C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car randomly pops out of 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car randomly pops out of 2nd gear

I've had my 2011 Grand Sport for a little less than 2 months now and it's happened about a dozen times where I go to shift into 2nd, it seems to engage, I let off the clutch and give it gas and it pops into neutral. No grinding or anything, but it feels like it almost hits some sort of rubber barrier going into second.

I was thinking of purchasing a MGW shifter to see if this could remedy the problem, but before I go spending $400, I wanted to see if any of you had this experience and were able to fix it.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Used car problems...

I would fear a transmission problem more than the shifter, just a uneducated guess though.

Sorry for the problem with the new purchase.

let us know what the final fix is.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

A tranny can 'pop out' of gear when the synchronizers are worn. There may be other causes in your situation.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Let me just clarify that I've driven the car for over 3,000 miles in less than two months. I do drive a good amount, so a dozen times probably comes out to 1% of the time. It also only happens at lower rpm's.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first thing I would do is check the adjustment of the linkage and do the ranger method on the clutch fluid.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Years ago, it would be the synchros causing that. Today, I have no idea. Get it checked first before you go spending money blindly.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
A tranny can 'pop out' of gear when the synchronizers are worn. There may be other causes in your situation.
or bent shift fork, one or the other!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Wakemaker89
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the exact same issue in my 12 GS, had it 2 months and put about 2500 miles on it. Tried the ranger method clutch fluid clean as my fluid was a nasty black from what I assume is 50k miles without a change. Hasn't resolved it for me either still pops out every so often. I bought an MGW to put in but before I swap it out I will probably take it in to the dealer and see if they have heard of this issue before.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 AM
LS3Knight
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing
I've had my 2011 Grand Sport for a little less than 2 months now and it's happened about a dozen times where I go to shift into 2nd, it seems to engage, I let off the clutch and give it gas and it pops into neutral. No grinding or anything, but it feels like it almost hits some sort of rubber barrier going into second.

I was thinking of purchasing a MGW shifter to see if this could remedy the problem, but before I go spending $400, I wanted to see if any of you had this experience and were able to fix it.

Thanks!
Same thing on my 2010 base. Rarely happens so I always assumed it was something I'm doing.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Wakemaker89
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't experience it in any other gear and am wondering if it may have something to do with the CAGS system. I very rarely ever see the 1-4 Light up in my dash. I've ordered a skip shift eliminator to see if that makes more of a difference than the new clutch fluid.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Havent had that happen to me in the Z but it used to happen in my old Mustang. It used to happen once in a while then it got progressively worse. More than likey it's a bent shift fork or a worn shift fork pad. An MGW won't help. Fluid change might.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 PM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Originally Posted by Wakemaker89
I'm having the exact same issue in my 12 GS, had it 2 months and put about 2500 miles on it. Tried the ranger method clutch fluid clean as my fluid was a nasty black from what I assume is 50k miles without a change. Hasn't resolved it for me either still pops out every so often. I bought an MGW to put in but before I swap it out I will probably take it in to the dealer and see if they have heard of this issue before.
Let me know how the MGW works for you!

I don't experience it in any other gear and am wondering if it may have something to do with the CAGS system. I very rarely ever see the 1-4 Light up in my dash. I've ordered a skip shift eliminator to see if that makes more of a difference than the new clutch fluid.
You could be on to something there because I purchased a CAGS skip shift elimator too. I never looked to see if it only does this when the 1-4 light is on
Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's an interesting point. If the second gear lockout solenoid ,.i.e CAGS, was binding up it might let you shift to second but impeade a full engagement.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Kurt D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Popping out of 1st or 2nd at low rpms was a common issue in F-body T-56s with worn out syncros or bent forks, often caused by a bad shift or few while at WOT. My friend's SS did it, had the transmission rebuild and upgraded = problem solved. For the record his started out doing it once in a blue moon but got more common until it was a pain. I haven't read about it recently with newer T-56 and 6060s but I'd bet the issue is the same. Bring it in while it has warranty and have them fix the transmission.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks!
Had the same problem with my 01 Z T 56.

I changed oil, put on an aftermarket shifter and it did the same thing.

I think the guys in the above posts nailed it. Mine had bad synchros, blocker rings, bent forks and other stuff. (Car was never driven hard)

If your factory warranty is still good, have a trusted dealer check it out..

Best of luck, 2k
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my money is on the synchros also, in my race car it normally starts popping out of 4th, then it starts grinding a bit, then it pops out in other gears and it's game over. luckily this is not for a corvette and transmissions are super cheap.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't a transmission problem be covered under the longer 100K mile power train warranty?

Get notified of new replies

To Car randomly pops out of 2nd gear

Old 07-30-2014, 12:33 AM
LS3Knight
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me know how the MGW works for you!

You could be on to something there because I purchased a CAGS skip shift elimator too. I never looked to see if it only does this when the 1-4 light is on
I noticed today as it happened again, that I was about to hit 15 mph when I shifted to 2nd, which is when the 1-4 skip initiates. If 1-4 shift light is on, you can't shift into 2nd. I'm thinking that when you shift into 2nd as the shift skip comes on, it pops out of 2nd.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 AM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

I installed my MGW shifter and lower shift box yesterday after work. The shifts are much more precise and crisp and no popping out of second gear. With my stock shifter it almost felt as if there was some sort of rubber that was stopping it from fully engaging second gear, causing it to pop out when I hit the gas. When I removed my stock shifter I noticed a good amount of small rubber shavings at the base of the shifter. I feel like this could have had something to do with my second gear issue. I'll do some more driving this weekend and see if second gear continues to hold up well, but I think it's ok. My 2-3 shift under hard acceleration is also significantly easier and more precise. Very happy with my purchase
Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I installed my MGW shifter and lower shift box yesterday after work. The shifts are much more precise and crisp and no popping out of second gear. With my stock shifter it almost felt as if there was some sort of rubber that was stopping it from fully engaging second gear, causing it to pop out when I hit the gas. When I removed my stock shifter I noticed a good amount of small rubber shavings at the base of the shifter. I feel like this could have had something to do with my second gear issue. I'll do some more driving this weekend and see if second gear continues to hold up well, but I think it's ok. My 2-3 shift under hard acceleration is also significantly easier and more precise. Very happy with my purchase
Good to know; I'll keep this filled away. I would have bet on the 2nd gear synchro being bad myself......mine has never been as smooth as the other gears, mostly when first starting out in the morning.

Quick Reply: Car randomly pops out of 2nd gear