didn't cringe anymore every time I drove on it.

The part going south that's been closed since the flood on July 28; pik taken July 29:

October 23:

Old 10-25-2014, 01:03 PM
One Kick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like I always say...no one does green better than WNY
Then you haven't been to New Hampshire (I think they claim the state is 85% wooded), we had a lot of green here, problem is the green turned to pretty colors then to brown and now all of it is my front and back yard which will soon be all white. You gotta love it!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Gars08vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by One Kick
Then you haven't been to New Hampshire (I think they claim the state is 85% wooded), we had a lot of green here, problem is the green turned to pretty colors then to brown and now all of it is my front and back yard which will soon be all white. You gotta love it!
I'm 40 miles south of you, same here.

Just about time to go get the Stabil. A sad time of year for sure.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by One Kick
This was taken from Gannet Hill, Ontario County, NY. I live about 3 miles up that valley.

Tuesday is supposed to be 70 and sunny here, but the weather's going downhill from there so that will probably my last day Vetting for this season.

Honeoye Lake, a few miles from me:

Quick Reply: No Vetting for a while . . .